Barry Owen............

Barry Owen  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Simple, stay or go??

• Stay
    • Go

I won't be voting in this poll as I too find it to be in poor taste.

Anything I write, or have written about Barry Owen is always about his role as the fans representative......... after all I don't know the 'man' so how could I possibly comment. But I have stated before as a fans representative I feel that Barry does not represent my or many other fans views on Oldham Athletic. I have come to this opinion from the things I have read by him on here, and interviews in The Chron; there is far too much preaching to the converted.

But my biggest point is that WE the fans never get any information out of our representative on the board when he is asked to comment. I fully understand that many of the topics discussed at board level could not, and should not be out in the public domain, but many questions have been raised on this forum that I feel could be answered by our representative. Things such as what do Brassbank own and what liabilities do that company have? What do OAFC own? Can Brassbank sell BP from under our feet? spring to mind.

Of course I could be doing Barry a great dis-service as for all any of us know he could be raising these concerns we have at board level, but if so, some feedback would be appreciated. Any daily read of this forum raises enough questions to keep any fans representative busy for a longtime, and until they are answered all this speculation and scaremongering will continue.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having put my head above the parapet some years back and had a very small amount of the personal flak that Barry gets I don't think anyone has a right to make personal criticism unless it is it is founded on a full knowledge of the facts and a willingness to get involved , to whatever extent is possible, themselves.

Barry,

I also thank you for your comments, that goes some way to reassure us the fans. I appreciate there is a level of confidentiality but we have a need to be kept in the loop as much as possible.

the poll is completely innappropriate,and has been seen as a personal attack no matter how many times people say it isnt...

there should have been something a little bit more creative by ways of questions instead of a simple yes or no...

along the lines of...do you think the current trust director is still in touch with todays fans type of questions,something more constructive..

regarding news from the club,in my opinion its still like drip fed out every now and again....the only time we get anything major is when were pleading for fans or money...

could i suggest we have some sort of fortnighly or monthly update just to keep everybody in the loop and upto date with what is happening or likely to happen,this would go a long way to stopping the constant griping about the trust and how news is given out....

Barry

What's the latest on Failsworth? It's been suspiciously quiet for quite some time now and the last I heard some time ago was the council were offering some charitable status land elsewhere in the borough/area to keep the Failsworth burning torch and pitchfork crew happy. But this was ages ago now, what's happening?

The main question for me, and one that never gets answered, is say we get the nod off the Charities Commission and the council grant planning permission, then what?

The club are in a perilous financial position and the men with the money have ‘severed all ties’ with the club, so who’s going to fund the building of this new stadium?

We are genuinely in the hands of the council on this one but work continues in the background on the move.

Barry

Barry I have a suggestion for you!

We could have a thread on here where people pose questions for you! Then you could answer them in a blog , say every 2 weeks or once a month. Obviously, lots of people may ask the same questions or stupid questions which can be grouped together or ignored.

To make things clear maybe the Mods on here could remove any none questions or personal attacks from the thread. Then there could be another thread where people could discuss the answers to the questions until their hearts content!

Barry I have a suggestion for you!

We could have a thread on here where people pose questions for you! Then you could answer them in a blog , say every 2 weeks or once a month. Obviously, lots of people may ask the same questions or stupid questions which can be grouped together or ignored.

To make things clear maybe the Mods on here could remove any none questions or personal attacks from the thread. Then there could be another thread where people could discuss the answers to the questions until their hearts content!

Its funny how often this has been suggested and not actioned...

............ In the words of The Clash, should he stay or should he go?

I for one have had enough of his knee-jerk reactions and constant berating of the fans, he's archaic and offers nothing by way of progression or innovation. Now that's my opinion, what's yours?

I say put it to the vote, let the people decide!!

Anyone going to set it as a poll or is this post about to mysteriously disappear :shock:

Stick to your guns and dont weaken smartz you where right to post this , although you missed off a couple of things

1, Bazza has never or will ever represent the TRUE feelings of the supporters but instead forwards his own opinions to the other board members and if anything is a puppet board member.

2.Many good men have walked away from the trust simply because of this man.

3.Many people wont put money , time or effort into anything fronted by this man.

4.Lets get someone leading the trust who people believe in , respect and most importantly who respects the fans .

Nothing personal Bazza but i,m sure in your career you had to get rid of people who didnt do a very good job , now its your turn

i,m afraid.Thanks for everything and all that :)

Stick to your guns and dont weaken smartz you where right to post this , although you missed off a couple of things

1, Bazza has never or will ever represent the TRUE feelings of the supporters but instead forwards his own opinions to the other board members and if anything is a puppet board member.

2.Many good men have walked away from the trust simply because of this man.

3.Many people wont put money , time or effort into anything fronted by this man.

4.Lets get someone leading the trust who people believe in , respect and most importantly who respects the fans .

Nothing personal Bazza but i,m sure in your career you had to get rid of people who didnt do a very good job , now its your turn

I cant comment on your 2nd point but think you're bang on with the other 3. I would also like to add that it's pointless replacing Barry Owen with someone else unless they radically overhaul the Trust and what its purpose is.

I'm sure that smiley makes all the difference.

By the way Barry, thanks for responding to my question although it was far to brief and woolly to what I was expecting. Work is still going on in the background... We're in the hands of the council... Can you elaborate on this? Have the council given a timeframe on what it is they need to deliver to us? And furthermore, is the stadium still being funded by the sale of the BP land, which of course is owned by Brass Bank Ltd.

I cant comment on your 2nd point but think you're bang on with the other 3. I would also like to add that it's pointless replacing Barry Owen with someone else unless they radically overhaul the Trust and what its purpose is.

[/quote

Nothing personal against the fella but people need to say it how it is , you will always get people defending someone who they think is being subject to a kangaroo court etc but how many of even those people think barry is doing or has done a good job ??

Its funny how often this has been suggested and not actioned...

I thought it has been done and descended into the usual faeces throwing contest.

I may not be Barry's (or the Trust's) biggest fan, I think they've made a couple of absolutely catastrophic errors that may soon come home to roost, however I do know two things:

1. Barry's heart is most certainly in the right place, he does what he does for the love of the club, and I for one would never question his motivation.

2. The role of Fans' Representative on the Board is up there with England Manager in the list of impossible jobs. Whoever does it, however they do it, will get criticised and abused by a vocal minority of fans.

How about a two week/monthly blog Barry, similar along the lines to what Mike Newton did, relating to whats going on, plans for the future, and then at the end have a question&answer section for fans questions?

I agree. The problem is that there are so many questions on these threads to Barry, yet only a choosen few get replied too.

Some questions are not worth replying to at all but other very valid points get ignored whilst Barry does reply to others. I dont know if this intentional or not.

I agree. The problem is that there are so many questions on these threads to Barry, yet only a choosen few get replied too.

Some questions are not worth replying to at all but other very valid points get ignored whilst Barry does reply to others. I dont know if this intentional or not.

Not intentional at all Nik. I try to cover things as I see them. I cannot always be logged in. Some time ago the moderators arranged for a whole host of questions to be submitted that were given to me for reply. This I did to the best of my ability. Even then it was not good enough.

Blogging is okay but that has its problems. As a Club Director, Mike Newton got criticised by many for his blogs and at times the content.

I do agree, certainly in my position communication is essential. I have offered every way possible to do this but you cannot please people all the time. The first part of Trust Meetings is for fans to attend. You should also be aware that I also answer many questions by PM and e mail. I telephone people and have visited fans in the past. I have said I will meet anyone or any group of fans at any time, any location.

Barry

Not intentional at all Nik. I try to cover things as I see them. I cannot always be logged in. Some time ago the moderators arranged for a whole host of questions to be submitted that were given to me for reply. This I did to the best of my ability. Even then it was not good enough.

Blogging is okay but that has its problems. As a Club Director, Mike Newton got criticised by many for his blogs and at times the content.

I do agree, certainly in my position communication is essential. I have offered every way possible to do this but you cannot please people all the time. The first part of Trust Meetings is for fans to attend. You should also be aware that I also answer many questions by PM and e mail. I telephone people and have visited fans in the past. I have said I will meet anyone or any group of fans at any time, any location.

Barry

Hi Barry, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I understand time pressures, but one issue to take up with you is that of Mike Newton's blog.

They wre not criticised by many, they were praised by the majority.

I think the insider snippets was appreciated.

Mike Newton blog thread

The one that was criticised was when he stated that Martin Gray should be boss.

Even though people were happy for him to have an opionion, it was the nailing to the mast and I suppose as he left so soon afterwards he was inflexible on that. He was too new to the business to realise. B ut I think people still appreciated that he explained his reasons for his support.

Edited by singe

Barry

so which will you do then???

people will always criticise when they dont get answers to questions that have been asked...for you to just say well yes,we do put these questions to the other trust members and so on isnt good enough for them...

what is exactly wrong with doing something on a monthly basis,it can be built into other duties and commitments surely.

the fans want to know what is going on at all levels,not just ideas banded about...

in this day and age multimedia is all the rage.even the queen has her own facebook page!!!

people dont always want a face to face meet,an email and the like,they just would like snippetts of info of the daily or monthly goings on inside the club...is it really that difficult to accomodate this request????