Barry Owen............

Barry Owen  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Simple, stay or go??

• Stay
    • Go

so which will you do then???

people will always criticise when they dont get answers to questions that have been asked...for you to just say well yes,we do put these questions to the other trust members and so on isnt good enough for them...

what is exactly wrong with doing something on a monthly basis,it can be built into other duties and commitments surely.

the fans want to know what is going on at all levels,not just ideas banded about...

in this day and age multimedia is all the rage.even the queen has her own facebook page!!!

people dont always want a face to face meet,an email and the like,they just would like snippetts of info of the daily or monthly goings on inside the club...is it really that difficult to accomodate this request????

Well put, it is such a simple and useful tool for a situation like this. It is obviously a good idea. Which leads me to thinking that

1. He has nothing to write about because his position is worthless and he has no access to goings on at the club

or 2. He is being censored

as he seems to be completely against the idea.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spot on !!!...Barry is, was, and always will be nothing more than a puppet for the owners who has replaced his police career with another that he feels gives him power over joe public!!

I assume you know Barry well.

I don't, so I have no idea what kind of "power" he likes or dislikes.

My only thoughts are that he doesn't write brilliantly - foot in mouth syndrome. Any blog should be proof read by someone with PR skills!

My only thoughts are that he doesn't write brilliantly - foot in mouth syndrome. Any blog should be proof read by someone with PR skills!

I think you have caught the "foot in mouth " syndrome cos yes i do actually!! I,ve been in his company quite a few times, although on every occasion i have nodded off listening to his twaddle !! , Nothin personal but he is holding the Trust back and nullifying its progress , you watch him leave and it will take off in a much more positive and successful way , and the truth is anyone who really cared about the club over his own ego would walk away if they knew they had the vast majority of the fans against them , and as for the vote i would be interested to ask everyone who has voted for him to stay is it cos they think he is doing a good job or just cos they feel sorry for him cos he is being critiscised !!

Apoligies if i misunderstood your comment to insinuate i was making uneducated comments about Bazza , and if you where insinuating then :tongue1:

All of, "Barry's," comments public comments for a year or two were in fact ghost written by the poster formerly known as, "Inspiral Carpet." The problem is that it's not the way Barry presents his opinions that is the problem, it's what his opinions are. This is where the Trust got it so wrong (and where the then OWTB team should have drawn a line in terms of conflict of interest) - if you have to materially doctor what the top man says as a matter of course before you allow it to go out without it outraging the public, the problem isn't PR, it's the views of the top man.

All of, "Barry's," comments public comments for a year or two were in fact ghost written by the poster formerly known as, "Inspiral Carpet." The problem is that it's not the way Barry presents his opinions that is the problem, it's what his opinions are. This is where the Trust got it so wrong (and where the then OWTB team should have drawn a line in terms of conflict of interest) - if you have to materially doctor what the top man says as a matter of course before you allow it to go out without it outraging the public, the problem isn't PR, it's the views of the top man.

I buy that.

Tell me this isn't true, gawd, tell me it isn't true...

I have given very careful consideration to a number of ideas throughout this thread.

Quite a number who do not know me personally choose to make comments that are well wide of the mark.

I said earlier that the thread should continue as people are entitled to their views. Those views should be restricted to known facts and not assumptions or personal views wrongly arrived at.

It is always the majority that suffer for the minority and therefore I do not consider that I should give my own free time to "blog" on OWTB.

Unfortunately for the 100 or so of you out there who think I should go I will not be doing so. I have a job to do and I will do it.

A democratic process exists in the Trust (for those who do not agree, there is ) and all you have to do is join to have your voting rights. Thereafter I will abide by any poll that occurs when I am due for re-election. I suspect that many of the knockers

will find that hard to do as some find it difficult to support the club in any way. Sorry about the poor PR or perhaps putting my foot in it as you allege, but like the rest of you I am entitled to express my opinion based on the facts as I see them.

Barry

It is always the majority that suffer for the minority and therefore I do not consider that I should give my own free time to "blog" on OWTB.

The idea is for a blog which would appear on the TRUST website. No one said OWTB did they ?

Unfortunately for the 100 or so of you out there who think I should go I will not be doing so. I have a job to do and I will do it.

A democratic process exists in the Trust (for those who do not agree, there is ) and all you have to do is join to have your voting rights. Thereafter I will abide by any poll that occurs when I am due for re-election. I suspect that many of the knockers

will find that hard to do as some find it difficult to support the club in any way. Sorry about the poor PR or perhaps putting my foot in it as you allege, but like the rest of you I am entitled to express my opinion based on the facts as I see them.

Barry

Erm... Don't know where to start with this... Does the trust even know how many paid up members they have. No one could tell me when I asked this question a while back. Also, wasn't there an almighty kick off on here a number of months back because you was relected without any of the members being asked to vote or being told about the elections ? There was some unhappy members on here complaining.

Not being a trust member I wouldn't know but I got the impression it was the trusts directors / board that had a say on who was the fan on the board.

Can you clear up and state the process Barry ?

Cheers

EDIT:

http://www.trustoldham.co.uk/pages/about-u...-the-board.aspx

http://www.trustoldham.co.uk/pages/about-u...ip-policy-.aspx

Found these... Can't work out who gets to vote for what though...

Edited by oafc0000

The idea is for a blog which would appear on the TRUST website. No one said OWTB did they ?

Erm... Don't know where to start with this... Does the trust even know how many paid up members they have. No one could tell me when I asked this question a while back. Also, wasn't there an almighty kick off on here a number of months back because you was relected without any of the members being asked to vote or being told about the elections ? There was some unhappy members on here complaining.

Not being a trust member I wouldn't know but I got the impression it was the trusts directors / board that had a say on who was the fan on the board.

Can you clear up and state the process Barry ?

Cheers

The almighty kick off was fueled by confusion of the voting process and how directors/the chair is elected.

It is all on the trust website, but the short version is

- Anyone can stand to be a director, as long as they are a Trust member and have the nominations of a further two trust members.

- The chairman is appointed by trust directors and must be one of the elected directors. There were some people on here who were confused and thought it was a case of a straight forward vote.

Full process is here and here

It is all on the trust website, but the short version is

- Anyone can stand to be a director, as long as they are a Trust member and have the nominations of a further two trust members.

- The chairman is appointed by trust directors and must be one of the elected directors. There were some people on here who were confused and thought it was a case of a straight forward vote.

As I thought...

When is Barry next up for re-election ?

Edited by oafc0000

Another two years I think, but don't quote me on that.

Sounds about right...

So realistically if people want a change then they need to put themselves for election to the board in two years and create change from within.

It surprises me how many people can't be arsed doing that. Don't get me wrong, I openly admit I am not THAT arsed...

Basically.. but each of them must be elected to the board by the members first ? Including Barry ?

Yes, each of the directors on there has been nominated onto the board. When you are elected, its another three years before you are up for election again.

My three year term as a director is/was up this year and I have made the decision not to restand, hence why I am no longer listed on the website.

Yes, each of the directors on there has been nominated onto the board. When you are elected, its another three years before you are up for election again.

My three year term as a director is/was up this year and I have made the decision not to restand, hence why I am no longer listed on the website.

So there are up to 15 slots... 7 slots taken... So that leaves 8 available slots... Seems to me there is a lot of room there for people to make changes very quickly if they really want to rather than creating mickey mouse polls which people won't take seriously.

Whilst the point I am about to make actually in reality now wont matter given TTA are off as soon as possible, I will make it. If the Trust elected someone else to take over Barry's slot, TTA in my opinion wouldn't allow that new person access. Of that I have no doubt's. I believe that for a number of reasons however, had the change been made at the first time of asking then maybe things would have been different, but certainly not now. I think the Trust consitution is wrong in the system to elect the chairman, it should be a straight vote amongst it's member's and not the directors only.

Leave the poll up. You are all entitled to your views and I would rather it be said if thats how you feel.

I offer on a regular basis to meet individuals or groups of fans and will answer virtually anything I am able to give you.

I say it as it is and that does not suit everyone. Why not, that is what the majority of you do yourselves.

I am passionate about the club and my role in representing your best interests. I just do not brag about the innovations and efforts that are made when the "club are listening to fans".

I hold no personal grudges but like it or not I will tell you if I disagree with you.

Never has there been a time when everyone need to work together and I aint going to start divisions now. We all make mistakes and I have made many in the past. Many would be keen to point those out from the early days. !!!!!!.

Barry

Well said Barry

Whilst the point I am about to make actually in reality now wont matter given TTA are off as soon as possible, I will make it. If the Trust elected someone else to take over Barry's slot, TTA in my opinion wouldn't allow that new person access. Of that I have no doubt's. I believe that for a number of reasons however, had the change been made at the first time of asking then maybe things would have been different, but certainly not now.

Which begs the question do TTA reserve right to reject the nominated fans representative ? Did we not get a "right" to a seat in writing when we bought our share.

I think the Trust consitution is wrong in the system to elect the chairman, it should be a straight vote amongst it's member's and not the directors only.

Totally agree... I couldn't believe it a few months ago when posters were making comments to the extent that the membership can't be trusted to elect someone. Not saying that was the view of the trust as I don't know if these posters were trust people or not.

I would also like to add that this coupled with the fact we have only ever had one chairman / fan on the board has really not helped the trust one little bit.

Barry

Yes why on earth would the Chairman of the Oldham Athletic Trust actually want to communicate with the fans of Oldham Athletic? I mean that wouldnt help boost the profile and membership of the Trust at all would it?

Yes why on earth would the Chairman of the Oldham Athletic Trust actually want to communicate with the fans of Oldham Athletic? I mean that wouldnt help boost the profile and membership of the Trust at all would it?

While owtb may not be the right forum for it (I think it is ...) how about the Trust web site, the match programme etc.

If Barry doesn't want to spend time communicating with those who he represents, then does the Trust have the option of forcing some sort of "vote of no confidence" (not now, but when the current rumours regarding ownership have subsided)?

Edited by opinions4u