What next............................

I like how it seems the same people who hate City with a vengeance look back to the 80s and explain some resentment coming from clashes between fans then...and now wish us to still hate them with the same passion now as if that sort of mentality is a good thing.

Pathetic.

was you there in the 80's then...

or are you now just some peace loving tree hugging hippy who thinks everyone and anyone should get along like the osmand family for ever and a day because times moved on...

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or are you now just some peace loving tree hugging hippy who thinks everyone and anyone should get along like the osmand family for ever and a day because times moved on...

I wasn't Im under 30 its abit unhealthy to hold grudges over things that happened over a quarter of a century ago. As for City well like United I have a mild dislike of them these days which will only devlop into a hatred the next time we play them

But that's the point - times have moved on. Tree-hugging?! Ha! Pathetic.

Please clarify your position for me: do you want a return to the tribal hatred and violence of the 1980s, or do you just hold a grudge about events decades ago?

Whichever way, the senseless vehemence with which some of dare-I-say an older generation view fans of other teams resulted in scenes in the 80s which aren't welcome anymore...and a wish for the modern day fan to hold the same level of dislike is just ridiculous.

I wasn't Im under 30 its abit unhealthy to hold grudges over things that happened over a quarter of a century ago. As for City well like United I have a mild dislike of them these days which will only devlop into a hatred the next time we play them

a bit unhealthy,hahaha

ok so you have a child and that child gets knocked over and killed by a drink driver....would you not hold a grudge against the driver for the rest of your life????

maybe you had to be there to experience the verocity of what was happening to appreciate how scary it was and how it lives with you forever.

youreally think city n united fans look upon us a friends and awww ikkle owdem....there fans were openly discussing when the buckets were out how good it would be if we folded,they would get new fans and get to support a proper team in a proper ground for once

Please clarify your position for me: do you want a return to the tribal hatred and violence of the 1980s, or do you just hold a grudge about events decades ago?

Whichever way, the senseless vehemence with which some of dare-I-say an older generation view fans of other teams resulted in scenes in the 80s which aren't welcome anymore...and a wish for the modern day fan to hold the same level of dislike is just ridiculous.

tribal hatred has never gone away..football hooligans are still there today in some guise or other....

no i wouldnt want a return to those days now i have children who go to games with me....and i dont think many people would...

but you just dont forget the past like it never happened....everytime you play one of those teams the memorys return fondly or not....its part of what makes us football fans...

so if city or united said right...were buying bp bulldozing it and turning it into our youth acadamys...we dont exist any more because of it you still wouldnt have bad feelings towards them???

tribal hatred has never gone away..football hooligans are still there today in some guise or other....

no i wouldnt want a return to those days now i have children who go to games with me....and i dont think many people would...

but you just dont forget the past like it never happened....everytime you play one of those teams the memorys return fondly or not....its part of what makes us football fans...

so if city or united said right...were buying bp bulldozing it and turning it into our youth acadamys...we dont exist any more because of it you still wouldnt have bad feelings towards them???

Football hooligans are still there in some guise, but come off it...it's no way near as bad anymore.

The last point is ridiculous and off the point.

I think perhaps you're not getting what I'm saying - the new generation of Oldham fans don't have the memories you're talking about. To pass them onto them and encourage such vehement hatred is unhealthy. The fans of the 80s had bad experiences - we get it. But teaching tribal hatred and showing exasperation the majority of those under 30 don't feel the same way as those 'in the good old days' is ridiculous.

Football hooligans are still there in some guise, but come off it...it's no way near as bad anymore.

The last point is ridiculous and off the point.

I think perhaps you're not getting what I'm saying - the new generation of Oldham fans don't have the memories you're talking about. To pass them onto them and encourage such vehement hatred is unhealthy. The fans of the 80s had bad experiences - we get it. But teaching tribal hatred and showing exasperation the majority of those under 30 don't feel the same way as those 'in the good old days' is ridiculous.

fair enough....but dont try and come down on the holier than thou side of "it happened get over it move on" because it doesnt fit into todays game and it isnt what todays fans are like....

people shouldnt be pillaried or condemned for having the hatred towards other fans,just like those that dont have hatred shouldnt as well...

if someone hates city and you dont fine..but dont tell them or lecture them that they cant feel like that anymore...

and a wish for the modern day fan to hold the same level of dislike is just ridiculous.

This is where the game is getting overly sanitised these days, tribal hatred is part of the game's appeal. OK, so it's channelled in different ways it seems (not all donkey jackets and snooker balls in socks) but holding grudges is what turns a decent atmosphere into an electric atmosphere. That and a last minute winner against hated rivals always helps.

I half hope something happens in our game against Rochdale to spark a new bubbling rivalry off. No, not someone getting killed or a pub getting trashed, something to spark it on the pitch. Chris O'Grady to break Taylor's leg in a rash challenge or suchlike. We need that game where you look forward to every season with trepidation along with a hint of anxiety to make you feel real again.

This is where the game is getting overly sanitised these days, tribal hatred is part of the game's appeal. OK, so it's channelled in different ways it seems (not all donkey jackets and snooker balls in socks) but holding grudges is what turns a decent atmosphere into an electric atmosphere. That and a last minute winner against hated rivals always helps.

I half hope something happens in our game against Rochdale to spark a new bubbling rivalry off. No, not someone getting killed or a pub getting trashed, something to spark it on the pitch. Chris O'Grady to break Taylor's leg in a rash challenge or suchlike. We need that game where you look forward to every season with trepidation along with a hint of anxiety to make you feel real again.

Agreed (Taylor leg-break aside :wink:).

a bit unhealthy,hahaha

ok so you have a child and that child gets knocked over and killed by a drink driver....would you not hold a grudge against the driver for the rest of your life????

maybe you had to be there to experience the verocity of what was happening to appreciate how scary it was and how it lives with you forever.

youreally think city n united fans look upon us a friends and awww ikkle owdem....there fans were openly discussing when the buckets were out how good it would be if we folded,they would get new fans and get to support a proper team in a proper ground for once

Not the same thing as having your child killed by a drunk driver really is it.

However

Perhaps you have a point maybe I had to be their in the 80's. My hatred for the 2 manc teams has subsided somewhat since school really us Oldham fans get a tough time at school with all those United and City fans and the ususal why do you support that :censored:e comments which is even worse when you don't even live in Oldham.

Perhaps local rivalries are not as straight forward for us Oldham fans as they are for Newcastle and Sunderland fans say or Bristol city and bristol rovers or Sheffield wednesday and sheffiled united who's rivalries are based on a mutual contempt.Geographically speaking ours should be Rochdale but do we really hate them?. We hate man u and man city mainly because of the gobby ones we meet in our locals at work or school who give us the why do you support that :censored:e comments as stated above. But ive never really felt the hatred was felt mutually I mean how many anti Oldham songs do united or city have? It posssibly depends which ones you encouter I know quite a few city and united fans who are genuine football fans and who are keen to ask how Oldham get on. However this isn't the norm and the gobby ones can get fuggered for all I care.

Edited by GlossopLatic

told you there wouldnt of been many city fans. I went and borrowed a city fans season ticket this morning. Got to the ground at twenty to 3 only to be told I had to go to the ticket office which having just walked past was chocka full of people buying dale and accy tickets.

Luckily I had a friend for a fiver voucher from a mate so just opted to use that instead of the hassle.

Any city fan being told that and then seeing the queue would of got straight back in their car and gone home.

Club dropped a bollock with this offer - the only people I know who took the offer up are Oldham fans who've managed to get hold of a city mates season ticket for the day. Whilst the club have pissed it's fanbase off.

That's quality J.

As for C**y, biggest bunch of t**ts on the planet, full stop.

a bit unhealthy,hahaha

If he drove a ford, would you go around hating ford cars?

It's not as if citeh as a club support terrace violence, and it's not as if the city fans who might have turned up would be the ones beating the crap out of people. But, if you want to hate someone for the actions of someone they are not and they do not condone, then you're a bigot. That's the essence of the word.

Good job you've never been punched by someone from Pakistan isn't it?

ps My Dads a citeh fan. How much should I hate him? My next door neighbour (really nice bloke in every way) is a manure fan, how much should I hate him? Clearly I'm not a proper latics fan by the "judgement" (aka irrational hatred based on bigotry) of some "fans".

Personally I cannot stand Man United and I dislike Manchester City. Both teams who don't give a :censored: about us in my opinion. However, I do hope its a brilliant atmosphere at Rochdale and i hope there is some kind of rivalry.

So do I football rivalries are part and parcel of the game I like that extra bit of tension I get in my stomach when their is a big game when we take a big following away from home or when their is a big following coming to BP.

So do I football rivalries are part and parcel of the game I like that extra bit of tension I get in my stomach when their is a big game when we take a big following away from home or when their is a big following coming to BP.

I couldn't agree more pal. I love the feeling too. After todays game i was absolutely delighted getting 2 goals late on. And i know that i'll have a tense feeling before the rochdale game. I think we NEED them sorts of games that can get fiesty or abit rowdy. It is a very southern league what we are in. So i think its best to make the most of games vs northern teams such as Huddersfield, Tranmere, Rochdale and Sheffield Wednesday. Take example for today. I could hear some atmosphere coming from the chaddy end and its really good to hear. I love getting behind the latics and having a good loud sing song. I don't mean to kind of rivalry where theres fights breaking out even though it does happen from time to time with fans, i just mean having a bit of a chanting session.

Edited by ah_oafc

was it this game they openly ran across the pitch with a set of ladders...i do remember that game....i was in the chaddy....and i remember the sheff wednesday game,i had shiny new docs on for that one and took quite a few out at the corner of the chaddy......i also remember our promotion against wednesday when there fans started kicking lumps out of kids in the chaddy,i got a good few that day as well...

hate city united wednesday and leeds fans with a vengence....

i dont have a problem with the club trying to improve match day attendances,but i do have a problem with the club pimping itself and pleading with other clubs fans to turn up...

if they can discount it for them then why on earth cant they discount it for us....cant go today because im absolutely skint and payday isnt till thursday,but if i did id be tempted to borrow a season ticket or even go with a fellow tic and get in for a fiver....saving meself 15 on the day...so it just doesnt make financial sense

This game was played the week of my birthday. Most of my mates at school were city fans and my old man thought it would be a great idea to go to the game and have fish and chips after. We left at half time when it was clear we were developing some kind of acute stress reaction, nobody spoke in the car on the way home and I don't think we talked about it until a week after.

This thread is kinda why I'm thinking of giving up going to football matches altogether.

I'll get my football fix on telly and start going to the rugby for my live sport fix. At least at a rugby match you can enjoy watching the violence on the pitch and have a pint and a bit of intelligent chat with fans of both sides off the pitch without feeling any need to launch into juvenile tribal warfare to try and prove one's masculinity.

By the way, I hate neither United nor City. In my opinion there is only one football club worthy of an emotion anywhere near as extreme as hatred. And that's the filthy sheep sh*gging scum over t'hill. Even more so while that c*nt is their chairman.

By the way, I hate neither United nor City. In my opinion there is only one football club worthy of an emotion anywhere near as extreme as hatred. And that's the filthy sheep sh*gging scum over t'hill. Even more so while that c*nt is their chairman.

:applause1:

City and Utd are just other clubs at the moment. At present we have no rivalary with them and haven't for a while. whereas with leeds we've have a lot more recent rivalry.