Stoneleigh Park, Derker for new ground?

There's still some "quality" drinking establishments on 'Uddersfield Rd!!!

On that note, who remembers the Footballers.......where you used to get beat up if you didn't have the right money?

i remember going in there a few times before it closed

slightly before my time though when the hill was rough, im sure you will remember the conquered bear, vaguely remember that aswell

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to play football at Stoneleigh Park and IIRC there was one hell of a slope on the pitch. A sloping pitch is part of Latics history, so it's a pity the proposed site is not this one.

My boy plays there for St Annes ARLFC Under 12s on Sunday mornings... :(

It takes me 5 Minuetes to walk to Latics down Sheep foot lane. Won't take much longer from Rippy Road to get to Stoneleigh Park, My sister used to live in a flat round there.

it takes 10 minutes from the park to the bus stop outside the recently closedown (again) Wellington pub (and im a fast walker)

but its all irrelevant anyway

i remember going in there a few times before it closed

slightly before my time though when the hill was rough, im sure you will remember the conquered bear, vaguely remember that aswell

Bit of a wild west saloon atmosphere at one time. Better to drink looking at your toes in case someone didn't like the look of you.

... who remembers the Footballers......?

Remember it well, but alas it's demolished now. I also remember the Carrion Crow and Farmer's Boy pubs past Hill Stores. One of those was where I did the Twist on a table top before going dancing at Hill Stores. Chubby Checker my arse! B)

The new 'OAFC DERKER SPORTSPARK 2014' 7 establishment pubcrawl!

Last Orders, across the road to the Weavers, across the 'ickkle' road to the Minders, up Hudders Rd to the Farmers, across to the Carrion Crow (recently refurbished where teletext football fans can buy a 'season ticket' for any games live on the box and sit in the comfiest seat with a meal included!!) across Rippy Rd to the Junction, a gentle 2min trot up to the Wellington and a 5 minute walk down to the ground!!

Now admittedly, this may not be rural Cheshire country pubs that you will be entering, but by eck, you'd have a bloody good drink and meet a few characters on the way!

Last Orders, across the road to the Weavers, across the 'ickkle' road to the Minders, up Hudders Rd to the Farmers, across to the Carrion Crow (recently refurbished where teletext football fans can buy a 'season ticket' for any games live on the box and sit in the comfiest seat with a meal included!!) across Rippy Rd to the Junction, a gentle 2min trot up to the Wellington and a 5 minute walk down to the ground!!

Now admittedly, this may not be rural Cheshire country pubs that you will be entering, but by eck, you'd have a bloody good drink and meet a few characters on the way!

sounds good, ill be doing a practice run tomorrow, if anyone fancies it

the Welly has shut down again though

.... the Carrion Crow (recently refurbished where teletext football fans can buy a 'season ticket' for any games live on the box and sit in the comfiest seat with a meal included!!)...

...and their drinks carried to the table! If this is the future, how can Latics compete?

I bet anyone doing the twist on the table is shown the door, because they're disturbing the 'season ticket' holders in the 'Directors' Box'. :who:

...and their drinks carried to the table! If this is the future, how can Latics compete?

I bet anyone doing the twist on the table is shown the door, because they're disturbing the 'season ticket' holders in the 'Directors' Box'. :who:

They may have referred to it as a 'Directors box', but unless Big Gord is welcoming you and bringing a player up after the game - Latics have nowt to worry about :wink:

Nor forgetting The Wheatsheaf and Lowerhouse Inn - both on Derker St.

DOH!! I'll have to trademark it to the 6 establishment pub crawl now! (Unless you want to walk up to the Black Horse!) Stick it in place of the Welly.

ive been barred from the Black Horse for the past 8 years or so, if you go to the bar for me ill sit in the corner :exile:

I went to Derker once, drinking with a Derkonoian (?) who was nominally in charge of us porters when I was a Saturday boy at Littlewoods. His "hobby" was sitting in a deckchair on the store roof - highest building the town centre bar council offices? - making up his own language.

Happy days.

Wonder what happened to him...

On that note, who remembers the Footballers.......where you used to get beat up if you didn't have the right money?

No there isnt

Weavers Dead these days

Last Orders....deadleg city

Junction...do me a favour

New Crown see Junction

Farmers Boy FFS

Minders FFS

Carrion Crow Nope

Coach.....good but too far in wrong direction...