OWTB Membership?

Just a thought (don't know if it would work so dont shoot me!)

Would people still use these forums if they had to pay a monthly or yearly membership subscription? with all proceeds going to Latics, or is that pushing the boat out too far!

I think it would severely minimise the troublecausers too, as they would be less likely to simply recreate a new account.

But I would like to think that by charging for 'OWTB Membership', you would get a bit more than simply access to the boards.

As Zorrro said though, I would think the majority of people would not use the forum if there was a subscription fee involved, but its definitely an idea worth discussing further.

But I would like to think that by charging for 'OWTB Membership', you would get a bit more than simply access to the boards.

Linking something in with Latics Player perhaps? Flirt a few video interviews includes OWTB membership also.

Perhaps non-subscribers can only read and not post? Subscribers get gold treatment such as voucher at club shop and more functions available? Non-subscribers get a stripped down version of the site?

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

The club make money from owtb as it is.

I'd hazard a guess that income would drop if it involved a fee for membership.

I agree, I am not sure that it woudl work.

I suppose it it were £1 per year, and there were say 1,000 people who paid, it would be £1,000 per year the club did not have.

Would that pay for the hosting etc?

But I think that £1 would still be a barrier.

With all the multi accounters, there is a low enough gene pool on here already.... :grin:

As lookers carl said it would minimise the trouble causers... & i think Frankly Mr Shankly has made some good ideas there, I can't see why it would stop people coming on if it was say £1 a month - hardly breaking the bank is it!

£1 a year wouldn't even cover the cost of collecting it! :lol:

The only way I've seen any kind of donation work has been when it is an entirely voluntary one-off request to cover forum running costs. (Contrary to the beliefs of many, internet forums don't magically earn fortunes out of nothing and most are actuall subsidised in some way.)

Just out of curiousity - all these people saying ''not a chance'' - in what way do u give money to the club? Call me short minded but I can imagine them being among the stayaways who wont spend a penny on latics...

personally im a season ticket holder & also home & away shirt owner as well as making several purchases throughout the year from the club shop - not neccessarily because i want something from the shop but just because its giving money to help the team i love...

Just out of curiousity - all these people saying ''not a chance'' - in what way do u give money to the club? Call me short minded but I can imagine them being among the stayaways who wont spend a penny on latics...

personally im a season ticket holder & also home & away shirt owner as well as making several purchases throughout the year from the club shop - not neccessarily because i want something from the shop but just because its giving money to help the team i love...

Well people know my status... I would of voted no when I was coming every game though and just buggered off and used a free one which would without spring up to replace this free one...

Well people know my status... I would of voted no when I was coming every game though and just buggered off and used a free one which would without spring up to replace this free one...

Fair point...

I just thought id throw the idea out there and was hoping for people to better my initial idea. I like the thought of merging latics player with OWTB - it seems like it could better the service of both... at what cost i dont know

It's a hurdle for a user to negotiate.

As soon as you put hurdles in front of people, you are providing them with an incentive to walk away. Why would you do that?

It's an idea worth discussing, but for me 90% of people will simply stop bothering, find an alternative (free) messageboard or start talking to their wife instead of wasting away on owtb.

It would kill of the site and kill off a 5 figure income for Latics.

It's a hurdle for a user to negotiate.

As soon as you put hurdles in front of people, you are providing them with an incentive to walk away. Why would you do that?

It's an idea worth discussing, but for me 90% of people will simply stop bothering, find an alternative (free) messageboard or start talking to their wife instead of wasting away on owtb.

It would kill of the site and kill off a 5 figure income for Latics.

Perhaps people wifes will pay the fee then?!

The problem there, robboman, is that half the people who use OWTB live outside the borough and this is their primary way of keeping in touch with the club. Many of them spend enough on travel without being asked to pay more for an internet site.

As for the stayaways, speaking for myself this is the only way I'm now keeping any kind of contact with OAFC and the only way my interest may ever be sparked enough to return to games. Given the option to pay for OWTB or disappear altogether I'll be doing the latter.

I'm not knocking people for having ideas, this is as good a place as any for digging up the odd good one, and even an idea that won't work can prompt one that might. I just don't want people wasting effort on ones that won't work. (Yes that's just my opinion, but in this case I have enough experience with internet forums to know it's an opinion backed up by fact).

Edit - given this is the "official" forum, there's a case for combining the online content into a better, more powerful site. Then, it could work out that subscriptions to the Latics Player element might also give "extras" on other parts of the site, including the forum. The problem is that to do that the club would probably have to drop out of the generic premiumtv (or whatever it is these days) deal and go their own way for all web presence. And that would mean paying a good webmonkey properly.