Simon Corney Interview

You have to buy the membership card for £13 and provide written proof from your institution that you are in full-time education then you can buy tickets at the concessionary rate. It stops abuse but also deters the walk-up on the day students….

Thanks. And then a matchday ticket would cost how much next season? Can't see this on the official site.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two thoughts on younger fans:

Kids under 16 - the £50 season ticket is absolutely brilliant. The club has a product available that's right up there. They need to get this message out there more and more. They could do worse than give 500 away via the local rag. So it's not just a "one off" it turns in to a habit for them. Hopefully they'll drag Dad along as well (are there any local businesses that would commit £25k to such a promotion, or perhaps provide half season tickets that the kids can renew for £25 at Christmas?).

Students - remove the paperwork and fee that's needed to get a student discounted season ticket.

You don't even need to worry about the cost... wait until the season is under way and then do it - at that point the people you're giving them to will either already have one or never intended to buy one.

If you do it through the schools and with the Chron you might hit 1/10 that already have one and thus to be fair you'd have to return them their £50.

But by doing that you've reduced the cost/lossed income considerably.

Can't see this on the official site.

Probably the number one marketing tool that Latics have.

Maintaining an accurate and eye-catching web site is a big job, but you really would expect questions like "what will it cost me and what do I have to do to get it" to be clear for all to see.

I think it's the adult season tickets Simon is more worried about. The Under 65's that aren't buying season tickets as much.

We all know a few fans that used to go that don't anymore for whatever reason. They are the fans that we need to get back to BP.

I know plenty of people who used to go that had season tickets and went home and away, this same group are getting fewer and fewer or picking and choosing the games they go to.

How do you sell a season ticket for £300+ to those who don't go anymore?

I think it's the adult season tickets Simon is more worried about. The Under 65's that aren't buying season tickets as much.

We all know a few fans that used to go that don't anymore for whatever reason. They are the fans that we need to get back to BP.

I know plenty of people who used to go that had season tickets and went home and away, this same group are getting fewer and fewer or picking and choosing the games they go to.

Thats the hard part.

Probably the number one marketing tool that Latics have.

Maintaining an accurate and eye-catching web site is a big job, but you really would expect questions like "what will it cost me and what do I have to do to get it" to be clear for all to see.

You only have to see the strides Huddersfield have made since appointing Jarvis, whatever his big fat salary was I'm sure he earned the club plenty of money too in the 5 years or so he was here, in the 5 years since he left our marketing icome and crowds have gone way…..direct correlation? I think so…...

You only have to see the strides Huddersfield have made since appointing Jarvis, whatever his big fat salary was I'm sure he earned the club plenty of money too in the 5 years or so he was here, in the 5 years since he left our marketing icome and crowds have gone way…..direct correlation? I think so…...

Oh and since Stu Vose and Dan Shaw left, the main site is a joke, our LP only does about 20% of what it should do. Most other clubs include classic matches, an archive and highlights of reserves and youths. Hell, Carlisle even provide yoofs commentary! Oh and not to mention EXTENDED first team highlights….

Couldn't disagree more Macca. How old were you when you first went? How old were you, when you got your first ST? Did you use pester power to go to your first game? That's where the future of the club lies and it always has done not in begging the stayaways to come back, the majority are gone and gone for good. BUT if you get it right for the kiddies, then pester power can have a massive effect - look at what Hudds and Citeh have done. Most kids are not that bothered who they watch to begin with they just want to see footie. The club does a lot within the community but it could be so much better….

PS the answer to my first three questions are 9, 16 for my first membership and 18 for my first ST and yes I mithered and mithered for my dad to take me, himself a lapsed fan through disillusion and unemployment.

My daughter has mithered and mithered to go this year, she's not a BB member and a ST Holder for next season, she dances for Blue Crew and has posters of PD and Chris Taylor on her wall. She's 8 on Friday, it can be done. I never once pressured her. On the flip side my boy is 13 this year and getting more and more indifferent, simply because we're crap!

Edited by oafcprozac

Oh and since Stu Vose and Dan Shaw left, the main site is a joke, our LP only does about 20% of what it should do. Most other clubs include classic matches, an archive and highlights of reserves and youths. Hell, Carlisle even provide yoofs commentary! Oh and not to mention EXTENDED first team highlights….

Easy answer to that is budget.

I did 70+ hour weeks several times at Latics, as me and Gordy were the entire team (plus Mike and Roy on comms)... some teams have 5 or 6 people doing the same level of work. Now it's Gordy and I assume Tony and Billy (I've not kept in touch)? Can't imagine it being that easy for them to be as effective as others can we?

Find out the reason they won't go any more and address the issue, if it is addressable.

As prozac said, some have simply moved on.

The reason why I am not renewing my season ticket this year is because I simply do not enjoy going any more, which is mainly down to piss poor matchday experienced combined with a significant proportion of our fans who are backwards thinking, living in the past, with a small town mentality.

The only thing which would get me through the turnstiles again whilst at boundary park (or wherever we end up sharing) would be a set of stadium plans that are realistic, deliverable, affordable, fully costed, and that could support progress if implemented. Untill the club does this, their not getting a penny of my money.

Other people who don't go will have their own reasons, these are mine.

Easy answer to that is budget.

I did 70+ hour weeks several times at Latics, as me and Gordy were the entire team (plus Mike and Roy on comms)... some teams have 5 or 6 people doing the same level of work. Now it's Gordy and I assume Tony and Billy (I've not kept in touch)? Can't imagine it being that easy for them to be as effective as others can we?

No, but there's seems an inability to understand that the longer you spend interacting on LP and the Fishal generates more money for the club. There's a downright stubborn refusal to speculate to accumulate at every single level of the club, it's a pathetic attitude to take. If your business was struggling you'd be pro-active and move heaven and earth to bring extra-custom in and develop new revenue streams. Our grand new marketing strategy is a new club crest, a few more lights in the shop, the 'We are Latics' slogan and Eden designing a few t-shirts….

What would I do to bring in more younger fans?

* First of all make the BB's Co-ordinator a full-time position within the club

* Allow the £3 admission into the Main Stand Paddocks

* Another tuck shop in the RRE

* Aggressive Marketing of BB's, Chron, Advertiser anywhere where kids go…

* Adverts in all Oldham Sports Centres

* Marketing packs sent to all schools in Oldham and requests sent to schools for a 5 minute presentation at the end of assemblies. Oldham Sports Centres and Oldham RUFC have done this in three schools I have worked in and it does work. The community project at Latics do work closely with some schools and this needs to be expanded

*Free Tickets offered for under 16s, a different school each match, with half-price for guardians

* Pocket money range in the club shop

* Hudds/Hudds Giants offer a Cheap ST for 7 year olds and they get a Town and Giants shirt free - join forces with the RL club?

* A billboard at the top of Sheepfoot Lane advertising matches - I mean FFS we've been banging this drum for years. Why has it still not happened?

* Schools playing games on the pitch EVERY home game

* Expand the Chaddy Owl comic strip - Monthly comic? Prizes etc.. I know BB work hard with their non-budget but let's be honest the newsletter is poor at best. My son and daughter have never given theirs a second glance

* BB's penalty shoot-outs at Half-Time on the pitch? Pick 10 random BB's ST holders put of the crowd - take the pens against the sub keeper on the day

* Get PD and club captain into schools for Q and A sessions - this could be incorporated into many areas of the curriculum but it is up to the club to make themselves available

Edited by oafcprozac

No, but there's seems an inability to understand that the longer you spend interacting on LP and the Fishal generates more money for the club. There's a downright stubborn refusal to speculate to accumulate at every single level of the club, it's a pathetic attitude to take. If your business was struggling you'd be pro-active and move heaven and earth to bring extra-custom in and develop new revenue streams. Our grand new marketing strategy is a new club crest, a few more lights in the shop, the 'We are Latics' slogan and Eden designing a few t-shirts….

You're preaching to the choir mate - there's a reason I was doing twice the hours for half the money I am now. They rely entirely on loyalty to the club to get things on the cheap.

As for Marketing Guys plans, well I can't really say what I think - even with the newly relaxed swearing rules!

You're preaching to the choir mate - there's a reason I was doing twice the hours for half the money I am now. They rely entirely on loyalty to the club to get things on the cheap.

As for Marketing Guys plans, well I can't really say what I think - even with the newly relaxed swearing rules!

They had plans???

Are you saying he had good plans, but no budget to back them with?

(Closed question, to reduce risk of swearing)

As above. In my opinion some were good and some were :censored: awful (token swearing I know!).

In my opinion most were :censored:.

This is a really long thread and i'm really lazy so this may have been said before. Anyway, given that SC is worried that much of our fanbase is in the 65+ bracket how much would we stand to lose by making kids tickets £3 or something similar? On each kid we'd lose £8 but then we'd more than likely get a lot more coming for that price and a lot more parents willing to bring their kids as well which might see some lapsed fans get involved again. I think we're so often too short sighted in how we approach our falling attendances. Something like this obviously needs to be really pushed as well in the local schools, local sunday league teams, scouts/cubs/beavers/hitler youth etc.

Get 'em hooked today, reap the benefits tomorrow.....

This is a really long thread and i'm really lazy so this may have been said before. Anyway, given that SC is worried that much of our fanbase is in the 65+ bracket how much would we stand to lose by making kids tickets £3 or something similar? On each kid we'd lose £8 but then we'd more than likely get a lot more coming for that price and a lot more parents willing to bring their kids as well which might see some lapsed fans get involved again. I think we're so often too short sighted in how we approach our falling attendances. Something like this obviously needs to be really pushed as well in the local schools, local sunday league teams, scouts/cubs/beavers/hitler youth etc.

Get 'em hooked today, reap the benefits tomorrow.....

May I refer the honourable gentleman to Post 38 on this thread….