Remember Chasetown?

Last night, while Arsenal weren't having a shot on target, Wenger was getting himself into trouble with UEFA, over criticism of the ref booking Van Persie for time-wasting after the whistle had gone. It gave the media something to fill pages and hours of broadcasting today. Also last night, coincidentally, two players were being booked for the same offence at BP, but neither was daft enough to get a second yellow.

Meanwhile another game was going on at Mansfield in an F.A. Trophy quarter-final replay. The visiting club was litle Chasetown, which still has Charlie Blakemore as its manager. There was a feature about the game on BBC Midlands today - a glimpse at football way down the pyramid. Am I alone in finding that more appealing than the Greedy League and Champions, Runners-up, Third and Fourth Place League.

From 20:10

Last night, while Arsenal weren't having a shot on target, Wenger was getting himself into trouble with UEFA, over criticism of the ref booking Van Persie for time-wasting after the whistle had gone. It gave the media something to fill pages and hours of broadcasting today. Also last night, coincidentally, two players were being booked for the same offence at BP, but neither was daft enough to get a second yellow.

Meanwhile another game was going on at Mansfield in an F.A. Trophy quarter-final replay. The visiting club was litle Chasetown, which still has Charlie Blakemore as its manager. There was a feature about the game on BBC Midlands today - a glimpse at football way down the pyramid. Am I alone in finding that more appealing than the Greedy League and Champions, Runners-up, Third and Fourth Place League.

it may be greedy and arrogant but the way in which Barcelona and Arsenal play is almost an art form, there are things that players like Messi and Iniesta can do which cannot be trained into someone because it comes naturally and that is the reason why Football is the most popular sport in the world because to be the best, the skill factor is so high

it may be greedy and arrogant but the way in which Barcelona and Arsenal play is almost an art form, there are things that players like Messi and Iniesta can do which cannot be trained into someone because it comes naturally and that is the reason why Football is the most popular sport in the world because to be the best, the skill factor is so high

That's a pretty narrow view of sport. The best forward in Hockey can do stuff that is easily comparable to Messi. Equally the best Quarter Back in the NFL can hit a target as well as a Ronaldo freekick from further away and with his hand! Whilst being charged down by a bunch of fat :censored:s.

Football's great and my first love, but to consider it's best players comparably better than those in other sports is inaccurate.

It takes more skill to throw an F1 car round a track than it ever will to chip Almunia inside his six yard box - no matter how astonishing that goal was.

That's a pretty narrow view of sport. The best forward in Hockey can do stuff that is easily comparable to Messi. Equally the best Quarter Back in the NFL can hit a target as well as a Ronaldo freekick from further away and with his hand! Whilst being charged down by a bunch of fat :censored:s.

Football's great and my first love, but to consider it's best players comparably better than those in other sports is inaccurate.

It takes more skill to throw an F1 car round a track than it ever will to chip Almunia inside his six yard box - no matter how astonishing that goal was.

Yup. The skills are different, not better or worse. Chris Ashton, all 14+ stone of him running 100m in not far off 10 seconds is an impressive athlete with great skills to break the line. It just makes him different.

Yup. The skills are different, not better or worse. Chris Ashton, all 14+ stone of him running 100m in not far off 10 seconds is an impressive athlete with great skills to break the line. It just makes him different.

It won't be long before Zorrro is along claiming Dance as a legimate sport.

Personally I can enjoy watching football at any level.

While Barcelona and Arsenal do play football which is very easy on the eye and makes you wonder why in England we don't produce more players who could fit that style of football. However football doesn't have to be the "beautiful game" to be entertaining See Latics vs Plymouth earlier in the season which was absolute chaos yet fantastically enthralling. Manchester United and Liverpool is always hyped up yet it rarely produces a classic. Ive often been more entertained by ulster league games on sky than I have top premier league games.

For me, the most impressive top sportsman are golfers and snooker players. This is probably because they're fine skills with next to no athleticism involved.

In comparison, footballers are distinctly unimpressive. When you consider the bigger picture, and are able to ignore hype from those who don't know their arse from their elbow, or simply have a product to sell, there's little to choose between hundreds of top players.

Whilst I too have a chip on my shoulder about top-level football, the Van Persie decision was nothing short of despicable. One of the worst refereeing blunders I have ever seen. And the 'time wasting' was his second yellow.

Actually I would say that football is the most popular sport for many other reasons, including the fact that there was a British Empire, its cheap to play and can be played practically anywhere. Ice Hockey and F1 Driving aren't likely to be taken up in Africa any time soon by the masses.

Hit a target is one thing, but score? I doubt it. I personally would consider it technically easier to use your hand rather than a foot to hit a target, if you had been trained to do so. As for the F1 car, it would be easier to get it round one corner than chip alumnia.

Am I the only one who thinks both yellows were correct decisions? it may be my eyesight but it looks like Van Persie is looking at the lino putting the flag up when he receives the ball and his pi$$poor shot (I would have booked him for that alone :grin: ) was halfhearted as if he knew he was offside.

Although I still believe it wouldnt have been a yellow if he was wearing a Barca shirt :unsure:

Am I the only one who thinks both yellows were correct decisions? it may be my eyesight but it looks like Van Persie is looking at the lino putting the flag up when he receives the ball and his pi$$poor shot (I would have booked him for that alone :grin: ) was halfhearted as if he knew he was offside.

Although I still believe it wouldnt have been a yellow if he was wearing a Barca shirt :unsure:

You're mad.

The whistle has hardly finished sounding when he makes contact. And he's already begun setting himself to shoot when it first starts blowing. And the first replay shows him wincing in disappointment at the tame shot, which suggests he hadn't heard the whistle after all.

YouTube

The rule is there to stop time-wasting and petulance. It that was either then I'm a Dutchman too. Shocker.

Edited by Stitch_KTF

• 2 years later...

It'll be a bit of a sentimental journey next Wednesday 2nd November, when Latics Reserves play Walsall at Chasetown (kick-off 2:00pm).

Never mde it to the cup game had a ticket but was unwell & had a job interview the next day so gave it a miss there in the Unibond outh league i believe now. Remember the replay at Boundary Park was only my second game working turnstiles and i had there fans never seen so many different West Midlands shirts at once alot of them believed they would cause an upset and win.

During the cup game, there was a close up of my ugly mush after chasetown went close.

Mark Bright "A big puff of the cheeks there from an oldham fan"

Cue the inevitable barrage of texts:

"Mark Bright has just called you a puff on the TV"