Will Rochdale ever be a 'proper' derby game?

If dOgdale don't manage to fill the rocky it's time to rethink giving the full end to away fans. Can't beat a bit of fan banter, as long as it's not just 15 year old kids spreading their arms as wide as they can at each other....

And that banter happens best when fans are within earshot of each other.

Edited by BlueJazzer

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If dOgdale don't manage to fill the rocky it's time to rethink giving the full end to away fans. Can't beat a bit of fan banter, as long as it's not just 15 year old kids spreading their arms as wide as they can at each other....

No way that'll happen because of the extra policing costs.

And if it was on a Rochdale forum we wouldn't have cared.

You should feel honoured.

Think how the Rochdale fans must feel that you're treated as more of a derby than they are.

Yes you spud munchers have got better players than us and should on paper be playing in a seperate league but as long as you are just the otherside of the hill from us and in the same league we will continue to hold you in higher esteem than Rochdale down the road.

No slur on Rochdale just years of playing each other in close competitive games has given it more of an edge.

This for me /\

The Hudds "derby" carries way more weight for me.

That said, Sat still really matters, and the longer they stay in the same league as us; the more the rivalry will build IMO.

Hope the lads carry the confidence earned on Tuesday into the game and we take the 3 points.

We only give teams the full stand so we don't have to pay for extra police and stewards.

No one has come within 1,500 of selling it out yet when we have given it to them.

I don't think anyone in this division would. Even if Blue Peter badge winners got in free!

I'm not coming and it's at BP... I think you're being a little shortsighted in thinking it's only Dale who have dwindling support...

but he's not part of their dwindling suppport, he's a season ticket holder.

it says so in my post if you read it again. :grin:

Edited by HarryBosch

I wish I felt more animosity towards Dale but I've only ever been there 5 times, once to the Pizza Hut and the others to those Rose cup games and the 2 last season. I know nothing of the place or any Dale fans.

Looking forward to it on the basis of locality but I have no real dislike of them, only revel in the fact of how massif we are in comparison.

Tranmere and Udders are held in more disdain for me in this league but a few more years of us knocking about in the same divison will change that.

As a Dale fan I had been waiting for this fixture to happen for a long time and it was the first fixture I looked for after our promotion. But I have to say it has been a bit disappointing so far to be honest. I think it's down to a mixture of the fixture not happening for such a long time, all ticket games ruining any chance of our floating fans turning up and nothing really of note has happened so far. Us winning at your place last season will have annoyed you a bit but most of our fans still see the Bury games as more of a rivalry, but that only really took off in the past couple of years thanks to a few tasty fixtures towards the end of the season when we were both doing well. There needs to be a real controversial incident that really gets everyone annoyed to spice things up a bit.

I for one hope we both stick around the same division for a bit because as our nearest rivals it should be a cracking derby match.

Excellent blog. Agree with most of it.

For me Dale is one of the biggest games of the season but I understand a lot of fans don't get it. Dale have always been what we must be like in the eye's of City fans.

I know city have UTD etc...and we have Udders, Bolton, Blackburn etc..but this should be our biggest game of the season and hopefully one day in the future, it will be.

But for now they just simply don't have the support but if they carry on going like they are, hopefully one day they might.

I understand the cost of extra policing, etc leading to not sharing the Rochdale Rd end but then there will be extra police on duty anyway, so might as well use them and get moneys worth. Apart from the Millwall game when they could have segregated a bit better anyway, there is hardly anything much to steward or police really. Still miss being in Lockers. Sigh.

As a Dale fan I had been waiting for this fixture to happen for a long time and it was the first fixture I looked for after our promotion. But I have to say it has been a bit disappointing so far to be honest. I think it's down to a mixture of the fixture not happening for such a long time, all ticket games ruining any chance of our floating fans turning up and nothing really of note has happened so far. Us winning at your place last season will have annoyed you a bit but most of our fans still see the Bury games as more of a rivalry, but that only really took off in the past couple of years thanks to a few tasty fixtures towards the end of the season when we were both doing well. There needs to be a real controversial incident that really gets everyone annoyed to spice things up a bit.

I for one hope we both stick around the same division for a bit because as our nearest rivals it should be a cracking derby match.

Same here! Only I hope soon that it is in the division above. It is dull playing teams like Colchester or Gillingham at least when we play you there is a bit of local interest.

A United fan would judge them on their success.

I'm not doing.

You seem to be.

In my experience they'd say things like "they don't have many proper fans they don't have many proper fans as evidenced by last seasons pathetic away following" - as if the amount of fans makes any difference. Oldham arn't a real team are they? Who do you support in the premier league?

I personally take Wimbledon, Macclesfield, Chasetown* or whoever seriously. You might not, but when they beat us what happens then is it not serious and we didn't try?

*just examples

Edited by pukka

Home "Derby's" are sh1te since we got our three sided sh1t pit. I always remember being in the Lokkers paddock when local teams such as Burnley, Kn0b End, Hudds, City etc (all last 13years or so) came to BP and the atmosphere would be great.

Now, as Bunty said, the fans can't engage with each other, they can't hear the Chaddy, and they'll sing we got more fans that you (when they'll have 2,500-3,000 less) and dale, dale dale on repeat.

Away game are much better for getting the derby atmosphere, Rochdale away (Spesh the Tues night game) was one of the best build up atmosphere's i'd experienced for years, such a pity it got called off as the sat game was a bit more flatter.

Just think how much more excited you are heading over t'hills to Hudds rather than heading down to BP for the home fixture, Just a thought!!

I agree with this. I struggle to bring myself to get excited over a home game. I was more excited going to Scunny than I am for this fixture.

One day, Wigan scum will end up in our League and I think that's the nearest to a rivalry we'll ever have.

Some of them still care about us, believe it or not...

In my experience they'd say things like "they don't have many proper fans they don't have many proper fans as evidenced by last seasons pathetic away following" - as if the amount of fans makes any difference. Oldham arn't a real team are they? Who do you support in the premier league?

I personally take Wimbledon, Macclesfield, Chasetown* or whoever seriously. You might not, but when they beat us what happens then is it not serious and we didn't try?

*just examples

maybe "proper fans" was badly worded but don't you find it unusual & odd that any team would take so few fans to an away game 4 miles away, either early in the season like this or around Christmas like last year?

we probably took MORE away to Rochdale (twice) than we were getting at home at the time. they're bringing half what they get at home.

i find that odd.

and, as a few others have said, I'm not particularly excited about this, the home game but I'd be buzzing if it was away.

more for the laugh & piss up before & after the match than the game itself.

hundreds will go away that won't be there this Saturday.

doesn't seem to be the case with Rochdale.

To me its a massive derby. The reason we dont have any hype and excitement is that its not a big game to anybody else. if it was utd v city then obviously everyone throughout the world knows and it becomes a talking point.

I personally cant wait for this game! and then the Huddersfield game

Edited by no1laticsfan

maybe "proper fans" was badly worded but don't you find it unusual & odd that any team would take so few fans to an away game 4 miles away, either early in the season like this or around Christmas like last year?

we probably took MORE away to Rochdale (twice) than we were getting at home at the time. they're bringing half what they get at home.

i find that odd.

Thats a big turnout then? We just took day trippers.

To me its a massive derby. The reason we dont have any hype and excitement is that its not a big game to anybody else. if it was utd v city then obviously everyone throughout the world knows and it becomes a talking point.

If you look at United and City as an example then the rivalry has intensified massively in the last 2 years due to City catching up. If oursleves and Dale play each other over the next couple of years then this will help massively, the stand issue for me makes little difference as does if we are at home or away. We need a proper game a game with talking points and excitement that we can talk about at the end of this season and beyond.

We had a rivalry with Wigan in the early 0'ies due to us having the indian sign over wigan in 99-00 and then us both challenging for promotion in 02-03. Both games against Hudds last season felt like a rivalry due to us both at the time being up there so perhaps Latics and Dale this season battling against relegation may help that.