Will Rochdale ever be a 'proper' derby game?

The police obviously think its a big derby game; its plastic glasses in the rifle range on their advice!!

I hate plastic pint glasses too; boo!!!

Summit didn't open until 1pm today on 'Police Advice' and had signs up saying drinks would be served in plastic glasses - but everybody seemed to be drinking out of glasses.

Junction (Royton) had signs outside saying 'no football fans - regular customers only' and Bluebelle appeared shut ?

Edited by Yard Dog

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Summit didn't open until 1pm today on 'Police Advice' and had signs up saying drinks would be served in plastic glasses - but everybody seemed to be drinking out of glasses.

Junction (Royton) had signs outside saying 'no football fans - regular customers only' and Bluebelle appeared shut ?

Police taking the piss with overtime.

They came in a pub I was in and said to the landlord (whose house they'd called at twice this week as they'd had intelligence that there'd be trouble) that they couldn't find "them" anywhere.

Maybe "they" weren't out??

Police intelligence = oxymoron

Probably because a recent survey showed they were the cheapest club to get into/buy pies & programmes at in the league, and one of very few that you think it is reasonable.

NB. I must have been watching too much non-league football as I'm starting to look at value for goals and drinking in club houses with my savings, etc.

Where did I say it was reasonable, my day at latics today cost no more than that of an away fan. When I go to an away match I know its going to cost me in petrol and food plus ticket. These today only had to pay for the ticket?.

Very flat. Still can't help thinking that despite moving home fans out of Rochdale Rd to save on police and stewards costs, there were still more than usual so surely we could have been in there and made them earn their money. And improve the atmosphere.

From what i've gathered from those I know who support either club.

Dale like to call any oldham fans they know biffo's, but simply in a joking way for a bit of banter. Most arent arsed about Latics in the slightest which is why the majority of dale fans I know didnt go as they couldnt justify paying £23 in what the only ever describe as a "three sided :censored:hole". Most have saved there money for gigg lane instead.

Bury away for dale in a few weeks and it was interesting to note that the dale fans I know were mentioning that game over the one happening sooner with us. Even Halifax away back in the 90's and early 00's had more of an edge to it from a dale perspective with the guarenteed 2,500 descending on the shay en masse from the double decker buses laid on outside the town hall. Bury will always be 'dales rival, regardless of anything latics do in the next decade. Theres too much recent history between the two. Bury hate dale, dale hate bury. Those i've took to spotland in the past will tell for themselves that there is no ill feeling from dale fans when you mention you're an oldham fan.

Latics fans on the other hand are desperate for a rival and someone to hate (Wigan, Hudds, Blackpool, Tranmere) to name but a few over the years and 'dale simply seem to be the latest one. Cheering half time scores when they're losing and trying to big up the game.

The game at Spotland will have more of an atmosphere, feeling and passion about it simply because Latics fans hate dale, fsr more than dale hate Latics.

I do agree with the person who put about the likes of when burnley, preston and that used to come and the days in the paddock. Thats when there was a buzz about the place but since those days and being put as far from opposition fans as possible. how are you supposed to create a bit of banter and prevoke some kind of rivalry?

Edited by Rocky_Latic

From what i've gathered from those I know who support either club.

Dale like to call any oldham fans they know biffo's, but simply in a joking way for a bit of banter. Most arent arsed about Latics in the slightest which is why the majority of dale fans I know didnt go as they couldnt justify paying £23 in what the only ever describe as a "three sided :censored:hole". Most have saved there money for gigg lane instead.

Bury away for dale in a few weeks and it was interesting to note that the dale fans I know were mentioning that game over the one happening sooner with us. Even Halifax away back in the 90's and early 00's had more of an edge to it from a dale perspective with the guarenteed 2,500 descending on the shay en masse from the double decker buses laid on outside the town hall. Bury will always be 'dales rival, regardless of anything latics do in the next decade. Theres too much recent history between the two. Bury hate dale, dale hate bury. Those i've took to spotland in the past will tell for themselves that there is no ill feeling from dale fans when you mention you're an oldham fan.

Latics fans on the other hand are desperate for a rival and someone to hate (Wigan, Hudds, Blackpool, Tranmere) to name but a few over the years and 'dale simply seem to be the latest one. Cheering half time scores when they're losing and trying to big up the game.

The game at Spotland will have more of an atmosphere, feeling and passion about it simply because Latics fans hate dale, fsr more than dale hate Latics.

I do agree with the person who put about the likes of when burnley, preston and that used to come and the days in the paddock. Thats when there was a buzz about the place but since those days and being put as far from opposition fans as possible. how are you supposed to create a bit of banter and prevoke some kind of rivalry?

Regardless of who they hate more, this idea of regular massif travelling armies to Bury and Halifax are bull:censored:. And the 23 quid is a lame excuse.

Fact is, Dale wouldn't have taken many more to Bury than they did to us last Saturday.

The only excuse I will let them have is the 'all ticket' one. As for us and our 4k - no excuses.

Edited by Yard Dog