Pure Gym

oafc0000

I'm a member of the one in Edinburgh and would definitely recommend them. If you're after full on health club with swimming pool, sauna and the like then don't bother but it's great if you're just looking for a basic fitness gym with convenient hours. I get most of my exercise running outdoors but because Pure Gym are so cheap I can use them for a couple of cross training sessions a week and still get my money's worth.

I'm a member of the one in Edinburgh and would definitely recommend them. If you're after full on health club with swimming pool, sauna and the like then don't bother but it's great if you're just looking for a basic fitness gym with convenient hours. I get most of my exercise running outdoors but because Pure Gym are so cheap I can use them for a couple of cross training sessions a week and still get my money's worth.

Alz or Total Fitness - both Oldham. Both cheaper. Will probably get a free pack of 'roids with your membership, too. :ranting::lol:

I go to one which is the same system in Picadilly Gardens just called "The gym" thegymgroup.com.

There isn't a catch.

I tried that one for a few months. Fine for most people except serious weight trainers, as the range of free weight equipment is utter crap, and dumbells only go up to 30kg

Maybe they have new equipment? there is 2 free weight areas. One has heavier weights.

To be fairthough, I'm hardly a serious weight trainer.

Edited by pukka

Maybe they have new equipment? there is 2 free weight areas. One has heavier weights.

To be fairthough, I'm hardly a serious weight trainer.

The one to the left as you come in with the smith machine was the main one with the heavier weights, but as I said before, the heaviest dumbell was only 30kg, and it was kind of cramped.

Thought the resistance machines were plentiful in supply, I am quite old school and prefer free weights anyday as they don't restrict your movement like resistance machines do.

Thought the cardio equipment was fantastic though.

The one to the left as you come in with the smith machine was the main one with the heavier weights, but as I said before, the heaviest dumbell was only 30kg, and it was kind of cramped.

Thought the resistance machines were plentiful in supply, I am quite old school and prefer free weights anyday as they don't restrict your movement like resistance machines do.

Thought the cardio equipment was fantastic though.

It's good to know why you're doing weights, what are your goals, and set targets to reach those objectives. If you go to these - quite franky - waste of spaces without a plan, or a reason, you'll lose focus.

To be fair though, unless you're full on weight lifter I'd argue that you probably don't need more than 30-40kg. I don't do big weights (I have all my kit at home) - I use 30kg over a range of disciplines (about 8-10 depending on how arsed I am) in 12-10-8 rep sets to suppliment my plyometrics, 3 or 4 times a week or as much as I can do inbetween the other stuff I do. I know I need explosive power, with some upper body strength, I don't need to be pushing my maximal every week and be looking in the mirror like a :censored:.

The beauty of plyo is there are so many different ways to do your training, even using your own body weight - which in my case is about 85kg, (ample I'd say!), it suits me and my sports, perfectly.

I won't be lifting anything above 30kg :) I doubt I will be going higher than 20kg...

I usually do a 30 min cardio workout and then just tone using the resistance machines and maybe a small amount of free weights. So hopefully will be good for me.

Edited by oafc0000

I won't be lifting anything above 30kg :) I doubt I will be going higher than 20kg...

I usually do a 30 min cardio workout and then just tone using the resistance machines and maybe a small amount of free weights. So hopefully will be good for me.

In which case I think pure gym will suit you down to the ground. There is no 'catch' as such with Puregym/the gym group. All their memberships are processed online rather than at each individual club. Your given an individual doorcode in order to access the club, which means that the gym dont have to pay receptionists etc. The only staff you see knocking about are the trainers and cleaner.

Everything else is centrally managed.

It's good to know why you're doing weights, what are your goals, and set targets to reach those objectives. If you go to these - quite franky - waste of spaces without a plan, or a reason, you'll lose focus.

To be fair though, unless you're full on weight lifter I'd argue that you probably don't need more than 30-40kg. I don't do big weights (I have all my kit at home) - I use 30kg over a range of disciplines (about 8-10 depending on how arsed I am) in 12-10-8 rep sets to suppliment my plyometrics, 3 or 4 times a week or as much as I can do inbetween the other stuff I do. I know I need explosive power, with some upper body strength, I don't need to be pushing my maximal every week and be looking in the mirror like a :censored:.

The beauty of plyo is there are so many different ways to do your training, even using your own body weight - which in my case is about 85kg, (ample I'd say!), it suits me and my sports, perfectly.

Yup. Do my weights at home too, plus plenty of plyometric workouts at the boxing gym - but there's nothing to stop anybody doing plyometric workouts at home or in the garden - essential work for anybody wanting to get fit and strong. Do my running out on the road or grass. No need for gym memberships - especially those fancy ones with distractions like women, and steam rooms etc. Spent too much money and wasted too much time in those types of places in the past.

Edited by Yard Dog