CARLISLE- THE REAL TEST OF SUPPORT

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never mind

THat was quick edit

Basically you were sayingh ypu wanted a return on your investmetn of signing players that you thought were long term prospects

THe trobuel is you are asking the impossible.

It might work, it might not

There are no guarantees

Mar

I was just quoting your original post to reply but you've deleted it. It's fair to say the scheme isn't for you.

No it isn't. My opinion on how to spend £000s of supporter money is not to subsidise players but invest in the future of the club. I appear to be in a minority. But each to their own.

THat was quick edit

Basically you were sayingh ypu wanted a return on your investmetn of signing players that you thought were long term prospects

THe trobuel is you are asking the impossible.

It might work, it might not

There are no guarantees

Mar

Now someone has paraphrased it....

All I was saying is that using money purely to donate to the club (as though it were a charity), for me, is a little short sighted. Using the money to subsidise the club and in return the club having a scheme encouragaing new / lapsed fans is not a bad thing. The outcome is still the same. The team gets a new player. The advantage is that if one of those fans comes back and buys a ticket the club is better off.

It's not asking the impossible. Nor the implausible. It's just asking for something back for the donation. Something that may improve the fan base and (dare I say it) increase the potential market for PlayerShare.

At the moment, PlayerShare is essentially price discrimination. It is a way of those who are willing to pay more for a match ticket to pay more and those who only wish to pay their £20 / season ticket price to only pay it. If the club came out with a sliding scale of prices dependent on how hardcore a fan you are (with the most hardcore paying the highest prices) people would be very p1ssed off and rightly so. The only difference with PlayerShare is that it is voluntary.

Edited by latic12345

No it isn't. My opinion on how to spend £000s of supporter money is not to subsidise players but invest in the future of the club. I appear to be in a minority. But each to their own.

But would people willingly hand over a tenner a month for such "investment"?

And isn't that extra player to push us over the line in to the Championship just about the best investment any of us could make?

While I do think there is a case for the Trust hoarding cash somewhere - even if it is only to pay legal bills needed to save the club in the high court at some future date - I don't think asking people to donate a tenner a month for this would attract anywhere near the same response.

As for other investment? The PA system in the RRE is shocking. I'd guess it would cost £30k to fix. A new toilet block is needed at the car park exit to the Chaddy End - £50k perhaps? The Trust funded a tractor (or similar) a couple of years back. While this sort of thing is no doubt appreciated, the reality is that fan contributions away from matchday will never be able to make a significant "investment" in the football club.

Bringing your mates, buying a programme and sticking a quid in the kitty for the half time draw will make more difference.

But would people willingly hand over a tenner a month for such "investment"?

And isn't that extra player to push us over the line in to the Championship just about the best investment any of us could make?

While I do think there is a case for the Trust hoarding cash somewhere - even if it is only to pay legal bills needed to save the club in the high court at some future date - I don't think asking people to donate a tenner a month for this would attract anywhere near the same response.

As for other investment? The PA system in the RRE is shocking. I'd guess it would cost £30k to fix. A new toilet block is needed at the car park exit to the Chaddy End - £50k perhaps? The Trust funded a tractor (or similar) a couple of years back. While this sort of thing is no doubt appreciated, the reality is that fan contributions away from matchday will never be able to make a significant "investment" in the football club.

Bringing your mates, buying a programme and sticking a quid in the kitty for the half time draw will make more difference.

Completely agree but buying the PA system, purchasing toilets isnt investment in the future. Investing in getting fans back is which is why your final point is so pertinent.

I don't understand why you would have to sell it any differently. It could be PlayerShare. It can be sold as PlayerShare. Donate £10 per week and you get a player (in this case Evina). This is precisely my point. The outcome from the punter is the same. Therefore, you can sell it the same. Just the means of getting that outcome is different. The relationship between the organisation "PlayerShare" and the club will be different. Not the relationship between the fans and PlayerShare.

Providing the amount of money being used to get the player was not eroded then I don't see why you would sell it any differently...

Now someone has paraphrased it....

All I was saying is that using money purely to donate to the club (as though it were a charity), for me, is a little short sighted. Using the money to subsidise the club and in return the club having a scheme encouragaing new / lapsed fans is not a bad thing. The outcome is still the same. The team gets a new player. The advantage is that if one of those fans comes back and buys a ticket the club is better off.

It's not asking the impossible. Nor the implausible. It's just asking for something back for the donation. Something that may improve the fan base and (dare I say it) increase the potential market for PlayerShare.

At the moment, PlayerShare is essentially price discrimination. It is a way of those who are willing to pay more for a match ticket to pay more and those who only wish to pay their £20 / season ticket price to only pay it. If the club came out with a sliding scale of prices dependent on how hardcore a fan you are (with the most hardcore paying the highest prices) people would be very p1ssed off and rightly so. The only difference with PlayerShare is that it is voluntary.

I did paraphase, but it was a point worthy of briing into the debate, and am glad you have put i back up again.

I don't agree with you, but it's a good thing that you have said it again, and no doubt others will agree with you.

Things like o4u purchasing through the link are a gret example. lots of little things that overcome fears like you ahve about committing a tenner a month and it does not cost you in time or money are what we need I think too.

also forgot to mention that it taste like piss once you get it.

How do so many people know what piss tastes like?

I can honestly say I've never had the misfortune of 'accidentally' urinating into my own mouth, nor indeed accepting the offer of sampling someone elses.

Am I missing out?

How do so many people know what piss tastes like?

I can honestly say I've never had the misfortune of 'accidentally' urinating into my own mouth, nor indeed accepting the offer of sampling someone elses.

Am I missing out?

Never been out with a lady who likes a loving kiss after you've given her a golden shower?