Wikileaks bloke gets bail

leeslover

Good thing too. No way should an English court be used to extradite a man on trumped up charges so that the US can smuggle him off to put into a dungeon for the next 80 years because they are pissed off at him.

The founder of whistle-blowing website Wikileaks has been granted bail in London on conditions including cash guarantees of £240,000.

But Julian Assange will remain in custody as prosecutors have two hours to lodge an appeal against bail.

The 39-year-old Australian is fighting extradition to Sweden, where he is accused of sexually assaulting two women - charges he denies.

Other bail conditions include having to give up his passport.

Mr Assange was bailed on condition he provides a security of £200,000 to the court, with a further £40,000 guaranteed in two sureties of £20,000 each.

He will also have to obey a curfew at an address in Suffolk, wear an electronic tag and report to a local police station every evening.

Mr Assange was refused bail last week despite the offer of sureties from figures including film director Ken Loach.

A number of demonstrators gathered outside City of Westminster Magistrates' Court for the bail hearing on Tuesday.

Mr Assange is due to return to the court on 11 January.

'Common sense'

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

If he had been refused bail, it would have meant the court had become a political arena”

End Quote

Yvonne Ridley

Author

A large crowd of reporters and a number of Mr Assange's high-profile supporters were also outside the court.

Following the bail decision, novelist Tariq Ali said: "I'm very pleased that he is out. I think the extradition charges should now be dealt with in the same way.

"His barrister made the same point, that this is not rape under English law and there is absolutely no reason for extradition.

"We are delighted he is out and he should never have been locked up in the first place."

Author Yvonne Ridley said: "It is a victory for common sense. If he had been refused bail, it would have meant the court had become a political arena."

In his first appearance at court last week, Mr Assange was refused bail on the grounds he could flee.

He is accused of having unprotected sex with a woman, identified only as Miss A, when she insisted he use a condom.

Protesters gathered outside City of Westminster Magistrates' Court He is also accused of having unprotected sex with another woman, Miss W, while she was asleep.

Mr Assange claims the charges are politically motivated and are designed to discredit him.

In recent weeks, Wikileaks has published a series of US diplomatic cables revealing secret information on topics such as terrorism and international relations.

The latest release, published by the Guardian newspaper, shows that the US had concerns after the 7 July bombings that the UK was not doing enough to tackle home-grown extremists.

Another cable claims British police helped "develop" evidence against Madeleine McCann's parents after she went missing.

The Swedes are fighting the decision to bail him as they want him charged with rape. I've no idea if he's done such a thing but I can't help think that Great Uncle Sam is applying the pressure and the Swedes are caving.

If I was him I wouldn't be hiding in the UK- the David Kelly thing is too recent a memory for me. Considering he has embarrassed the States so much he could hide almost anywhere he liked in "the axis of evil" and be lauded like a God.

wasn't the rape case closed and has suddenly been re-opened? (so said have I got news for you last week)

Yes, the Swedes decided there was worthwhile case to answer. They are doing this to stall him whilst they try and think of something practical to get him for. As I understand it the charge is actually that he finished the job after a condom split on him.

Yes, the Swedes decided there was worthwhile case to answer. They are doing this to stall him whilst they try and think of something practical to get him for. As I understand it the charge is actually that he finished the job after a condom split on him.

Oh, rapists and their condoms. Will they never learn?

BBC says he is accused of having sex (without a condom) with a woman whilst she was asleep - I'm glad me and the Mrs. have never ventured to Sweden 'cause she has been known to nod off whilst I'm banging away.

Edited by Yard Dog

He'll die of 'natural causes' any time soon.

The ever-excellent Daily Mash think otherwise:

ASSANGE TO ESCAPE FROM POLICE AT THE TOP OF SOME STAIRS

07-12-10

POLICE today said they expected Wikileaks founder Julian Assange to attempt an escape, probably at the top of a long flight of stairs.

Always the best place to start escaping

Following Mr Assange's arrest, Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson confirmed there would be nothing they could do if he broke free but then accidentally tripped and hit every step on the way down.

Stephenson said Mr Assange would be held for questioning at a central London police station but due to a problem with the central heating they would have to keep moving him between floors.

He added: "Unfortunately the lifts are going to be broken the entire time he is custody."

He said: "I wish Mr Assange was not going to break his neck later this afternoon, but there is nothing my officers can do to stop him.

"They will shout something like 'hey you' or 'stop escaping' but he will be too quick for them.

"Also he will have forgotten to tie his shoelaces."

Sir Paul dismissed claims that the arrest was political but admitted international warrants were controversial and that it would have been more efficient to use the British system of pretending Mr Assange is a Brazilian electrician.

Meanwhile governments across the world were celebrating Mr Assange's arrest and imminent escape, stressing that history proves if you focus all your efforts on stopping one man then the thing you don't like will just go away.