Threads

Ha. They made us watch this at school (it was about 1988/89, so after the real Cold War fears had abated somewhat). :censored: me right up, it did, I can still remember vividly scenes from it today. Quality film.

The Americans tried to make something as shocking — The Day After — which is not as bad as is often made out (and as far as I can tell pre-dated Threads), but it's mostly memorable for Steve Gutenberg dying of radiation poisoning.

Ha. They made us watch this at school (it was about 1988/89, so after the real Cold War fears had abated somewhat). :censored: me right up, it did, I can still remember vividly scenes from it today. Quality film.

The Americans tried to make something as shocking — The Day After — which is not as bad as is often made out (and as far as I can tell pre-dated Threads), but it's mostly memorable for Steve Gutenberg dying of radiation poisoning.

Aye I think I saw that, supposed to be eduational but was downplayed a lot by the recent release of Goldeneye.

Anyone watch this and the further 12 parts before? I decided to before, knowing that it would :censored: me up but I just did it anyway. I'm only 20 so I hadn't seen it before

You read Empire Magazine by any chance? If not have a google, they did an article about this and The Day After a couple of months ago.

I remember Threads being on! I'm old.

It really is odd to think that growing up there was a constant fear of nuclear war, it dictated our foreign our foreign policy and had knock-on effects to the financial and social policies of successive governments. It really is wonderful to think that now the cold war is over that the state of pervading threat has diminished.....

Oh.

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/counter-terro...t-threat-level/

Now "they" have replaced the threat of nuclear war with:

1) Climate change

2) International terrorism

Keep the people in a state of fear and they're easier to control ...

I'm Watching You {squawk}

Those with opinions are the first to go. Move to the front of the line...

I do like post apocalyptic type films, however, it would be nice if someone could come up with a different spin as they're all pretty much the same film with different actors! Enjoyed The Book Of Eli though. Denzels rarely in a crap film....

I do like post apocalyptic type films, however, it would be nice if someone could come up with a different spin as they're all pretty much the same film with different actors! Enjoyed The Book Of Eli though. Denzels rarely in a crap film....

I agree with the Book of Eli. Never heard of it before I watched it - but thought it was very good. You certainly want to watch it again straight away.

The Road, on the other hand, was :censored: despite what people said beforehand.

• 3 weeks later...
Got hold of a DVD copy of Threads based on the comments on here and have just watched it. Possibly the most depressing harrowing "film" I have ever seen.

Crikey. I was gonna watch this but might not now.

I don't like anything too scary. I'm still mentally scarred from watching Stephen King's IT when I was 15.

And dropping acid and watching The Exorcist for the first time and then having to walk back on my own at 2am from St Mary's to Royton when I was 16 didn't help my psychological state much either.

Try watching Raymond Briggs' When The Wind Blows for some equally cheerful animated misery.

The last five minutes of that are absolutely heart-rending.

Watched this at school and still remember the sad ending :disappointed:

I don't like anything too scary. I'm still mentally scarred from watching Stephen King's IT when I was 15.

And dropping acid and watching The Exorcist for the first time and then having to walk back on my own at 2am from St Mary's to Royton when I was 16 didn't help my psychological state much either.

:grin: Its not scary as such, just very very depressing :disappointed:

Well although I made this post about Threads, I stopped watching it half way through because I simply couldn't watch any more ahah