Milan. Restaurant

Shouldn't the club be trying to promote itself as an integral part of Oldham's community? Talk about players who are from the local area, make young kids in Oldham think they too could play for the club. Things like that.

I don't see any reason why anything coming out of our club should mention any other club except ours? Obviously except for the team we play next.

I know what you mean if it's any consolation.. I still (stupidly) see us as genuine rivals to City and United and dislike them for numerous reasons in equal measures..

The 'City family fun day' or whatever it was called was an extremely bitter piull to swallow.

Think we just need to accept we're tinpot

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very good to have contacts at other clubs etc. It raises money for the club and unless it's actually you who has bought why should you give a monkeys?

It's not like we are promoting city games in a math programme or anything it's a private auction.

This particular auction wasn't promoted as anything to do with the Massives; but the Plymouth home game was that 'clash of the legends' dross, when we played Bournemouth the Dickov/Bradbury thing was rolled out time and again, bringing everyone's favourite crap boxer Hatton to Boundary Park, going to his gym and brown-nosing him afterwards - things like that.

This particular auction wasn't promoted as anything to do with the Massives; but the Plymouth home game was that 'clash of the legends' dross, when we played Bournemouth the Dickov/Bradbury thing was rolled out time and again, bringing everyone's favourite crap boxer Hatton to Boundary Park, going to his gym and brown-nosing him afterwards - things like that.

You never thought it could of been a little bit of publicity for the club and not to promote anyone else?

I know what you mean if it's any consolation.. I still (stupidly) see us as genuine rivals to City and United and dislike them for numerous reasons in equal measures..

The 'City family fun day' or whatever it was called was an extremely bitter piull to swallow.

But the minute we accept that this situation we find ourselves in is permanent we might as well give up and ground share with Rochdale!

There's no reason we couldn't get back into the Premier League at some point, if we turn into some part-time plaything for the Massives fans to come to when their team aren't busy in the Inter-Toto then just shoot me now.

I can see that this club needs every penny it can get its hands on, obviously we'd all prefer it if we were self-sufficient but perhaps this is an inevitability considering how skint we are.

This isn't an attack against the club, or anyone who disagrees with me - I just don't feel we should be trying to promote links with 'bigger clubs' like Citeh, it drives me insane. Say we end up in the top flight in the near future (however unlikely that may seem, I can dream), we'd have got there with the help of a 'bigger team' and it just doesn't sit well with me.

I am probably more vitriolic about this because of my enormous dislike for the Massives but I wouldn't like it if we were promoting similar links with any other club.

Things like letting ST holders of other League One/Two clubs in for cheaper, I think Bury do this (perhaps) are things I like; things like MANCHESTER CITY LEGENDS DAY AT BOUNDARY PARK make me not want to come to Latics/tear off my own face.

And if Peter Reid and Paul Dickov are 'club legends' then I think it's time to have a long hard look at your club's expectations.

I have to agree, an eyebrow was raised when the Oldham Athletic commercial department released initiative of the MCFC Legends extravaganza. It seemed altogether sycophantic. Alternatively, regularly wheeling out Earl Barrett, Ricky Holden and so-on also has a limited appeal.

If these bigger clubs can help us by offering a loan player or two at a discount because of our connections, I don't think we're in a position to knock that opportunity back if it's favourable.

I have to agree, an eyebrow was raised when the Oldham Athletic commercial department* released initiative of the MCFC Legends extravaganza. It seemed altogether sycophantic. Alternatively, regularly wheeling out Earl Barrett, Ricky Holden and so-on also has a limited appeal.

If these bigger clubs can help us by offering a loan player or two at a discount because of our connections, I don't think we're in a position to knock that opportunity back if it's favourable.

pgtipsL_350x250.jpg

I have to agree, an eyebrow was raised when the Oldham Athletic commercial department released initiative of the MCFC Legends extravaganza. It seemed altogether sycophantic. Alternatively, regularly wheeling out Earl Barrett, Ricky Holden and so-on also has a limited appeal.

I agree about the loan thing, but there's no reason for us just to target the two Manchester clubs; we should be looking to every club in the North West and even over the Pennines. Shouldn't we be pushing our history of producing youngsters to these teams, try and let them use Boundary Park as a place for their players to get some excellent coaching and plenty of game time?

I don't know the answer, and don't claim to. I'm just fuming at this sodding link with Citeh. If we have to sell our souls to some other team why does it have to be them?

I agree about the loan thing, but there's no reason for us just to target the two Manchester clubs; we should be looking to every club in the North West and even over the Pennines. Shouldn't we be pushing our history of producing youngsters to these teams, try and let them use Boundary Park as a place for their players to get some excellent coaching and plenty of game time?

I don't know the answer, and don't claim to. I'm just fuming at this sodding link with Citeh. If we have to sell our souls to some other team why does it have to be them?

I understand your point of view.

I agree with seasider too, in a fashion. I really dislike Citeh with a passion. Where does it end? If, or probably when we end up as a part-time club, in non-league, do we be offering a season ticket for Rochdale as part of a raffle, yknow, to help us pay the ballboys or something? I'm on my arse, personally with money, but I still know where the line's drawn. After all, when we had the begging buckets out at Eastlands back in 2004, I seem to recall plenty of abusive Citeh fans having a right old chortle at our demise.

I couldn't care less whether our current manager, best manager, best striker, most expensive transfer or pie salesman of the year came from them horrible lot, it's completely irrelevant in us getting some tickets to raffle off. Dickov should have just given it to charity.

Yes, it might seem a bit old hat, but I'm quite happy feeling rather curmugeon about 'them lot'. And the fact that they're well wedged these days just adds to my feeling towards them. A bit like that chav that won the Lottery a few years ago (and then blew it).

It's clearly the City tickets that have sent you over the edge,the straw that broke the camels back.

I think that aspect is w wrong, PD donating two tickets hardly warrants your response IMHO.

I could not give two hoots about City or Utd, they just don't feature on my radar, but it is probably the same for them.

I cannot understand the hatred some people carry around with them, it really is not healthy.

But I do agree that the City Legends day was not great, but better to try something, they get slagged off for not trying anythign too

Luckily it was not a success, so cnanot see it being tried again any time soon.

Cannot see what you are getting so irate about though overall, a pair of tickets and a promotion that was 18 months ago is hardly hanging on the coat tales.

I disagree too he should have given them away, it's £300 he indirectly gets back to benefit his current team.

Talk about cutting your nose to spite your face, never look a gift horse in the mouth, there are untold numbers of phrases and saying that encapsulate this.

There are still people saying can I have my Wilf Mannion money back you know.....

I really couldn't give a flying fcuk TBH - some City tickets that were free to us have raised £300 for the club; so a good bit of business surely?

As for the bold - when was the last City player we had on loan? Croft under Talberk IIRC; and from united on loan? Cooper again under Talberk IIRC. So I'd hardly say we're only targeting the 2 manchester clubs?????

Last season alone we had 2 from Sunderland, 1 from Arsenal, 1 from Leeds, 1 from West Brom (shudders at Manton memory) & 1 from Blackburn....I nice spread.

I think we've always been viewed as a decent place to send youngsters on loan; and when you consider some of the other sides in our league; I dont think we have done / continue to do too badly from the loan system; from a wide variety of clubs.

Oldham Athletic have a commercial department?

I really couldn't give a flying fcuk TBH - some City tickets that were free to us have raised £300 for the club; so a good bit of business surely?

As for the bold - when was the last City player we had on loan? Croft under Talberk IIRC; and from united on loan? Cooper again under Talberk IIRC. So I'd hardly say we're only targeting the 2 manchester clubs?????

Last season alone we had 2 from Sunderland, 1 from Arsenal, 1 from Leeds, 1 from West Brom (shudders at Manton memory) & 1 from Blackburn....I nice spread.

I think we've always been viewed as a decent place to send youngsters on loan; and when you consider some of the other sides in our league; I dont think we have done / continue to do too badly from the loan system; from a wide variety of clubs.

Amos, mate.

Can I just clarify a point that seems to be overlooked?

All monies raised last night from the meal, raffle and auctions were to go into Trust Oldham's coffers, not Player Share's and not Oldham Athletic FC (2004) Ltd. Although I am in no doubt the club will benefit from the amount raised further down the line. Off top of my head I reckon I reckon £1500+ was raised from the meal, about a grand from the auction and another couple of hundred through the raffle so as a low estimate last night will have raised a good £2.5k, minus of course the cost of the food, room and artist….

It was made clear that the event last night was one to raise funds for Trust Oldham and not Player Share...

Can I just clarify a point that seems to be overlooked?

All monies raised last night from the meal, raffle and auctions were to go into Trust Oldham's coffers, not Player Share's and not Oldham Athletic FC (2004) Ltd. Although I am in no doubt the club will benefit from the amount raised further down the line. Off top of my head I reckon I reckon £1500+ was raised from the meal, about a grand from the auction and another couple of hundred through the raffle so as a low estimate last night will have raised a good £2.5k, minus of course the cost of the food, room and artist….

It was made clear that the event last night was one to raise funds for Trust Oldham and not Player Share...

I can confirm Prozac is correct. Last night event was solely for the trust coffers

Playershare is an idea from the trust and although has trust members on the commitee, it has it's own identity, account etc.

It does work hand in hand with the trust to use/abuse the contacts/knowledge it has to develop the scheme further to help out club with the product on the pitch only.