Season ticket initiative

This is an bold one from Hartlepool:

LINK

Be interesting to see how they get and I wonder how something like this would affect sales at Latics.

I hope it works out for Hartlepool. Something similar was tried here but it was met with the same 'we can't do that so I won't bother' attitude.

I hope it works out for Hartlepool. Something similar was tried here but it was met with the same 'we can't do that so I won't bother' attitude.

But was the bottom price set at £100 ? hell if it was and all adult season ticket holders promised and delivered buying two ST's each (still cheaper than currently one) it would be easy to reach.

But was the bottom price set at £100 ? hell if it was and all adult season ticket holders promised and delivered buying two ST's each (still cheaper than currently one) it would be easy to reach.

exactly lags....for that price then buying 2 is an option...

interesting to see they only need a break even figure of 4k......we have been told in the past our break even figure is 8k....but lets be honest...we aint gonna get that yet are we...could it work if the club said ok look....150 a pop but we need to shift 5k....i think this time round,with the enthusiasm of dickov and the fact its 100% better than when penney was here...people may just go for it...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

They've now sold 3,504 - only 496 tickets away from the 4,000. Five days left. Good on 'em.

That's not bad going considering they only averaged about 3500 in total last season. add a few pay on the dayers and away fans the should but 1000 on that this year

That's not bad going considering they only averaged about 3500 in total last season. add a few pay on the dayers and away fans the should but 1000 on that this year

Thats the bit that could go wrong though, they are more than likely to lose alot of pay on the dayers as alot of them will have bought season tickets.

Thats the bit that could go wrong though, they are more than likely to lose alot of pay on the dayers as alot of them will have bought season tickets.

that's true but the match day revenue should go up slightly with extra people in car park, buying programmes, food etc. Don't know if that will cover it though

They've bumped up the pay on the day prices too- its now £25 for a seat at Hartlepool and £20 if you are happy to stand (so away fans without concessions is £25 which is a bit of a rip-off) see http://www.hartlepoolunited.co.uk/page/MatchdayPrices/0,,10326,00.html

Hartlepool's location means that they don't have any big rivals in our league- their nearest league opponent is probably Huddersfield and they are easily over an hour away on a good day. So getting the occassional fan to pay for 5 games in advance (most occassional fans will stand) makes sense a bit for them but they are still likely to loose money compared to last season. In 2009-10 their average attendance was 3444 (that includes away fans), our average attendance in the same year (Penney) was 4630.

I reckon that to make money, compared to normal operating, on a scheme like this we'd have to sell over 6000 season tickets which considering at times we struggle to get 6000 home seats available makes it a bit difficult.

How much would a temporary stand ala the old Gene Kelly one at Blackpool cost- as it might be feasible for us to make one of those and charge a £100 quid for a season ticket in there?

Edited by rudemedic

A massive 5,077 now sold. It's got to be a success with those figures, hasn't it?

Depends on how many season tickets they sell under normal circumstances- 1500 at £300 a pop its a success, 2000 at £300 it isn't. Plus you have to take into account the loss of pay on the day custom. As it stands to reason some people who used to pay on the day won't have to as they now have season tickets- so you actually need to sell more than the factorial. Given that Pool were happy to sell season tickets at £100 if they got 4000 I think they will have made money.

Current season ticket prices at Oldham are £300+ and we have roughly 2000 season ticket holders. If we were to sell season tickets at £100 we would need to sell over 6000 to make the same money. This season we are going to be shutting the RRE to home fans on a few occassions, to save/make money, that leaves us on those occassions around 6000 home seats left. We cannot have more season ticket holders than seats, therefore whilst we have a 3 sided BP it is not profitable and we would be better staying with what we have.

If we move/redevelop it might be doable, until then it isn't.

End of deadline day and they've sold just shy of 5,700. I think I saw somewhere that their usual figure is around 1,600 (pretty comparable with our own).

More people in the ground means more sales of programmes, food, beer, parking, etc. It also potentially increases the following long-term with a few finding or re-finding the bug.

Also, it means they can make a few quid more out of away fans by bumping up the price of matchday tickets considerably.

End of deadline day and they've sold just shy of 5,700. I think I saw somewhere that their usual figure is around 1,600 (pretty comparable with our own).

More people in the ground means more sales of programmer, food, beer, parking, etc. It also potentially increases the following long-term with a few finding or re-finding the bug.

Also, it means they can make a few quid more out of away fans by bumping up the price of matchday to tickets considerably.

Probably end up selling more merchandise too, as well as finding it easier selling the club to sponsors and advertisers.

I was a big proponent of this type of initiative being tried out at Latics a few years ago...got shouted down on here by virtually everyone..usually the loss of pay on the day income was cited...

I genuinely felt we could've pulled it off about 4 years ago, but I'm not so sure now....we've seen home crowds drop quite a bit in that time and apathy increase, budget decrease.....

Probably end up selling more merchandise too, as well as finding it easier selling the club to sponsors and advertisers.

I was a big proponent of this type of initiative being tried out at Latics a few years ago...got shouted down on here by virtually everyone..usually the loss of pay on the day income was cited...

I genuinely felt we could've pulled it off about 4 years ago, but I'm not so sure now....we've seen home crowds drop quite a bit in that time and apathy increase, budget decrease.....

They would probably have to work their wage budget too solely on the basis of the season ticket revenue, as I doubt they will get many pay on the dayers at all, but I would imagine programme sales, food sales etc would go through the roof, and they wouldnt have to worry about not being able to pay the wages after a couple of postponements.

They will only know if it has worked if at the end of 2011/2012 season there revenue is the same as or higher than last season, b ut sincerely hope it does.