• Bembo-Leta
    • Brooke
    • Feeney
    • Reid
    • Smith
    • Gerrard
    • Janko Sweetleftootivic
    • Rodrigo findtheonionbag

It's a tuff call between Furball, Lee & Taylor.

Went for Lee in the end as he is the steadiest of the 3 and he was captain of United's 2nd string if I heard correctly. Furman would be on the receiving end of too many cards and Taylor, being a red-headed fiery git, would be too hot-headed and the armband would only give him the opportunity to argue with the ref even more!!!

I'm not sure any of the current squad strike me as being vocal, natural leaders.

We need to bring in an experienced Central Defender to replace Hazell, I would concentrate my search on a natural leader in this position, if we can find the right player and character bring him in and make him captain.

Come on , who voted for Feeney ? Tell the rest of the class...

Me :lol:

I was being flippant at first but then the more I thought about it there was method in my madness.................... :grin:

He is our most experienced player & I think Dickov should offer him the captaincy if he knocks N Ireland on the head.

He then plays more football for us & being captain should put a bit more effort in.

You know it makes sense. :unsure:

By the way, speak to any footballer and they'll tell you they've never given a toss who their captain is, makes no difference.

A peculiarly English obsession as illustrated with the national team.

Let's just get as many leaders as possible in the team, captain or otherwise.

By the way, speak to any footballer and they'll tell you they've never given a toss who their captain is, makes no difference.

A peculiarly English obsession as illustrated with the national team.

Let's just get as many leaders as possible in the team, captain or otherwise.

Agreed, but we dont have any. And I'm not convinced any of them could say "heads / tails" on demand either.

thats an option , although I still wouldnt mind using Stephens as bait for Mcdonald

Taylor, as I said this time last year (and he excelled briefly in the role on the odd occasion he wore the armband last season) it will be the making of him….

Taylor, as I said this time last year (and he excelled briefly in the role on the odd occasion he wore the armband last season) it will be the making of him….

Giving Taylor the armband would want to make him stay for atleast another season.

Lee a captain ? We need a leader, Lee is a quality player but for me wouldnt be a suitable captain.

United made him captain of the reserves at age 17, so Solksjaer must have seen something there bearing in mind the quality of the squad then.

The role of a captain is to lead, not shout his head off for 90 minutes. I'd go with Lee as he's the type of player to lead by example; he's consistent, keeps a cool head & doesn't rise to anything the opposition dish out.

You could shout at the young lads in the squad all you want, but think back to when you were 18/19/20...did you respect someone who bawled their head off or someone who went about their business professionally, never putting a foot wrong and, if needs be, putting an arm around you when you were struggling? The last part is an assumption on my part, but Lee seems responsible enough to help out the young 'uns like that.

My 2nd choice would be Taylor, to spur him on if nobody else as it did seems to give him an impetus to grab the game by the scruff of the neck when he had the armband last year.

The role of a captain is to lead, not shout his head off for 90 minutes. I'd go with Lee as he's the type of player to lead by example; he's consistent, keeps a cool head & doesn't rise to anything the opposition dish out.

You could shout at the young lads in the squad all you want, but think back to when you were 18/19/20...did you respect someone who bawled their head off or someone who went about their business professionally, never putting a foot wrong and, if needs be, putting an arm around you when you were struggling? The last part is an assumption on my part, but Lee seems responsible enough to help out the young 'uns like that.

My 2nd choice would be Taylor, to spur him on if nobody else as it did seems to give him an impetus to grab the game by the scruff of the neck when he had the armband last year.

But would you expect your captain to lead the lads, drag them through, Lee is a kind of player who comes and gets on with it. he is a fantastic player but his leadership quailties are not captain quialty.

But would you expect your captain to lead the lads, drag them through, Lee is a kind of player who comes and gets on with it. he is a fantastic player but his leadership quailties are not captain quialty.

Totally agree. Lee is far too quiet.

Agree that Lee is too quiet.

Its not about shouting/telling off the players but the captain needs to be able to motivate the lads when they're having an off day and you need to be vocal to do that.

Brill would have probably been in with a shout if he'd still been here!

unlike the one on here

waheyy , im here all week :wink:

Very good, we wouldn't have him any other way though :grin:

As for Mr K Lee & the captaincy... It would be great if he was a shouter as well, so he could lead by example & fear, but not many players are both. And who in this squad will shout and inspire & be a (virtually) guaranteed first teamer?

We have a very quiet team, which is nice as it matches the home crowd & satisfies my OCD tendencies :)