Simon Corney Interview

Happy with Dckov's start, disappointed with the end of the season and where we finished but understands the mitigating circumstances of bad weather and mumps outbreak

Dickov has signed his new 12 month deal, no doubts we have the right guy. Previous seasons have gone into the season unsure about the manager. Not all about results, delighted with him

PD has given Corney a big list, but constrained. Main aim is survival, hopefully will retain 'most' of the team and hopefully add to that

ST sales not as good as expected, but understands financial constraints affecting people, have passed 1,000 - if its for football reasons, we are looking to improve and definitely want a striker or two

Worrying trend is fanbase is dominated by over 65s, need to encourage the younger fans, as we are bucking the trend

Labour Council, club favours Labour Council. Spoke to McMahon, very impressed and feels for the first time the club could work with the council in moving forward - long way to go yet

Smaller squad with more quality, PD wants a smaller squad with more quality

How can club go forward? More of the same from last season, taking the positives. Life at the club is tough, financially club not in the best position but not in the worst. No debt, wages were late, but not getting into trouble by borrowing money at 12% like other clubs.

A cup run would help

Everything not rosy, but the club will carry on

Wants to thank the hardcore of fans who come week in week out home and away

Fantastic fans, without them there would be no club

Corney and his board will try their best to move the club forward

Re: Hardy, wishes him the best. Things should continue as they were

Hopes for the Play offs next season, if we can get a striker or two…

TO be honest he does alleviate some concerns and short of calling the guy a liar, what more can we do except get behind the club? We're in a very similar situation to where we were under Brierley, except we are getting maybe 1,000-1,500 fans less

Edited by oafcprozac

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can club go forward? More of the same from last season, taking the positives. Life at the club is tough, financially club not in the best position but not in the worst. No debt, wages were late, but not getting into trouble by borrowing money at 12% like other clubs.

Pretty bog standard stuff. Nothing unexpected.

Although, the bit in bold, what about that huge debt we owe his mates? I don't think we can really claim to be debt free.

Aiming for survival but hopin for playoffs. Cant say he isnt optimistic!

More needs to be done to get kids/teenagers through the gate. Hard work though i guess.

We def need more kids coming through the turnstiles. The question is how do we get them to games? I remember when i was in school and we used to get the occasional game where we would all get free tickets and quiet a few would go but most never went again cos they was already Utd or City fans. We need to get kids aware and intrested in Latics from an early age. My girlfriends brother is 5 and plays for heyside juniors, i think we should have a couple of players visiting clubs like this every month, showing off skills to the kids, a bit of the wow fator and giving out free tickets to games or even a £5 ticket that admits 1 child and 1 adult but giving actual tickets not just vouchers you have to go the club and swap for a ticket. Think it will kids more aware of there local team maybe wanting to go again.

How can we compete with man city who are just down the road and charge less than us for premier league football.

We cant compete but dont have to. Not every kid will want to be a city fan.

United were winning everything when i was a kid and just down the road, a lot of my friends supported them but i choose not to!

Edited by NIKI1234

We cant compete but dont have to. Not every kid will want to be a city fan

but given the choice they would rather go man city with there mates for a fiver than go watch latics for £11.

most kids follow there mates and the minority from oldham support one of the scum clubs

but given the choice they would rather go man city with there mates for a fiver than go watch latics for £11.

most kids follow there mates and the minority from oldham support one of the scum clubs

Well you and i didnt and several hundred others. We need to target these kids. Difficult yes but there will be local kids out there that will not want to support City/United

Edited by NIKI1234

Well you and i didnt and several hundred others. We need to target these kids. Difficult yes but there will be local kids out there that will not want to support City/United

In my opinion i think £11 is abit steep to attract new under 16 fans.

I've thought for years that young kids should be admitted free for all but all-ticket games, which, let's face it, are once in a blue moon. The only way to get them hooked is to make sure you get them there.

No one does it that I know of?

There must be a reason as like you I think it's a sound idea.

Two thoughts on younger fans:

Kids under 16 - the £50 season ticket is absolutely brilliant. The club has a product available that's right up there. They need to get this message out there more and more. They could do worse than give 500 away via the local rag. So it's not just a "one off" it turns in to a habit for them. Hopefully they'll drag Dad along as well (are there any local businesses that would commit £25k to such a promotion, or perhaps provide half season tickets that the kids can renew for £25 at Christmas?).

Students - remove the paperwork and fee that's needed to get a student discounted season ticket.

Kids under 16 - the £50 season ticket is absolutely brilliant. The club has a product available that's right up there. They need to get this message out there more and more. They could do worse than give 500 away via the local rag. So it's not just a "one off" it turns in to a habit for them. Hopefully they'll drag Dad along as well (are there any local businesses that would commit £25k to such a promotion, or perhaps provide half season tickets that the kids can renew for £25 at Christmas?).

Students - remove the paperwork and fee that's needed to get a student discounted season ticket.

Just need posters of this plastered around local schools, sports centres, shopping centres well every where really to get the message across even bang a big advertisment in the paper.

What's the deal with student tickets?

What's the deal with student tickets?

You have to buy the membership card for £13 and provide written proof from your institution that you are in full-time education then you can buy tickets at the concessionary rate. It stops abuse but also deters the walk-up on the day students….

Edited by oafcprozac