Ollerenshaw's Facebook Rant

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He isn't a very good advert for Hulme Grammar School for Boys. I thought you had to be clever to go there. Public schoolboy dislike him even more now.

Also notice they have missed out the racial slur he used as well <_<

to widen it further, I happen to have been fortunate enough to go to the same school - with respect, what has this got to do with him (wrongly) publically displaying his dissent at not being paid on time?

its not the pupils who go there/have been there's fault that their parents could afford/decided to send them there, they're 'told' to go there in effect as more often than not their parents decide, should they be so able as to have a choice to make regards their education.

Not an attack on you - you can obviously say what you like - but i get slightly wound up by this perception that people who have been to grammar school are 'posh' or 'clever' - trust me, the actual kids who do attend are you're average lad in the street, just that they have been given an opportunity by their parents - a lot of them don't take it.

I also think this 'public' and 'private' description of schools is incorrect - surely as a grammar school is a fee-paying school and is therefore not widely available as a public good in the sense that not everyone can afford to pay for their children to attend, it is a private school and that state schools are publically available to all people and so should be classed as public??

Anyway, in my own experience he is the sort of lad who acts the big-time charlie and is (again in my eperience) not a pleasant individual - if i were him i would've shut up and got on with trying to make it as a pro, which the chances of him doing so appear to be 0 seeing as he has never made it near the subs bench (and you must be pretty crap if you're a 6ft 4in keeper and yet still can't get ahead of Brill)

enjoy getting the bus to stalybridge more often as that's where you'll be playing (and no not for latics, were we to go there as part of any ground share! <_< )

to widen it further, I happen to have been fortunate enough to go to the same school - with respect, what has this got to do with him (wrongly) publically displaying his dissent at not being paid on time?

its not the pupils who go there/have been there's fault that their parents could afford/decided to send them there, they're 'told' to go there in effect as more often than not their parents decide, should they be so able as to have a choice to make regards their education.

Not an attack on you - you can obviously say what you like - but i get slightly wound up by this perception that people who have been to grammar school are 'posh' or 'clever' - trust me, the actual kids who do attend are you're average lad in the street, just that they have been given an opportunity by their parents - a lot of them don't take it.

I also think this 'public' and 'private' description of schools is incorrect - surely as a grammar school is a fee-paying school and is therefore not widely available as a public good in the sense that not everyone can afford to pay for their children to attend, it is a private school and that state schools are publically available to all people and so should be classed as public??

Anyway, in my own experience he is the sort of lad who acts the big-time charlie and is (again in my eperience) not a pleasant individual - if i were him i would've shut up and got on with trying to make it as a pro, which the chances of him doing so appear to be 0 seeing as he has never made it near the subs bench (and you must be pretty crap if you're a 6ft 4in keeper and yet still can't get ahead of Brill)

enjoy getting the bus to stalybridge more often as that's where you'll be playing (and no not for latics, were we to go there as part of any ground share! <_< )

Hmm talking down to me now <_< (Just kidding)

About the private/public thing, I was talking to my dad about that (couple of months back). I was saying what you was saying why don't they call them private schoolboys. Its just what people seem to say. Not sure why, You should know though you went to private school :lol:

Edited by oldhamains

Hmm talking down to me now <_< (Just kidding)

About the private/public thing, I was talking to my dad about that (couple of months back). I was saying what you was saying why don't they call them private schoolboys. Its just what people seem to say. Not sure why, You should know though you went to private school :lol:

There is actually an answer to that one (Leeslover's Obscure Fact for the Day has been quiet for a while). Public schools are a select group of private ones whose headmaster gets invited to some posh conference or other - I guess they were originally called public as opposed to being taught at home by your own teacher. The first bit is FACT, the second speculation.

There is actually an answer to that one (Leeslover's Obscure Fact for the Day has been quiet for a while). Public schools are a select group of private ones whose headmaster gets invited to some posh conference or other - I guess they were originally called public as opposed to being taught at home by your own teacher. The first bit is FACT, the second speculation.

:blink: that explains that then cheers LL

Hulme grammar boy...surely he can ask mummy and daddy for a 'borrow'?

Or ask a fellow player for a lift? All get stuck in together?

Inverse snobbery is just as unappealing as the more traditional sort - why go through life with a chip on your shoulder? And yes, I did go to Hulme but in 11+ days.

I send my son to Hulme.

It was a difficult choice to make, but having two older ones who've gone through the state system - In Oldham - and been part of a system that appears hell bent on making sure everybody is average, we made the call to spend 40% of my take home pay on it.

We're not wealthy but we do ok. I barely earn above the national average and my other half is in a low paid service job. But we took the call to do the best for our son.

Time will tell if it's the right decision. A year and a half in I'd argue that it's the best money I've ever spent. The teaching is a higher standard than the other offspring got and although he is a bright kid Hulme stretches his thinking. This certainly didn't happen at Our Lady's.

As for the other kids at the school? Some of them come from a loaded background (Scholes jr for example), some of them from parents who are making real sacrifices to send their children to a fee paying school and a handful are subsidised by the bursary scheme (or whatever it's called). Some have a chip on their shoulders, some are great kids and some are wasting the opportunity they have because they probably won't realise what they have until they are twice or three times the age.

If the state could provide the same approach to teaching that Hulme does I wouldn't have even given consideration to private education. And I'm not talking about class sizes, I'm talking about getting the children to broaden their thinking.

I don't doubt some will view private education as wrong. Others as elitest and some as just "posh". Some will agree that it's the parents' choice to do what they think is best. When I leave this mortal world and meet my Mother again I'll take a hell of a lot of stick from her. But I do know we've tried to do our best for our son. I regret not having been in a position to do the same for the older two.

Fingers crossed I will end up with a well educated and confident son. If the confidence ever turns in to arrognace or snobery he'll find life gets rather awkward at home and quickly realise it ain't the way.

Edited by opinions4u

Some dopey tit who earns a professional footballer's wage can't manage his money well enough to have a buffer zone of cash in his bank to cover his direct debits.

No sympathy for the lad. They obviously didn't teach him about personal finance at the sausage party that is my old school.

I send my son to Hulme.

It was a difficult choice to make, but having two older ones who've gone through the state system - In Oldham - and been part of a system that appears hell bent on making sure everybody is average, we made the call to spend 40% of my take home pay on it.

We're not wealthy but we do ok. I barely earn above the national average and my other half is in a low paid service job. But we took the call to do the best for our son.

Time will tell if it's the right decision. A year and a half in I'd argue that it's the best money I've ever spent. The teaching is a higher standard than the other offspring got and although he is a bright kid Hulme stretches his thinking. This certainly didn't happen at Our Lady's.

As for the other kids at the school? Some of them come from a loaded background (Scholes jr for example), some of them from parents who are making real sacrifices to send their children to a fee paying school and a handful are subsidised by the bursary scheme (or whatever it's called). Some have a chip on their shoulders, some are great kids and some are wasting the opportunity they have because they probably won't realise what they have until they are twice or three times the age.

If the state could provide the same approach to teaching that Hulme does I wouldn't have even given consideration to private education. And I'm not talking about class sizes, I'm talking about getting the children to broaden their thinking.

I don't doubt some will view private education as wrong. Others as elitest and some as just "posh". Some will agree that it's the parents' choice to do what they think is best. When I leave this mortal world and meet my Mother again I'll take a hell of a lot of stick from her. But I do know we've tried to do our best for our son. I regret not having been in a position to do the same for the older two.

Fingers crossed I will end up with a well educated and confident son. If the confidence ever turns in to arrognace or snobery he'll find life gets rather awkward at home and quickly realise it ain't the way.

I don't have kids but I think you're doing the right thing. I find it frustrating that LEAs provide state schools with roughly £3k per pupil per year yet don't help out with parents wanting to send their kids to private school, particularly those on less than high incomes. The fact that your son is not in a state school is saving Oldham Council lots of money - close to £40k if its primary and secondary.

I don't have kids but I think you're doing the right thing.

Thanks. I hope I am. It gets tough when Mrs o4u wants a holiday, new patio, new car etc and the money isn't there for it!

I find it frustrating that LEAs provide state schools with roughly £3k per pupil per year

I believe the state spends around £6,000 a year per pupil. Half of it seems not to reach the school that does the educating.

The fact that your son is not in a state school is saving Oldham Council lots of money - close to £40k if its primary and secondary.

Primary education in Oldham, from my three experiences, is pretty good. So fortunately the expense wasn't incurred for earlier years!