Dickov please start

Paul, please start a game. At the moment we dont look like we could hit a cows wotsit with a thingy. If we have a proven goal scorer on the pitch we have half a chance. I dont want to have a go at the lads who have been upfront as i think they have done their best, but i do feel we need goals and quick. With you on the pitch i know we can get that bit of luck we need. Wins will come but it needs to come from experience so paul its simple, start against the bindippers and we will get three points. Thays it from my slightly drunken rant.

Paul, please start a game. At the moment we dont look like we could hit a cows wotsit with a thingy. If we have a proven goal scorer on the pitch we have half a chance. I dont want to have a go at the lads who have been upfront as i think they have done their best, but i do feel we need goals and quick. With you on the pitch i know we can get that bit of luck we need. Wins will come but it needs to come from experience so paul its simple, start against the bindippers and we will get three points. Thays it from my slightly drunken rant.

It's about all he has left to try, other than getting Taggart in Defence.

Trouble is it will take him till september to get match fit.

team for trampmere

brill

lee

m'voto

trotman

black

morais

furman

stephens (if rumours true then jones)

alessandra

tounkara

dickov

subs (assuming taylor not fit):

gerrard, tarkowski, abalimba, white, evina, reid, brooke

Hazell is a joke of a captain and CB and needs dropping, we need brute force in there with jean and time for neal to come back stronger and for hazell to be shown he isnt irreplacable and is releaseable come May (hope we do) - but seeing as dickov seems to see reuben as undroppable despite his many gaffes ala brill, he still plays him so i wont hold my breath.

tounk to hold up and lewis and morais to play off him and PD, get the team to mananage to score a couple and then come off after 60mins as i am sure he will be goosed.

This IS a must win game to allay any concrete fears of a dog-fight - don't win this one and i will be seriously worried.

P.S. - Taylpr/Stephens re: mumps - did these guys not have the MMR jab as youngsters?????

1 solution to our problem might be smalley - wouldn't be suprised to see him recalled...

Edited by shefflatic

Wasn't hugely impressed when his sub appearance v Bristol Rovers - there's a good article in Four Four Two about how you can't combine the player-manager role anymore, where he's quoted as saying "I misplaced a couple of passes. I saw a couple of the lads just about to give me a bollocking before they remembered I was the boss and they bit their tongue. That's when I knew I had to hang up my boots." I remember thinking at the time that it seemed to unsettle us a bit because you could see the players thinking "must pass to the gaffer must pass to the gaffer must pass to the gaffer". BUT.....what have we got to lose? It doesn't seem to be happening for any of the strikers/wingers/centre halves who've had a go up front in recent games,it'd give the crowd a lift if nothing else. And if he got sent off for taking out one of Tranmere's players, that might not be the worst thing.

even if he was do you really think it would suddenly make us play well ? Leaving Taggart in charge on the sideline is suicidal

No but one thing it would do is immediately solve our lack of experience on the field. Rueben's the elder statesman but is no leader, well he leads with examples of how to cock-up...

One of the problems Latics have not scoring is because we don't have an out and out striker (ie Luke Becket type)

we rely on all round scorers. Problem is you have to get men in the box to create the chances and we have stopped doing that now.

We were earlier when we would get the likes of Taylor , Furman and Stephens making runs into the box and the likes of Tounkare etc already in there.

Now we attack and we are lucky if we get one in the box when the ball comes in.

Stephens and Furman appear to be playing a little deeper and we dont have the same threat going forward.

All our goal threats in the last 10 games have been long range shots.

Maybe the management can't see what's different as its only slight but it's there , we don't attack with the same numbers and there appears to be a little apprehension on certain players to get too far forward.

Perhaps the fear factor has kicked in but we need to get back to what we were good at early season .

The next 6 games are all against teams around us and if we continue to lose then we will have big problems.

Given that all these players were capable before Christmas and aren't anymore, the problem lies somewhere else.

I think the stadium issues / Corney's rant / late wages created the current problems.

Dickov needs to sort it out though. Playing himself probably isn't the solution. From memory Dickov was a 1 in 10 striker towards the end of his career.

(By the way, not that long ago Tonk was a 1 in 3 striker. That's pretty decent stuff for a kid. So while he has is obvious shortcoming I wouldn't write him off).

Who would I play up front on Saturday? Alessandra and Reid. But I'm clutching a straws.

Edited by opinions4u

I don't think PD pulling his boots on is the answer to our problems, far from it in fact as I would much prefer him to be managing.

However, what has he got to lose at the moment? 2 goals in 10 games may become 2 in 11?

As far as fitness is concerned, he's light-years away from being 'match-fit', however, it's obvious that he's been ramping up his work-levels recently so I don't see a 60-minute run-out as being an impossibility.

Edited by JohnnyPimp