match abandoned - merge o matic active

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Knowing how amateurish Rochdale have been over the years with calling games off due to their :censored:ty pitch (and given the amount of money they have made over the last four or five years it really is a pisstake that they have done little to remedy it) i'm sure they will try to cash in. If they do, they can stick it!

Again this is absolute rubbish. As I posted on another thread we have only had 3 (Now 4) games called off due to waterlogging in the past 5 years. In that time we have also spent well over £100,000 on a new drainage system, sprinkler system and the pitch has been laser levelled. That pitch is now easily the best we have ever had and is like a bowling green. Unfortunately there was just simply too much water on it last night.

Again this is absolute rubbish. As I posted on another thread we have only had 3 (Now 4) games called off due to waterlogging in the past 5 years. In that time we have also spent well over £100,000 on a new drainage system, sprinkler system and the pitch has been laser levelled. That pitch is now easily the best we have ever had and is like a bowling green. Unfortunately there was just simply too much water on it last night.

hope you got a guarantee - it doesnt work! :lol:

I live behind the BP garage in Norden so hardly that far from Spotland. I was amazed at how bad the pitch was. It wasn't flooded that badly anwhere else around there and my lawn has a better drainage than that.

£100000? Ripped off!!!! Who did it? Vance Miller?

Only 4 in 5 years? I'd say thats quite a lot!

Edited by pukka

Bollocks. Bury's game was still on.

I have little doubt that if the referee had bothered to pass a ball between the centre-circle and penalty area at 6.45pm, the game would have been called off at that point. The pitch was playable in a comedy sort of way but wholly unsafe. I know that the grass would have had a saturation point but after a whole day of raining, did it really arrive at 7.45pm after the game had kicked-off?

Without wanting to beat the conspiracy drum too hard, consider you're the money man at a football club and after incurring the cost of policing, advertising, wages for club staff, programmes and the delivery of 1,000 Clayton Park pies (had the steak and it was actually quite nice), would you want the game calling off before 6,000 fans had made a contribution?

In my opinion the referee did not perform an adequate pitch inspection, however formal or informal it had to be and Rochdale, after realising the position they were in certainly did nothing to alert the referee to the extent of the problem. You could have run those sponge rollers around the place all night and it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference. Any groundskeeper worth his salt would have known that.

P.S. If they make a charge for the replay, I'm using my ticket stub to get leathered at Tokyo's!

Over the same period, and being only 5 or so miles away, we have had exactly NO games called off due to waterlogging. You have a crap pitch FACT

Over the same period, and being only 5 or so miles away, we have had exactly NO games called off due to waterlogging. You have a crap pitch FACT

Last game we had called off for waterlogging was October 2000 v Luton Town.

Had a few for frozen pitches/Snow though - Tranmere NYD '02, Brentford Jan' 03, Rectum March '04, Hartlepool Jan '09, Tranmere Boxing Day '09, Brentford Jan '09, Orient Jan '09 and i'm sure there's been a few others..

But for the Dale fan to claim they've only had a few games called off is bollocks. If you go back as far as I have I bet they've had 10-15 games called off since our last one for waterlogging and God knows how many egg-chasing match-ups...

how many would go back if we did have to pay for the re match ??

Depends how much.

But if they do then me and quite a few people i know wont be buying anything that will give Dale more money.

Doubt they will though, many Dale fans in college and their families who went last night, have said that if Dale try to charge again - Dale can get stuffed and they wont be going for a while

I know of two fans who flew in from Frankfurt to watch this game...

...and two Dale fans from Dublin.

All wasn't lost though. We had a good time in Studds Bar at Spotland until closing time and then in a Dale pub until 2:00am. And we've got to do it all over again! B)

This was the scene outside the Dale Bar at Spotland at about 11:30pm.

5142931239_0338bcf2dc_z.jpg
Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Surely the game could've been called off a good 2-3 hours before kick off with the rain we were having? There's no way the pitch got that bad in the hour leading up to the game. A pointless £15 wasted for me travelling over from preston anyway...

Could have been worse...

£80 flight from Isle of Man, £42.50 Travelodge, 2 days off work, plus the obvious expense of tickets, trains, taxis, booze!!!

Saw a Rochdale fan and the plane as well!

Not please but what are you gonna do

Could have been worse...

£80 flight from Isle of Man, £42.50 Travelodge, 2 days off work, plus the obvious expense of tickets, trains, taxis, booze!!!

Saw a Rochdale fan and the plane as well!

Not please but what are you gonna do

To be fair, for you (and myself) calling the game at 6pm wouldn't have made a jot of difference.

The drinking started at four for me, so there was no chance of it being called off that early.

To be fair, for you (and myself) calling the game at 6pm wouldn't have made a jot of difference.

The drinking started at four for me, so there was no chance of it being called off that early.

Suppose so, drinking started much earlier, but could have saved a wasted trip to Rochdale in the rain as was staying in Manchester, could have had a night out in the Printworks or whatever, but wasn't in the mood after, I only got to Rochdale about 7pm and had checked online on phone and seen Rochdale said it would be on!

I find it embarassing that in this day and age, a League One game can be called off due a waterlogged pitch. Even more so when 10 minutes down the road Bury managed to complete their game.

I bet the police cant wait to do it all again. The whole thing was handled woefully, but thats due to it being a derby, if it was Plymouth at home the game would have been off a lot lot sooner.

Letting both sets of fans out at the same time wasnt the brightest idea in the world either.

Edit Chances of Accrington being postponed at weekend?

Edited by Butter

...Chances of Accrington being postponed at weekend?

The rarely-read Lancashire Telegraph reported on 9th August:

Stanley spent £70,000 to level and improve the pitch during the summer after a string of postponements during the last two seasons.

But the club had to call off a pre-season friendly with Burnley because the work was behind schedule and an attempt to reverse their fixture with Aldershot was blocked by the Football League, despite both clubs’ agreement.

Both sides found passing football difficult as the pitch cut up badly in Saturday’s 0-0 draw, most notably in one corner.

One visiting player described the surface as ‘a bog’ and the worst he had ever played on, sparking early fears of postponements in winter if the pitch deteriorates with more games.

“That cost £70,000?” said Aldershot manager Kevin Dillon. I’m just thankful we have no injuries. It looked to me as though one of their lads (Rory Boulding) twisted his ankle quite badly at the end and that was definitely the pitch. The ball got stuck under your feet and it wasn’t bouncing. It was dreadful. They’ve had four months to get the pitch right and it’s inadequate.”