Its a gamble

To be fair, for all the players that come out of non league and fail to make the step up, you do occasionally find a Fitz Hall or a Charlie Austin. Well worth a go.

thats it,it is a gamble...but so is signing an experienced player(feeney) you just never know....the advantage of the non league player is that they are keen to get on and do well,live the dream....wasnt that long ago fitz hall,jermain beckford, dj campbell were playing non league...

thats it,it is a gamble...but so is signing an experienced player(feeney)

Thing is, signing Feeney costs a lot more in wages than even several non-league players combined.

I'm quite glad Latics are scouring the lower leagues for hidden gems. It's the way forward for clubs like us in the lower reaches with crowds dwindling.

It's all about opinions. I was told by one assistant manager a player I recommended from non league would never make it in league football in a million years, however Chris Waddle didn't do too bad did he ?

On the other side of the coin I have been wrong myself many times, I thought Wes Wilkinson had a chance of stepping up !

Some you win some you lose, but when a gem comes along it's all worthwhile.

Edited by BP1960

It's all about opinions. I was told by one assistant manager a player I recommended from non league would never make it in league football in a million years, however Chris Waddle didn't do too bad did he ?

On the other side of the coin I have been wrong myself many times, I thought Wes Wilkinson had a chance of stepping up !

Some you win some you lose, but when a gem comes along it's all worthwhile.

The thing that worries me with gambling on non-league players is Dave Penney almost got us relegated with league 2 players. I hope i'm wrong!

wouldn't it be as much of a gamble as signing any other player. we know that good strikers turn sh!te here when they come with good reputations and those gambles havent worked. there's nothing to lose by going into non-league shopping so im glad we have done and might do again

wouldn't it be as much of a gamble as signing any other player. we know that good strikers turn sh!te here when they come with good reputations and those gambles havent worked. there's nothing to lose by going into non-league shopping so im glad we have done and might do again

Nothing to lose except our league one status!!!

Nothing to lose except our league one status!!!

Slight exaggeration?

Our strikers are already :censored:, so signing a Young hungry lad who has gained him a reputation in the lower Leagues (One that he deserves aswell) for being a half decent striker and having a look. The lads just got out of Uni, he won't be on mega bucks!

You might be being sarky, but I've heard others who are saying the same thing.

Signing a promising young striker isn't going to relegate us!

we've had it for so long, dont think that'll change with one or two nonleague players coming in

one or two league 2 players with ronnie moore almost got us relegated so be warned. I actually think this chap looks like a decent prospect I just don't want anymore risk players!

The trick is surely to get the type of players who can do a job in a system. Assuming PD has a plan of how he sees the team playing next season then the trick is in getting the parts that fit together. In our financial position that will include non league and probably young players out of Premier League/Championship clubs to supplement some experienced lads.

Its worked plenty of times at plenty of clubs of all shapes and sizes. It can bring success or at least we raise the value of some of the younger lads to our advantage.

At the end of the day, we haven't got enough money to sign a squad full of proven League One players. For clubs like Ourselves, you've just got to take risks on these young hungry players and trust the coaching staff to turn them into players capable in League One.

You only have to look at the likes of Warren Feeney to see that signing experienced players can be just as much of a risk.

There's no gamble at all giving a non league player an opportunity - the biggest mistake generally comes from the expectation of your average fan, who believes that after 3 months he should have "developed" and "producing the goods" - give 'em time chaps and chapesses.... give 'em time!!

Can see both arguments here but some people seem to be assuming we'll have 11 non-league players starting every game. As we've seen before it's worked to great success (Mickael-Smith, Austin, Fitz Hall etc.) but then again failed with players like Wes Wilkinson.

As long as we don't rely on these players and use them correctly i'm sure we'll be fine.

The thing that worries me with gambling on non-league players is Dave Penney almost got us relegated with league 2 players. I hope i'm wrong!

trouble with League 2 players its usually players that are already well known but havent quite cut the mustard and therfore find themselves in League 2 , However there are players stuck in non league that for whatever reason have never been noticed or have never believed that they could make it

one or two league 2 players with ronnie moore almost got us relegated so be warned. I actually think this chap looks like a decent prospect I just don't want anymore risk players!

there are some league 2 players who would make a difference... Donaldson & Le Fondre spring to mind. It's not about the league but the quality of the player and his ability to step up. Matt Smith is a gamble but one worth taking - we just need to find the money to bring in more proven players.

there are some league 2 players who would make a difference... Donaldson & Le Fondre spring to mind. It's not about the league but the quality of the player and his ability to step up. Matt Smith is a gamble but one worth taking - we just need to find the money to bring in more proven players.

what like Feeney !!!!!!!!!

Just as much gamble bringing these type of players in.

It is getting the right mix that's important and a couple of non league lads in the right places isn't such a big gamble.

At least if they need a rest etc they are far cheaper bench warmers than the Feeney's of this league.

Edited by losesome

It is getting the right mix that's important and a couple of non league lads in the right places isn't such a big gamble.

At least if they need a rest etc they are far cheaper bench warmers than the Feeney's of this league.

we didnt get Feeney from League 2 we got him from the Championship

just been on Feeneys Wiki page , the entry at the bottom made me laugh

Oldham Athletic

Following Cardiff's playoff final defeat, the club released five players, including Feeney.[10] On 14 July 2010, Feeney joined Football League One side Oldham Athletic.[11] He scored his first and only goal for the club in a FA Cup first round match on 6 November 2010 against Accrington Stanley.[12] You will note that to save further embarrassment to all concerned, Feeney's time with Oldham is not included in the career statistics below.

No - like Donaldson and Le Fondre !!!!!!! :wink:

I wonder if he has had an insurance payout, surely a pro club would have him in their team. He's still only 28.

he was pretty decent from what i remember, good enough to replace hazell.

but then again we thought feeney was decent. :/