Will Rochdale ever be a 'proper' derby game?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rochdale has the same intesity of a game with Mossley or Ashton ie none. It was always perfectly acceptable for fans of both clubs to pop along for the odd game without any animosity - there has never been a history, tension or any real animosity. It's a bit like the Nottingham clubs in terms of relations. It might come over time if we stick around each other, but even last year the atmosphere was quite disappointing. It's just not like Bolton in the 1970s or even City in the 80s and 90s (one-siided rivalry though it was). Neither is it like Huddersfield. Their big derby rival has always been Leeds, but for me this has always been a match with edge and a degree of intensity which you need in a derby.

We might be next to each other, but it just doesn't have the feel of a derby.

i was unfortunately born in dogdale and still live and work in the hell-hole but have only ever supported latics.

believe me this has the potential to be a hugh derby and proper rivalry if given a chance and after all the :censored:e I have had to put up with since last years home game I for one hope we give them a serious beating tomorrow (or a jammy 1-0er) either way we have to win and this game certainly means something to me.

(I do however agree that generally speaking as something to look forward too 'away' derbies are much better than 'home' ones).

Thats a big turnout then? We just took day trippers.

There'll always be a few of those at the better attended away games, but I don't really agree with you 100%....we've played Dale a few times now at their's with the League Cup, Rose Bowls, abandoned game and rearranged games etc and took plenty every time.

Edited by Yard Dog

my dad goes watching dale when latics are away so for him, he likes to see both teams doing well. personally, i'm an oldham fan and when the teams play im only supporting one team but i do like to see dale do alright.

i wouldnt say there's a rivalry there just yet, and if there is its because people want there to be, not because both teams naturally hate each other (like manchester/liverpool/north london derbies)

saying that though, im missing the game tomorrow and im really annoyed because the crowd will be bigger and there should be more of a buzz. give it time, or a bad tempered game and there'll be a proper derby but it's just two local teams playing each other at the moment with an excuse to make a bit more noise than normal.

compared to the hudds home game, i'd want to win that more because theres the lancashire/yorkshire connection and they should be finishing higher up with their stadium and players so beating them seems more enjoyable

Edited by oafc-latics

what a load of bollocks this £23 excuse is

hasn't it been £20 plus for about 5 years in most areas of the ground??

NOTHING else has gone up as little in cost in this country over that time period

At what point do you make a stand? £23? £25? £50? £100?

Take your pick, but £23 is at least £8 overpriced for the :censored: we watch.

Biggest game of the season, until we play th at their place. When they beat us last season it was embarrassing. When they finished above us last season, it was embarrassing. We can start putting it right today.

Im not sure why they are bitching about the cost of the tickets, its not as though they have to spend any petrol money or coaches, on the grand scheme of it, its probably their cheapesst away match,

the simple fact is this. They are either our derby or we don't have a derby. They are the nearest club too us barring city and are at about our level playing wise imo which will bring a bit more spice this season. At the end of the day Rochdale have had to make do with bury and we've had to make do with trannies or hudds. Give it a few seasons and it'll be a proper derby.

Im not sure why they are bitching about the cost of the tickets, its not as though they have to spend any petrol money or coaches, on the grand scheme of it, its probably their cheapesst away match,

Probably because a recent survey showed they were the cheapest club to get into/buy pies & programmes at in the league, and one of very few that you think it is reasonable.

NB. I must have been watching too much non-league football as I'm starting to look at value for goals and drinking in club houses with my savings, etc.

what a load of bollocks this £23 excuse is

hasn't it been £20 plus for about 5 years in most areas of the ground??

NOTHING else has gone up as little in cost in this country over that time period

I'd moan if it was £23 evry game but would happily pay it for a derby in the new catergory structure (would understand if Dale catergorised matches the same way)... 1000 is piss poor, no doubt about that

They are hiding behind the £23 excuse. It's 4 or 5 miles away FFS! If you went to Chesterfield and it was £20, it would cost you a hell of a lot more than £3 to get there. The entrance price is only one factor in the cost of an away day. We would still have 3000 at there place if it was £23 no doubt.

Don't get me wrong. Rochdale are a small team and won't bring many. They don't have a shed load of fans due to being largely unsuccessful. In my opinion it means their current fans are bloody good fans who stick by their team through thick and thin. Don't really care how many are there. We don't have millions of fans and due to our recent history are every bit as loyal.

But, I won't pay ten quid for rice because the curry costs alot.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

Probably because a recent survey showed they were the cheapest club to get into/buy pies & programmes at in the league, and one of very few that you think it is reasonable.

NB. I must have been watching too much non-league football as I'm starting to look at value for goals and drinking in club houses with my savings, etc.

That's to stand if you want to sit down, which would be the fairer comparison. Our cat c games are cheaper. A Stevenage fan would pay 3 quid less at BP than Spotland.