One Signing needed this Summer - Leader?

Hi,

looking forward to next season and looking at comments that PD has said about giving youth a chance.

I say that is all good - lower wages, pick up a gem that we can sell on for lots of cash etc.

However the one key thing I think is missing from BP is a leader of the team - think (Tony Adams) - to shout and organise and get people moving when time and things are going bad i.e. second part of the last season.

The reason I mentioned Tony Adams is that I have a mate at work and he is a Arsenal fan and he says that they play great football but they can't win anything due to the fact that they have no leaders on the pitch - he's reckon's if they had players / leaders like Tony Adams, Viera, Winterburn etc. they would get back to winning trophies.

Now I may be talking complete rubbish but that is what I think is missing does anyone agree and have any views on this?

Edited by Stoney

I agree that we do need a leader on the pitch - and don't currently have one... but i'mnot convinced that it's the difference between failure and success, Sean Gregan was a leader on the pitch and in his time here we won nothing, but he almost singlehandedly kept us up. Duxbury was a leader on the pitch yet we won nothing but we had one good season (02/03)... You could say to some extent yes, it could bring success, but otherwise no, it's a team effort.

I agree that we do need a leader on the pitch - and don't currently have one... but i'mnot convinced that it's the difference between failure and success, Sean Gregan was a leader on the pitch and in his time here we won nothing, but he almost singlehandedly kept us up. Duxbury was a leader on the pitch yet we won nothing but we had one good season (02/03)... You could say to some extent yes, it could bring success, but otherwise no, it's a team effort.

Was he though?

I was always under the impression that he waqs given the captaincy because he was the best of a bad bunch, rather than an outstanding leader.

I agree with the original poster; we need a leader. Unfortunately, such a player costs....

Yeah. Not doubting Gregan's ability or that he was more of a leader than anyone else we had at the time, but my enduring memory of his leadership style was bellowing at Dean Brill for mistakes he (Gregan) had made. We've had better captains.

Yeah. Not doubting Gregan's ability or that he was more of a leader than anyone else we had at the time, but my enduring memory of his leadership style was bellowing at Dean Brill for mistakes he (Gregan) had made. We've had better captains.

Well he captained both Preston and West Brom to league titles.

The quintessential captain. :imnotworthy:

Ha! What a surprise that mention of the Greganator stirred you to respond!

I figured Joe and Crusoe were baiting me and I hate to disappoint. Besides, the defence of his honour is about the best excuse for patrolling OWTB at this time of year.

Gregan was a fantastic leader.

His only weakness was yelling at others when he'd made an error himself.

He was a fantastic man.

Perhaps if we knew what was being yelled we might be in a better position to comment/criticise? :tongue:

On the Gregan thing - IMO a fantastic Captain & great leader. You need players who are prepared to shout & ball, speak up and be vocal. We've missed it this season just passed.

As for us needing a leader or 2; for me; absolutely we do. If we're to rely on youngsters again; which it seems we will doing, then you simply have to supplement them with some seasoned veterans around them to help out.

It pains me to use it as an example; but the Red Scum's 'class of '92' did indeed include so many 'kids' In it - but it also had McClair, Robson, Bruce, Pallister, Irwin et all in & around the young up-starts to supplement them.

IMO we need 2 quality additions to our starting X1 in terms of experience, leadership and ability too. There's plenty out there on free's to choose from; it'll be convincing to come to us over others that'll be the problem.

we need big game players, it seemed last season that when the going got tough and we needed a result the tough went missing (Peterborough, Southampton, Carlisle)

This is one of the drawbacks of having a young squad, the lack of experience can cost you at times. A couple of experienced heads in this team could make a drastic improvement. Unfortunately it's difficult to find a line between 'experienced' and 'over the hill' at this level. For every Shez or Gregan, there's five Warren Feeneys...