We havnt heard anything but I sort of hope not. Dont get me wrong I like the lad and he puts 100% in every match!

Sadly he couldnt hit a cows arse with a banjo!

No thanks, he was great for 18 games but then was a big reason why we faded so badly in the final 20 odd games, that and the fact he failed to score in the last 22 games. Plenty of effort but you would have expected him to improve as he went along, but didn't heed Dickov's advice about getting into the box more, simply not good enough and i'd expect him to be released from Sunderland sooner rather than later. But I thank him for his efforts and his performance v Huddersfield and wish him well, but there's better out there

Id take him back if he was available and low cost, showed enough promise early in the season to show there is something to work with. Of course it might not pay off but we shouldnt give up on these young players so easily. Anyway he probably isnt available or cheap so my post is irrelevant.

Tonks should have been dropped earlier on the season he was tired and seemed to have lost confidence that he would score, Feeney is a better striker IMO. I hope Tonks doesn't come back because he just isn't good enough, besides if we sign Donaldson or whoever it is we are after I think our strikeforce will be complete.

In regards to our loan players from last season, I'd like to Lowe and M'Voto (obviously) come back, the other players we had here on loan just not good enough yet.

how many goals do we think Feeney would have scored having the same amount of game time?

Fair comment, I think Feeney if given a similar run would have come good. Yes he's been :censored: but how many times did he play 5, 4 or even 3 consecutive games? He changed the game at Accy when he came on and was unlucky not to earn us a replay. If he has a good pre-season I hope he feels he has a point to prove as long as Dicky and the fans give him a chance. He owes us big time and i'd like to give him the chance to earn his corn but I think he'll be offloaded….

Edited by oafcprozac

Tonks should have been dropped earlier on the season he was tired and seemed to have lost confidence that he would score, Feeney is a better striker IMO. I hope Tonks doesn't come back because he just isn't good enough, besides if we sign Donaldson or whoever it is we are after I think our strikeforce will be complete.

In regards to our loan players from last season, I'd like to Lowe and M'Voto (obviously) come back, the other players we had here on loan just not good enough yet.

Lowe's a decent shout, I think over a full season he'd be very good and has an eye for a goal and a decent set-piece, IF Stephens goes he may be an option. But I'd like us to sign another couple of midfielders if Stephens leaves as we've lost Jones too and are looking light in that area.

Wouldn't it be worth offering Tonks a short term contract, say 6 months or even a short term loan of maybe 3 months? I think his main problem last season was that he was simply burned out. Don't forget, the kid only just turned 21 last month and is still learning his trade. He worked his niagaras off for us and showed some great close skill, but a lot of naivity as well. Some intense pre-season training and you never know.

Might do Feeney some good too, starting with "that big netty thingy is where you stick the round bouncy thingy."

Tonks? Yeah, I'd give it a go to see if he's got any more to offer.

Wouldn't it be worth offering Tonks a short term contract, say 6 months or even a short term loan of maybe 3 months? I think his main problem last season was that he was simply burned out. Don't forget, the kid only just turned 21 last month and is still learning his trade. He worked his niagaras off for us and showed some great close skill, but a lot of naivity as well. Some intense pre-season training and you never know.

Might do Feeney some good too, starting with "that big netty thingy is where you stick the round bouncy thingy."

Tonks? Yeah, I'd give it a go to see if he's got any more to offer.

I agree with the burn out point, BUT I think that papers over the cracks, the lad failed to heed the advice of getting in there and unless he does that he'll forever be a poor man's Heskey. Stick him in a ball like they did with the striker in Mike Bassett. He's not a natural goalscorer and :censored:-shovellers are ten a penny in the lower leagues. Look at Carlo, Whitehall, Vernon, O'Grady etc...Tonk would be useful as an impact sub imo, I was mystified why PD persevered with him he should have been dropped for a spell, then had to earn his right to get back in. I can't see him making it at Sunderland.

Edited by oafcprozac

I agree with the burn out point, BUT I think that papers over the cracks, the lad failed to heed the advice of getting in there and unless he does that he'll forever be a poor man's Heskey. Stick him in a ball like they did with striker in Mike Bassett…..Tonk would be useful as an impact sub imo, I was mystified why PD persevered with him he should have been dropped for a spell, then had to earn his right to get back in. I can't see him making it at Sunderland.

Failing to heed advice is on the nail, I agree, but it may have a lot to do with lost confidence as he hadn't scored for a long time. Maybe it was in his head that, if he did get into the box, he'd mess it up anyway so hung back. Perhaps PD stuck with him because our other options never looked like scoring anyway and there was some raw potential in Tonks.

I agree that I don't think he'll make it at Sunderkand either but, with the right coaching and a boost in his confidence, he could possibly do some damage in this division.

If we get M'voto, the big fella may come back with him. Maybe not. We may never know.

how many goals do we think Feeney would have scored having the same amount of game time?

Certainly more.

It is no secret that a run in any side improves a players' performance, confidence and in turn goal ratio.

2, 3 games on the bounce before missing 3 or 4 is no good for any player, never mind an ageing, 31 year old, 3rd division striker, who is trying to combine his international career with club football, whilst recovering from niggling injuries.

Of course he'd have scored more given Tonks' game time.

Certainly more.

It is no secret that a run in any side improves a players' performance, confidence and in turn goal ratio.

2, 3 games on the bounce before missing 3 or 4 is no good for any player, never mind an ageing, 31 year old, 3rd division striker, who is trying to combine his international career with club football, whilst recovering from niggling injuries.

I would agree if Feeney even looked like scoring, but he doesn't, all he seems to do is give away free-kicks, and always is offside when he shouldn't be.

I would agree if Feeney even looked like scoring, but he doesn't, all he seems to do is give away free-kicks, and always is offside when he shouldn't be.

Again, playing regularly in a side, playing the same way every week and therefore increasing his match fitness would cut some of that out.

Erm, how can he slot into that system?

I'd have in the space between midfield and the lone striker feed off any knock-downs from goalkicks or long balls from the defence, he is a clever player who given a run in the team would easily adapt to the role creating chances, as that is what he has done in every team he has played for

I'd have in the space between midfield and the lone striker feed off any knock-downs from goalkicks or long balls from the defence, he is a clever player who given a run in the team would easily adapt to the role creating chances, as that is what he has done in every team he has played for

so stick him their instead of taylor, morais, bembo etc? No chance,

Certainly more.

Why should Feeney get the right to play regularly ahead of say Brooke or any of the other kids?

I've not seen any sign that Feeney is up to task and deserves a chance in the team. I didn't see him have a shot last season and I went to a fair few games. I'm not sure on what basis people are assuming that Feeney would score more goals than Tonk.

While Tonk's goalscoring form, rather than overall effort, dropped off towards the end of last season, at least he was willing to have a go, which at least gave us a chance of scoring.

Why should Feeney get the right to play regularly ahead of say Brooke or any of the other kids?

because he's the best of what we've currently got. ive only ever seen brooke do 2 good things (his walsall goal and a diving header against colchester or someone, and i didn't see his super-human displays in pre-season) and feeney at least keeps possession and looks interested.

plus feeney's a regular international, can't say that about brooke :wink:

because he's the best of what we've currently got. ive only ever seen brooke do 2 good things (his walsall goal and a diving header against colchester or someone, and i didn't see his super-human displays in pre-season) and feeney at least keeps possession and looks interested.

plus feeney's a regular international, can't say that about brooke :wink:

Hmmmm....I'm not so sure.

If his ranking among our strikers is measured on expectation against product, I'd say he's probably the worst we've got.....

Edited by JoeP