Simon Corney on GMR

It's no use D_S, even when quotes directly from the horses mouth are aired live on radio and printed in a newspaper a lot of people on this forum still choose not to beleive it.

It's would seem is far easier to scaremonger and start conspiricy theories rather than focus on what's been said :petesake:

Adolf Hitler, Time magazine man of the year...

http://www.scrapbookpages.com/DachauMemorial/TimeCover.html

Chamberlain described him as "alright really".

I apologise for using a very contraversial example but surely you don't believe everything you believe or hear.

0000s is strongly religious, creationists will tell you God created the earth. Others will tell you religion is Santa Claus for grown ups.

Just because someone says its true doesnt make it true.

Edited by latic12345

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think having no money is somewhat more damaging to the club than anything said by a few internet personas on a message board.

Too many people are too easily led by baseless rumours and conspiracies, but it seems some are equally easily led by the content and structure of official statements.

I'm sure Simon can technically back up his statement that we have no debt, and in that context the imminent threat of administration would appear to be false. But he was quite clear about the rest of the story too - there is currently neither a plan nor a budget for next season.

When official statements contradict baseless rumours and conspiracies, what is the point in chosing to disregard the official statements?

I accept that the official statements are made in good faith, based on the facts at the time. Others may believe them to be lies. The original five-year plan of TTA was based on an assumption of over 8,000 fans regularly attending BP regularly. I wished TTA well with that assumption and I was assured they had ideas to bring it about.

Situations change, proving the objectives of the statements to be unattainable. Hindsight does not prove that they were lies.

totally agree with this. and i think it's a bit rich to moan about scaremongering when the simple fact is that for two months in a row there wasn't enough money in the club to pay the staff.

I like the "bit rich"! :lol:

That there wasn't enough money in the Club to pay the staff is a fact, not an example of scaremongering. Scaremongering is coming on Radio Manc and broadcasting that the Club has been sold and TTA have disappeared into the sunset.

The Club told the players and staff to rest assured that they would not suffer financially as a result of missing standing orders/direct debits. That didn't get covered by the media. Eight other clubs were in the same boat, possibly without the paddle which TTA still have, but it's only Latics who are given media attention. All this pours more superglue onto the seats of those who prefer to watch the Club's demise from afar.

Obviously I move in different circles to many on here, but time and time again, people speaking to me come out with 'statements' about Latics which are pure rumour/speculation/scaremongering. When I counter them with what's been said in 'official statements', or analyse the nonsense in what they're saying, they choose to disbelieve the official statements.

I cannot understand the motive in doing that.

I'm sorry, frowning on discussion and putting on a pretence that everything's hunky dory so as not to scare anyone off is just a tad too Stalinist for me, Comrade.

And there was me thinking Stalin liked to use force to get accross his views, turns out it wasn't as bad as I thought after all.

For me actions speak louder than words, and between Corney and everybody else who is/was involved in Project Latics, we've ended up with :censored: all. I never doubted what he has said in the past, it just whatever he did say didn't materialise the way he says it would. Which, when all said an done, pretty much means that I take everything that he says now with a pinch a salt.

For me actions speak louder than words, and between Corney and everybody else who is/was involved in Project Latics, we've ended up with :censored: all. I never doubted what he has said in the past, it just whatever he did say didn't materialise the way he says it would. Which, when all said an done, pretty much means that I take everything that he says now with a pinch a salt.

I agree that actions speak louder than words. TTA declared their intentions and have admitted they made mistakes. The supporters didn't have to declare their intentions, but their failure to act by attending BP, whether the team has been playing well or not, although their prerogative, has contributed to Project Latics going tits up.

I agree that actions speak louder than words. TTA declared their intentions and have admitted they made mistakes. The supporters didn't have to declare their intentions, but their failure to act by attending BP, whether the team has been playing well or not, although their prerogative, has contributed to Project Latics going tits up.

I'm sorry Terry, I will never, ever lay the blame at the feet of the public. If there's something interesting going on at Latics - they'll turn up. If the situation is like it is now, they won't. Just the same at every other club, bar cut-price season ticket clubs who are living a lie, and Rochdale who will always drag in 2000 even when they eventually play Steaua Bucharest in the Champions League.

Im a bit confused, can someone enlighten me please. Is he saying that he can pay all debts that are due now? Are there are any debts that are due now that he cannot pay?

Because here is a definition of insolvency

insolvency n. 1) the condition of having more debts (liabilities) than total assets which might be available to pay them, even if the assets were mortgaged or sold. 2) a determination by a bankruptcy court that a person or business cannot raise the funds to pay all of his/her debts. The court will then "discharge" (forgive) some or all of the debts, leaving those creditors holding the bag and not getting what is owed them. The supposedly insolvent individual debtor, even though found to be bankrupt, is allowed certain exemptions, which permit him/her to retain a car, business equipment, personal property, and often a home as long as he/she continues to make payments on a loan secured by the property.

I judge by actions AND words, but more the context.

It is important Simon Corney puts a positive emphasis on things, he's hardly going to get queues at the turnstiles by going all Corp and saying we are doomed, look what has happenend when he's done that.

But he could have walked away many times for justifiable reasons.

Change happenz, it's how you deal with it is the making of you.

Not a happy clapper by any stretch, questions should be asked, answers sought to ALL involved (yes you members of the Trust as well) but nor should ajudgements be made on the basis of statements 8 years ago, when the world was a different place.

Edited by singe

I guess if you sold all the players and whatever other assets Oldham Athletic Football Club hold you could potentially repay the loan from the owners that keeps Latics afloat.

It would be a mighty close call though!

Do we actually own Chapel road training ground ?

Do we actually own Chapel road training ground ?

I read something about a 99 year lease - which would have a value if somebody wanted to stop us using it.

But doubt we own the complex.

I suspect the biggest assets at the moment are goodwill and the Micah Richards sell on clause.

Edited by opinions4u

How many 'u' turns is it now? I've sang the praises and danced the dance. The next time I get on my feet to dance to the beat will be in a new stadium and not one akin to Curzon Ashton. Simple, my head is no longer in the believe all sand.

I'm sorry Terry, I will never, ever lay the blame at the feet of the public. If there's something interesting going on at Latics - they'll turn up. If the situation is like it is now, they won't. Just the same at every other club, bar cut-price season ticket clubs who are living a lie, and Rochdale who will always drag in 2000 even when they eventually play Steaua Bucharest in the Champions League.

There was something interesting going on in the 2002/2003 season, but the average league attendance was less than 7,000.

TTA saved the Club and asked for attendances of over 8,000. I thought they were over-optimistic and, as I said earlier, I wished them well.

Not a happy clapper by any stretch, questions should be asked, answers sought to ALL involved (yes you members of the Trust as well) but nor should ajudgements be made on the basis of statements 8 years ago, when the world was a different place.

You may recall that SC and AH have repeatedly offered to answer questions.

simon.corney@oldhamathletic.co.uk

alan.hardy@oldhamathletic.co.uk

You may recall that SC and AH have repeatedly offered to answer questions.

simon.corney@oldhamathletic.co.uk

alan.hardy@oldhamathletic.co.uk

Yes, they always have and many a 'U' turn performed since. Your point is Terry?

There was something interesting going on in the 2002/2003 season, but the average league attendance was less than 7,000.

TTA saved the Club and asked for attendances of over 8,000. I thought they were over-optimistic and, as I said earlier, I wished them well.

A supporting statement! Earlier in the season, as our league position and football improved, our home attendances actually decreased! I do feel that we, the fans, have let the club down somewhat! At least those ones who did not show up.

Edited by laticsmad

Yes, they always have and many a 'U' turn performed since. Your point is Terry?

My point is simple, those who have questions might like to seek answers from the horse's mouth. 'U' turns may follow as circumstances change, but it's got to be better than worrying about what the third cousin of the assistant groundsman might have said to someone's friend in a bus queue.

My point is simple, those who have questions might like to seek answers from the horse's mouth. 'U' turns may follow as circumstances change, but it's got to be better than worrying about what the third cousin of the assistant groundsman might have said to someone's friend in a bus queue.

haha when you put it like that you really can't argue your point!!

Which supports my statement, we can't expect any more. Oldham Athletic have struggled to achieve anymore than that pre-Premiership, and there was plenty going on then. I agree, Corney was optimistic to hope for better than 7000 gates with playing staff that has seen its quality in decline for nearly a decade, and a football ground that is now an embarrassment. It's harsh for the teams dawdling at the wrong end of the pyramid with no brass or hope, but it's fairly plain to me - these days, success begats success, and until the day footy disappears up its own arse, if you can't buy success - you're :censored:ed.