Milan. Restaurant

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What did I miss?

Wasn't a bad night, I wasn't drinking so i'm sure others had a very good night. The company was very good, Joe was on form as usual - so was Paul, nothing really revealed although Alan and Dickov spent a lot of the night comparing texts or emails on their Blackberries so I hope that's incoming player related.

Food was ok, I know some will rave about it but I've had better, particularly at other Trust do's, the pate was runny, the steak was very good and mine was cooked to perfection, (the wife's however needed a tampon! When I politely asked if it could be cooked a little bit longer the waiter was fine but when the owner brought it back got a snotty remark about "it does say medium rare on the menu" yes mate it did but that was still mooing) as were the accompaniments were cooked well too but the sauce was tasteless and bland, and the cheesecake had been left at room temperature too long and had wilted. Not being critical for the sake of it as you can't get a three course meal with entertainment etc for £25 these days. Thought the entertainer was good and the beverages very reasonable. Even Barry made a succint speech and actually got to the point for once!

A good night, worth the £50 for the company etc…. but the food did let it down imo, a shame as I was looking forward to trying a place that many have raved about. Next time go back to Alan's local, the food was superb and much more akin to holding such events. The 2007 Christmas do was a great night with Joe and Dermot Gallagher with Shez and the boys….would I contribute again to such a night? Yes, but not at Milan…nothing personal.

Auction -

Corney's Eyres Testimonial shirt went for £100 another guy offered £300, Dickov had originally won it but the guy agreed to let him wear it to training

Team Photo Place - £300

Signed Ball £80

BB ST and Extras £80

City Tickets £300 (linked into Corney shirt I believe)

Signed black away shirt (Signed twice as our tithead players thought it sensible to sign it in black!!!! Later in silver!) £100

Edited by oafcprozac

It's fantastic that Milan back latics, but would any one else agree that perhaps a slightly larger venue would be better ?

White Hart ? (granted that probably is SLIGHTLY larger capacity, but still.)

Any other suggestions ?

I remember the good old do's at the Clayton Arms, like the one when TTA first bought us. I championed a bookies in the Chaddy End to Danny Gazel, and low and behold it happened !! Say what you like about them, but they're open to ideas ;)

It's fantastic that Milan back latics, but would any one else agree that perhaps a slightly larger venue would be better ?

White Hart ? (granted that probably is SLIGHTLY larger capacity, but still.)

Any other suggestions ?

I remember the good old do's at the Clayton Arms, like the one when TTA first bought us. I championed a bookies in the Chaddy End to Danny Gazel, and low and behold it happened !! Say what you like about them, but they're open to ideas ;)

I agree that it was a little cramped, they do well with the space they have but it was a little uncomfortable and claustrophobic in there - especially having to move every two minutes when Dan and Rick made their frequent trips to the bar and the ensuing bog cycle :wink: Although I was a bit jealous as i'm being good at the moment and off the beer…

The executive suites at Latics are similarly cramped but easy enough to move about in and get to the bar etc...

Edited by oafcprozac

Wasn't a bad night, I wasn't drinking so i'm sure others had a very good night. The company was very good, Joe was on form as usual - so was Paul, nothing really revealed although Alan and Dickov spent a lot of the night comparing texts or emails on their Blackberries so I hope that's incoming player related.

Food was ok, I know some will rave about it but I've had better, particularly at other Trust do's, the pate was runny, the steak was very good and mine was cooked to perfection, (the wife's however needed a tampon! When I politely asked if it could be cooked a little bit longer the waiter was fine but when the owner brought it back got a snotty remark about "it does say medium rare on the menu" yes mate it did but that was still mooing) as were the accompaniments were cooked well too but the sauce was tasteless and bland, and the cheesecake had been left at room temperature too long and had wilted. Not being critical for the sake of it as you can't get a three course meal with entertainment etc for £25 these days. Thought the entertainer was good and the beverages very reasonable. Even Barry made a succint speech and actually got to the point for once!

A good night, worth the £50 for the company etc…. but the food did let it down imo, a shame as I was looking forward to trying a place that many have raved about. Next time go back to Alan's local, the food was superb and much more akin to holding such events. The 2007 Christmas do was a great night with Joe and Dermot Gallagher with Shez and the boys….would I contribute again to such a night? Yes, but not at Milan…nothing personal.

Auction -

Corney's Eyres Testimonial shirt went for £100 another guy offered £300, Dickov had originally won it but the guy agreed to let him wear it to training

Team Photo Place - £300

Signed Ball £80

BB ST and Extras £80

City Tickets £300 (linked into Corney shirt I believe)

Signed black away shirt (Signed twice as our tithead players thought it sensible to sign it in black!!!! Later in silver!) £100

City tickets??

PD was owed two so donated them

Why don't we just have done with it and move our ground to Stockport and call ourselves Citeh light?

Hanging onto the coat-tails of a club I'd really rather not associate with, it's getting a bit shameful.

Why don't we just have done with it and move our ground to Stockport and call ourselves Citeh light?

Hanging onto the coat-tails of a club I'd really rather not associate with, it's getting a bit shameful.

Greatest ever manger: Joe Royle – ex city

Record Goal scorer: Roger Palmer – ex city

Record Transfer Sold: Earl Barrett – ex city

Current Manager: Paul Dickov ex city

I’m afraid we will always be associated to them but if it means £300 in the coffers for Latics who cares about a couple of tickets

We've done well out of City both in trade and in competition. It doesn't amount to being shameful.

And there's already a team in Stockport.

Greatest ever manger: Joe Royle – ex city

Record Goal scorer: Roger Palmer – ex city

Record Transfer Sold: Earl Barrett – ex city

Current Manager: Paul Dickov ex city

I’m afraid we will always be associated to them but if it means £300 in the coffers for Latics who cares about a couple of tickets

I'm sure there's plenty of clubs we've taken players from, managers too.

Denis Irwin, Andy Richie and Paul Dickov all came from Leeds, should we start clinging to them as well? They're a bigger club than the Massives, at least.

It just all seems so desperate. I lost my patience with this Citeh nonsense when someone turned up in a laser blue shirt in the Chaddy last season. I think we should put a stop to it, promote the club for its own merits, rather than clinging to the 'glory' of some idiots from down the road.

My two penneth, anyway.

Denis Irwin, Andy Richie and Paul Dickov all came from Leeds, should we start clinging to them as well? They're a bigger club than the Massives, at least.

It just all seems so desperate. I lost my patience with this Citeh nonsense when someone turned up in a laser blue shirt in the Chaddy last season. I think we should put a stop to it, promote the club for its own merits, rather than clinging to the 'glory' of some idiots from down the road.

My two penneth, anyway.

It's two tickets that's made the club as much money as a season ticket does. No problems with that.

My two penneth, anyway.

how are we clinging on their glory??????

People just want to bitch about anything. It's put a few quid in latics so why complain?

It's something that genuinely bothers me though, I was mainly wondering if anyone else felt the same way!

I do wonder though if people would feel the same if we were offering tickets to watched United at an auction we'd feel the same? If we were promoting links with our ex-United players?

My two penneth, anyway.

What are the "club's own merits"?

how are we clinging on their glory??????

Selling tickets to one of their games at a Latics auction, talking about Dickov's Citeh links at every opportunity - stuff like that!

Just because they've got some dirty money doesn't change what their club represents. If it was United tickets we were selling at an auction I don't think our fans would accept it so readily.

What are the "club's own merits"?

Shouldn't the club be trying to promote itself as an integral part of Oldham's community? Talk about players who are from the local area, make young kids in Oldham think they too could play for the club. Things like that.

I don't see any reason why anything coming out of our club should mention any other club except ours? Obviously except for the team we play next.

Shouldn't the club be trying to promote itself as an integral part of Oldham's community? Talk about players who are from the local area, make young kids in Oldham think they too could play for the club. Things like that.

I don't see any reason why anything coming out of our club should mention any other club except ours? Obviously except for the team we play next.

A very narrow view.

Oldham do promote itself within the community. We have a Community Trust that promote the club to youngsters of the borough and offer free latics tickets to games.

I wouldn't have a problem if United tickets were sold in an auction.

Dickov has contacts at citeh and if we can use them to our advantage then I'm all for it. I actually think your view would only make the club worse.

Edited by Macca

It's very good to have contacts at other clubs etc. It raises money for the club and unless it's actually you who has bought why should you give a monkeys?

It's not like we are promoting city games in a math programme or anything it's a private auction.

The club does all of what you say, it would be an outrage if it didn't. It doesn't mean however, that we cannot cash in on market opportunities from our greater neighbours that can benefit Oldham Athletic, that's all.

I think people need to lay off seaside's back. He might be more sensitive than some but he's hardly offside.

So far we're talking about the opinion rather than the poster. It is a decent enough debate that I have a view, I don't think it has gone ad hominem - so until it does...

The club does all of what you say, it would be an outrage if it didn't. It doesn't mean however, that we cannot cash in on market opportunities from our greater neighbours that can benefit Oldham Athletic, that's all.

I can see that this club needs every penny it can get its hands on, obviously we'd all prefer it if we were self-sufficient but perhaps this is an inevitability considering how skint we are.

This isn't an attack against the club, or anyone who disagrees with me - I just don't feel we should be trying to promote links with 'bigger clubs' like Citeh, it drives me insane. Say we end up in the top flight in the near future (however unlikely that may seem, I can dream), we'd have got there with the help of a 'bigger team' and it just doesn't sit well with me.

I am probably more vitriolic about this because of my enormous dislike for the Massives but I wouldn't like it if we were promoting similar links with any other club.

Things like letting ST holders of other League One/Two clubs in for cheaper, I think Bury do this (perhaps) are things I like; things like MANCHESTER CITY LEGENDS DAY AT BOUNDARY PARK make me not want to come to Latics/tear off my own face.

And if Peter Reid and Paul Dickov are 'club legends' then I think it's time to have a long hard look at your club's expectations.