Which of these Greater Manchester grounds could Latics share ?

Groundshare  

211 members have voted

1. 1. If we were to share a ground, who would you like to share with

• Rochdale/Spotland
    • Bury/Gigg Lane
    • Curzon Ashton (if redeveloped)
    • Stalybridge Celtic
    • Manchester Regional Athletics Arena
    • No Preference, any of the above
    • Completely against a ground share of any kind

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't be so sure that Tameside would welcome us with open arms. They own the ground but have a contractual agreement with Curzon that allows Curzon run the bars refreshment kiosks etc. and thus take the profits - I can't see Curzon being willing to tear that up. Anyway the ground isn't upto league standards and would need significant investment to make it so; in the current climate Tameside Council haven't the money for unexpected investment on improvements to the stadium. Also the current stands have very high roofs so generating an atmosphere under them is something of a challenge. Finally, the pitch is not particularly good.

A ground share with Rochdale isn't that simple, I have it on good authority that the Football Licensing Authority would not permit Oldham to use the standing facilities at Spotland but god knows why.

Stalybridge, nice homely ground but very poor parking facilities, and very remote from public transport.

None of these options look that attractive.

Don't be so sure that Tameside would welcome us with open arms. They own the ground but have a contractual agreement with Curzon that allows Curzon run the bars refreshment kiosks etc. and thus take the profits - I can't see Curzon being willing to tear that up. Anyway the ground isn't upto league standards and would need significant investment to make it so; in the current climate Tameside Council haven't the money for unexpected investment on improvements to the stadium. Also the current stands have very high roofs so generating an atmosphere under them is something of a challenge. Finally, the pitch is not particularly good.

A ground share with Rochdale isn't that simple, I have it on good authority that the Football Licensing Authority would not permit Oldham to use the standing facilities at Spotland but god knows why.

Stalybridge, nice homely ground but very poor parking facilities, and very remote from public transport.

Looking more and more like Manchester Regional Athletics centre then

Dont agree with that in the slightest, I live 10 minutes walk from the ground and have done for 27 years. Parking is ample at Bower Fold and IMO far better than at Curzon where I struggled to park watching my 13 year old nephew in a final last May. If you like to pay to park there is only a small car park next to the ground. If you want free parking there are literally hundreds of streets within a stones throw of the ground....................... far better than BP for parking!

Dont agree with that in the slightest, I live 10 minutes walk from the ground and have done for 27 years. Parking is ample at Bower Fold and IMO far better than at Curzon where I struggled to park watching my 13 year old nephew in a final last May. If you like to pay to park there is only a small car park next to the ground. If you want free parking there are literally hundreds of streets within a stones throw of the ground....................... far better than BP for parking!

I would agree with you about the comparison with parking at Curzon, but to say 'hundreds' of streets is a bit of an exaggeration, unless you are prepared to walk up a bloody steep hill; and many of the locals don't like you parking outside their houses.

I would agree with you about the comparison with parking at Curzon, but to say 'hundreds' of streets is a bit of an exaggeration, unless you are prepared to walk up a bloody steep hill; and many of the locals don't like you parking outside their houses.

There is no problem with residents, besides if you pay your road tax they cant tell you where to park (unless there is restrictions and there isn't)!

Problem is it only holds 4,000 at present, but there's plenty of scope to add to the capacity if needed.

But would Curzon Ashton be willing to invest to increase capacity just so that OAFC can play their. It would surely have to be a 50/50 share, otherwise we would be taking them over, and I don't think they would like that.

Council owned, thus 'The Tameside Stadium'…

I think the three realistic options are:-

Bower Fold

Regional Athletics Centre

Tameside Stadium

Curzon is not owned by the council it is the football clubs stadium and was built from funds from the sale of their old ground that now has housing on it. The name of the stadium is a partnership thing with the council and shows the strong ties between the 2 parties especially with planning etc....

Curzon is actually a really good option. It's on Ashton Moss, close to Oldham, has an Oldham postcode (for those obssessed) and is close to the motorway/Oldham Road. I say but it and develop iI - NOW. Oldham and Tameside Athletic. Broaden potential business links/corporate packages. Work with a council that might actually appreciate a professional club.

Yes. Come on Simon, do it.

The Secretary of State for Communities, Eric Pickles, recently talked about councils merging services or even merging all together. If Oldham and Tameside councils merged we would still be in the borough . . .

:grin:

We should never leave the borough permanently. The only place we could go in the meantime is Rochdale as Curzon Ashton would not be big enough for League football.

Curzon's ground (Tameside stadium) is expandable Macca, I assume Failsworth is ok with you as it's in the borough even if it's possibly just as far away for many fans as Ashton ?

I agree though a ground in Oldham would be the preferred choice, but it may not be a choice at all.