Tonk signs

This says to me they are giving him one year to prove himself . surely they will loan him out again ?

Hopefully not to us, I like Tonk for the effort but we need someone who can find the net and he isn't that type of player!

I'd well have him back, a year older, wiser and more importantly fitter. Got far too much game time last year and I think Dickov was wrong not giving him a rest at times. I thought he was class first third of the season, granted he riled me and others after that but I think that was as much the managment's fault as his.

Finishing at times was woeful as was his control at times but is age is the most importnat thing, potentially lethal in this division.

6 month loan would be ideal, see how it panned out

I'd well have him back, a year older, wiser and more importantly fitter. Got far too much game time last year and I think Dickov was wrong not giving him a rest at times. I thought he was class first third of the season, granted he riled me and others after that but I think that was as much the managment's fault as his.

Finishing at times was woeful as was his control at times but is age is the most importnat thing, potentially lethal in this division.

Can't argue with that, up until the end of February he was fine then fatigue kicked in and he was shot. I'd have him back until January definitely….and the rumour with him falling out with JYM is bollocks I reckon, they were still celebrating together into the new year...

Interesting situation this one.....

1. Sunderland obviously feel there is some potential - hence the new deal

2. Not first team material so need to loan him out

3. Need to choose a club where he will have the opportunity to confirm that potential

4. Would like to recover as big a slice of their outlay (12 months wages)as possible

5. His record as a goal scorer at Latics is poor - would seem to rule out achieving no 3.

6. Can't image our financial position would allow 4.

But then again, football's a funny old game.......

/\ What he said

If he is available and affordable I would have him back, obviously not as an answer to our goalscoring problems but as a viable option upfront. When he first arrived he was class, we would be stupid to not take up the chance to see if he can replicate that over a longer period. He is only young and should always be looking to improve with the right attitude. I would always take him over Feeney from what I have seen at Latics. But obviously if Feeney is here to stay we will have to give him a second chance too!