Ernie was a legend for me before he died. It's not always about time served at the club, ability etc. It's also about the impact a player can have and Ernie that season epitomised the fighting spirit, belief and never say die attitude the club needed.

Dear me Craig Worswick get a grip.

One season of poor ability but graft and he is a legend? Oh I forgot he's dead, yeah he's a legend, my bad. :sick:

That's pretty shallow , he maybe not a legend in your eyes mine or other people . If it came down to impact then wouldn't you stick porter in there ? Prozac pointed out he is the only one in a very long time to bag more than 20 in a season.

Dear me Craig Worswick get a grip.

One season of poor ability but graft and he is a legend? Oh I forgot he's dead, yeah he's a legend, my bad. :sick:

There's more to being a legend than just ability. Ernie epitomised the spirit of the club at a time when it was needed most. He would've been remembered fondly by Latics fans regardless of whether he'd died or not.

He's maybe not top 5, but you seem to be arguing for arguments sake.

Ernie was certainly a cult hero when he was here, therefore qualifies for legend status IMO. He lived the dream of all semi-pro players, which maybe makes a few semi-pro players who think they were good enough as well a bit jealous maybe? I think it is also worth bearing in mind that he was an Oldham Athletic supporter, which counts for something in the legend stakes.

Ernie was certainly a cult hero when he was here, therefore qualifies for legend status IMO. He lived the dream of all semi-pro players, which maybe makes a few semi-pro players who think they were good enough as well a bit jealous maybe? I think it is also worth bearing in mind that he was an Oldham Athletic supporter, which counts for something in the legend stakes

But let's be honest he is not in the top 5 is he ?

Depends what the question is. Probably not in my 100 top quality players ever if my confuddled brain could work on it. Maybe in my top 5 most likeable. He had more talent than johnny :censored:ing eyre, i know that much.

:lol: I agree with the last bit. How was he ever popular at latics ?

Surely this just highlights the fact that 'legend' means a different thing to different people. And different things to the same people. I haven't looked at the link if my point is moot.

I just find it interesting that people can see Ernie as a legend but not Chris Taylor. Johnny eyre was a legend amongst some, Eyresy and shez often mentioned between middle-aged fans. Older fans talk about players ive never heard of or never saw play.

Tis largely subjective. I find it interesting!

I wrote that article guys and I appreciate the comments in the thread. It got people debating and so lived up to its initial point.

I don't expect anyone to agree with my selection but I based it on what I saw in the players and what I like in footballers. I went for loyal servants with a fascinating story, a genuinely quality footballer, a player who delivered 100% commitment, a player who has gone on to break into the Premier League, and a lad who's living the dream as a Latics supporter who has clocked up a decent appearance tally.

I'm sure it is totally different in others' eyes which is the whole idea really.

Surely this just highlights the fact that 'legend' means a different thing to different people. And different things to the same people. I haven't looked at the link if my point is moot.

I just find it interesting that people can see Ernie as a legend but not Chris Taylor. Johnny eyre was a legend amongst some, Eyresy and shez often mentioned between middle-aged fans. Older fans talk about players ive never heard of or never saw play.

Tis largely subjective. I find it interesting!

Being old definitely helps. Shez for playing on after he was medically pronounced dead, Eyres for having played for 17 years as a late starter and still able to put full backs on their arse with his trick? Taylor is too quiet a person to get the status as a youngster just by being quite good at football. He needs to :censored: Taggart Junior, get caught spit-roasting Miss Middleton with Joe Royle at the other end or get arrested for being the first to piss on Fayed's Jacko statue to make the grade himself.

With all due respect to Ernie and sentiment aside Ernie Cooksey would be nowhere near that lot...

My 5

Greegs

Eyres

Pogliacomi (for his good days and his clean sheets record)

Shez

Armstrong

i would have to say..

eyres

goram

palmer

groves

holden

My 5 would include

Sir Nick Henry ... For sheer determination and his permanent smile

Andy Gorton ... Who would have played for England had he not been into fire

Roger Palmer .. No need to explain

Shez ... See Palmer

Stitch ..... Without whom we would never have seen premier league .

Just missing out

Dennis Irwin ... Never put a foot wrong in Latics colours ... Until he donned that horrible red shirt .... Shudder

I have to wonder if Ernie had left like he did, went to dale and then to Grays never became ill - just plodding along in the lower leagues for different teams

would he even be remembered by alot on here after a few years?

would he be a thought of as a legend?

i appreciate people feelings about Ernie but I think it would have all been seen in a different WAY if he was still alive today.

RIP