Three key decisions in the game today.

1) Feeney - was he offside? The flag went up after he put the ball in the net, but I was sure he was behind the ball when the first rebound shot came in after he'd hit the bar.

2) The free kick that led to their goal - the referee ignored the collision, the linesman didn't put his flag up, the Walsall fans roared, the ref then decided to give the free kick. Looked a harsh decision.

3) The red card - I was a long way off, but I thought he got the ball. Was it the old "studs = dangerous = red" or was there more to it?

Not seen the sending off again, but from where I was sat in the Chaddy it looked like a nailed on red card. Morais went in with his studs showing and it looked to me as though he had both feet off the ground. 10 years ago that would have been classed as a fantastic tackle, but players know that in the modern game, if you make a tackle like that you are asking for trouble.

I'd still be interested in seeing it again though.

And on Feeney - I've been very critical of him this season, in particular about his attitude but I thought he did ok yesterday, and actually worked quite hard.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not seen the sending off again, but from where I was sat in the Chaddy it looked like a nailed on red card. Morais went in with his studs showing and it looked to me as though he had both feet off the ground. 10 years ago that would have been classed as a fantastic tackle, but players know that in the modern game, if you make a tackle like that you are asking for trouble.

I'd still be interested in seeing it again though.

And on Feeney - I've been very critical of him this season, in particular about his attitude but I thought he did ok yesterday, and actually worked quite hard.

Football is fast becoming a game for whimps. I thought Morais tackle was a very good tackle. Id be proud of it anyway. Footballers are bitches nowadays and need to man up.

That is Morais' 2nd red card this season which, if I'm not mistaken will incur an additioanl game so he would miss the 1st 2 games next season.

As for your other points. This season was always a tough debut for PD. He inheited a squad that was obviously inadequate. He brought in a number of close season "signings" and loans and produced a decent 1st half to the season with a thin squad that he needed to improve and bulk up with a bit more quality before the enforced break. The January business looked fairly good on paper but has proved to be otherwise. The biggest disappointment has been the more senior players brought in who have played at higher levels and who you would have expected more from. Feeney, Jarrett and Todd being the prime examples. White has faded badly after a flying start, not helped by his injury. Trotman has not looked half the player that we sold and M'Voto was a big miss after he was injured agianst Rochdale. Oh and Amos for all his Man U pedigree was as culpable as Brill has been. Overall January's business must be looked back at and lessons learnt

Our squad this season has been way too big in numbers at around 27 players and has lacked quality. A big cull is needed in the summer and I would prefer to see us work with a squad of no more than around 20 players next season + 1st year professionals Tarkowski, Winchester Carr & Hughes. Hopefully PD will be able to concentrate on quality rather than quantity now that a number of contracts are up. Bring in a couple of steady eddies to add guile and knowhow at this level to guide the kids and then we can judge the manager on what will be his squad.

Who will be released and who will be "sold" for fees will determine PD's budget and realistic targets for next season.

I would expect that Brill, Todd, Hazell, Jones, Reid, Alessandra, Brooke (unfortunately) Ollerenshaw and McDonald could all be released and M'Voto, Tounkara, White, Trotman and Lowe's loans will end.

That would leave, Furman, Smalley, Lee, Feeney, Taylor, Stephens, Black, Millar, Morais, Bembo-Lita and Evina either contracted or offered new deals. Add M'Voto and Tounkara and you have 13 players. However I would expect that to make ends meet, if the right offers come in then at least 2 of Stephens, Lee, Taylor and Smalley will be sold and Feeney will be "released" if he can find another employer, so you can see between 10 and 12 new signings during the summer.

The biggest loss of the summer though could well be our Physio. MC has had a big impact particularly in injury prevention. Whilst there is little you can do about imapct injuries, the big reduction in muscle injuries has been a big plus since Mc has been here and I fear he will be hard to replace.

Overall though, PD will probably look back at the season with a fair bit of disappointment but will surely look forward to the close season, when he will at last get a chance and a full summer to properly stamp his own personality on the squad.

Nice Post.

I agree with pretty much all of what you’ve said really; in terms of player retention and the staying / off list for next season. As much as you need continuity of staff; I think it’s pretty obvious that once again we’ll have a large turn-a-round of players going out & coming in. If we as fans are honest; I think we all expect 1 or maybe 2 of the ‘assets’ to be sold this close season; take your pick from Stephens (most likely IMO), Lee, Taylor or Furman. If 3 of those are left come the end of August 2011; I’d be made up – but I have a sneaky feeling that it’ll be 2 from 4.

Of the ones whose contracts are up – whether they gets offered & sign a new deal I think massively depends on whether the club (PD, the management team & SC/AH) think there is better out there in the free transfer market.

I personally would offer Reuben Hazell another year; as I think he is much maligned on here but is actually what you get in L1 from a CB; mostly solid but prone to the odd error. I think we could do (a lot) better than Dean Brill; but i would fully understand if he was offered another year if they (the powers) don’t feel they could do better out in the market.

For me; it’s going to be a massive shame; as I really rate him; but I don’t see Lewis Alice getting another deal – he seems to be out of favour; and for whatever reason(s) PD seems to overlook him; and if thats the case; I cant see him wanting to offer another deal to a player who he keeps on the fringe.

Out in the market this close season; there will be the usual mixture of free transfers to plough through & chose from........it’ll be the age old issue of finding the players who would a.) add something to our side, b.) want to come and play for Oldham & c.) agree a deal within our budget constraints > easier said than done.

Big close season this for the club. Big close season for PD & his managerial career & a big close season for a large chunk of our players. Lets see what it brings.

Nice Post.

I agree with pretty much all of what you’ve said really; in terms of player retention and the staying / off list for next season. As much as you need continuity of staff; I think it’s pretty obvious that once again we’ll have a large turn-a-round of players going out & coming in. If we as fans are honest; I think we all expect 1 or maybe 2 of the ‘assets’ to be sold this close season; take your pick from Stephens (most likely IMO), Lee, Taylor or Furman. If 3 of those are left come the end of August 2011; I’d be made up – but I have a sneaky feeling that it’ll be 2 from 4.

Of the ones whose contracts are up – whether they gets offered & sign a new deal I think massively depends on whether the club (PD, the management team & SC/AH) think there is better out there in the free transfer market.

I personally would offer Reuben Hazell another year; as I think he is much maligned on here but is actually what you get in L1 from a CB; mostly solid but prone to the odd error. I think we could do (a lot) better than Dean Brill; but i would fully understand if he was offered another year if they (the powers) don’t feel they could do better out in the market.

For me; it’s going to be a massive shame; as I really rate him; but I don’t see Lewis Alice getting another deal – he seems to be out of favour; and for whatever reason(s) PD seems to overlook him; and if thats the case; I cant see him wanting to offer another deal to a player who he keeps on the fringe.

Out in the market this close season; there will be the usual mixture of free transfers to plough through & chose from........it’ll be the age old issue of finding the players who would a.) add something to our side, b.) want to come and play for Oldham & c.) agree a deal within our budget constraints > easier said than done.

Big close season this for the club. Big close season for PD & his managerial career & a big close season for a large chunk of our players. Lets see what it brings.

Agree with all of this.

If we don't get Mvoto I think Hazell and Tarkowski could be a decent partnership for us and while I agree that we could do better than Brill I think the more pressing concern is to change our attacking personnel, so if we don't have the money left to find someone better then I'm happy enough with Brill.

As for our 4 assets, while Lee has really impressed me this year I feel that him leaving would not affect the team as much as losing Furman, Stephens or Taylor simply because of the position that he plays, I think that he's the best player with the ball at his feet that the club has had for years but other players such as Winchester could be developed to play in his position. Losing Taylor's attacking threat and versatility and Furman's presence in midfield will be very difficult to replace, Stephens has already proven to be difficult to replace but I'm sure the club is planning for next season without him anyway.

Agree with all of this.

If we don't get Mvoto I think Hazell and Tarkowski could be a decent partnership for us and while I agree that we could do better than Brill I think the more pressing concern is to change our attacking personnel, so if we don't have the money left to find someone better then I'm happy enough with Brill.

As for our 4 assets, while Lee has really impressed me this year I feel that him leaving would not affect the team as much as losing Furman, Stephens or Taylor simply because of the position that he plays, I think that he's the best player with the ball at his feet that the club has had for years but other players such as Winchester could be developed to play in his position. Losing Taylor's attacking threat and versatility and Furman's presence in midfield will be very difficult to replace, Stephens has already proven to be difficult to replace but I'm sure the club is planning for next season without him anyway.

Good point that.

Not belittling Kieran Lee here at all; as for the record; I think he has been outstanding this season; but RBs a two a penny across the leagues, so if he were to leave Im sure we could find a solid replacement out in the market; granted one that will most likely not have KLs composure & class on the ball but one that will still do more than a job for us. Heck as you point out; we look to have one on our books already in Carl Winchester.

Replacing Taylor & Furman will IMO prove more of a trickier proposition.

Edited by slystallone

This time last season, the general opinion of Furman was :censored:e. Dickov has found those qualities in him that we had not seen before. :applause1:

Disagree, the early part of last season and certainly in pre-season you could see his quality but as injuries bit and Penney took the damage limitation approach, Furman had to drop deeper and became less effective. Pretty much how he's been during this poor run, it started with Stephens injury and his own suspension and injury which saw him return to a team low on confidence and him being asked to play deeper, he's simply not as effective as when he is playing box to box. Ironically it was him playing further forward that provided the assist for yesterday's late equaliser.

Tbh, I thought that yesterday and had no arguments, now i've seen it again i'm not so sure. It was a hard tackle but his feet were not off the ground. It coukd have gone either way imo...

I thought watching it live it was a Farcical sending off; it wasnt even a foul and having seen it back on the web & TV; I stand by that. Never a sending off in a month of Sundays. Id appeal and use the Walsall managers comments to the media a statement to back up our appeal. Plus; as Ive posted elsewhere; I ended up having a fair bit of chat with Dean Smith during the game and in his words at the time in reply to many of us around where I sit after our rants at the ref; Smith just said I know I know; never a red that.

Disagree, the early part of last season and certainly in pre-season you could see his quality but as injuries bit and Penney took the damage limitation approach, Furman had to drop deeper and became less effective. Pretty much how he's been during this poor run, it started with Stephens injury and his own suspension and injury which saw him return to a team low on confidence and him being asked to play deeper, he's simply not as effective as when he is playing box to box. Ironically it was him playing further forward that provided the assist for yesterday's late equaliser.

But yet from deeper on the pitch he made 4 stunning long range; inch perfect balls out to the wings straight to feet, which injected pace & tempo to stagnating bits of possession. From deep or further forward; hes just a very good CM player at this level.

Edited by slystallone

I'd happliy sell taylor. keep furman and lee definatly.

So you'd happily sell the player who follows Oldham. Has scored the most goals this season (bar Stephens) and also provided the most assists as well?

Until Saturday Furman had the same number of assists as Dean Brill and hasn't scored in months!! and Kieran Lee is just a right-back.

LaticsLee, on 26 April 2011 - 07:54 AM, said:

So you'd happily sell the player who follows Oldham. Has scored the most goals this season (bar Stephens) and also provided the most assists as well?

Until Saturday Furman had the same number of assists as Dean Brill and hasn't scored in months!! and Kieran Lee is just a right-back.

Unbelievable that anyone would be happy about selling Taylor, Furman or Lee - how difficult would it be to replace them? All are vital to our hopes next season.

Or am I just watching a different team? :unsure:

LaticsLee, on 26 April 2011 - 07:54 AM, said:

Unbelievable that anyone would be happy about selling Taylor, Furman or Lee - how difficult would it be to replace them? All are vital to our hopes next season.

I don't want to see any of them go but if the price is right then we must sell. The only sensible thing we can do unless we can increase revenues another way?

Agree with this. Taylor's the most creative player we have and Furman keep's the midfield ticking over well. Reckon we would miss Lee a lot - can't remember him having one bad game this season.

Don't think Stephens would be a big loss - our form hasn't really got any worse since he's gone to Saints. If we need to sell to survive, I hope we try and sell him first.

If we had to sell one of Lee furman or Taylor then I'd say goodbye Taylor. We have enough wingers. We have morais McGrath millar who all can progress under dickov if Taylor goes. We don't have another player as good in cm as furman. I still truly believe that furman is better than Stephens