Goal poacher worth a look ?

I haven't seen this guy and it's only North West Counties level, but I see James McShane of Runcorn Town has hit 10 goals this season, which takes his goal scoring record to 98 goals in 99 starts.

Perhaps at 26 some may consider him too old, personally I never used this as a main criteria or else David Eyres at the same age in non league would have been ruled out.

Not much to lose though by Latics taking a look at him and trying him out in a reserve team game ?

James McShane profile

Edited by BP1960

I haven't seen this guy and it's only North West Counties level, but I see James McShane of Runcorn Town has hit 10 goals this season, which takes his goal scoring record to 98 goals in 99 starts.

Perhaps at 26 some may consider him too old, personally I never used this as a main criteria or else David Eyres at the same age in non league would have been ruled out.

Not much to lose though by Latics taking a look at him and trying him out in a reserve team game ?

James McShane profile

Has anyone other than Eyres ever emerged from non-league at a similar age?

Edited by Dave_Og

Maybe, maybe not, but would that be more an indication of a problem with perception in football? When you're past your early 20's (if that) you're deemed past it to break into the professional leagues, seems a ridiculous system. It's up there alongside our obsession with at grass roots level making every effort to teach 'big lads' how to play instead of working with those with a natural gift.....

He wasn't exactly 30 when he started, he was 25. Alright, they may not be as old, but Stuart Pearce and Ian Wright weren't spring chickens either.

I have utterly no problem with looking at older players, they may have turned to football late on after getting an education or som ething similar. I do wonder about both the ability required to score goals at a lower level and what I refer to as the 'Sheringham effect' where a goalscorers figures are due to a very good forward partner.

But, as BP says, there's no harm in looking at both him and who he is playing with as he's scoring a :censored: load.

I do feel that it will be a rare player who makes the grade at that age, their instincts as a forward will be all about how to take advantage of the players they are up against and a crap defender 7 divisions up will most likely make them look a dick. Still, no harm in giving someone a go

Eamonn O' Keefe was 26 when he went from Mossley to Everton and went on to become a full Republic of Ireland International.

Tony Book was even older at 29 when Manchester City signed him after being at Bath City for 10 years and he had a great career at top level afterwards.

Edited by BP1960

I do feel that it will be a rare player who makes the grade at that age, their instincts as a forward will be all about how to take advantage of the players they are up against and a crap defender 7 divisions up will most likely make them look a dick. Still, no harm in giving someone a go

It's hard to say without him getting a chance, I wonder though would Warren Feeney score a goal a game in the North West Counties League ? :wink:

Eamonn O' Keefe was 26 when he went from Mossley to Everton and went on to become a full Republic of Ireland International.

Tony Book was even older at 29 when Manchester City signed him after being at Bath City for 10 years and he had a great career at top level afterwards.

When was this?

When was this?

Eamonn O'Keefe signed for Everton in 1979 after 3 seasons with Mossley, I seem to remember he played full back for a while until finding success as a striker. He was one of the quickest players I have ever seen.

As for Tony Book Wikipedia says he entered the football league for the first time with Plymouth aged 30.

Not so much different in the lower football leagues Zorro, money was tight back then too.

It's not the money I'm thinking about. Even at 26, the guy has missed out on too much of the physical benefit of being a professional footballer.

Steve Morison? Left Stevenage in 2009 after they just missed out in the conference play-offs, so was around 26. Now in the prem for Norwich

That would be the Steve Morison I recommended to Latics just before Stevenage bought him for £5,000 :disappointed:

Edited by Dave_Og

That would be the Steve Morison I recommended to disappointed: atics just before Stevenage bought him for £5,000 :disappointed:

I found in football Dave its all about opinions, and you can't win them all, I was once told by an assistant manager at a top flight club that Chris Waddle when he was in non league would never make a professional footballer at any level.

However, there's always another uncut diamond out there who is just waiting for a chance.

Edited by BP1960

I found in football Dave its all about opinions, and you can't win them all, I was once told by an assistant manager at a top flight club that Chris Waddle when he was in non league would never make a professional footballer at any level.

However, there's always another uncut diamond out there who is just waiting for a chance.

You're right! - I've only ever recommended 2. The other was Danny Green bought by Charlton from D&R for £400k this summer...

We almost made it through this thread without Chris Waddle being mentioned; almost!! ;-)

As we've proved with signing Matt Smith this year & Dean Kelly lasy season; this management group aren't afraid to look to Non-League for players. Sure Paul Butler (scout one) is aware of all local non-league "talents"; whether he sees fit to fully reccommend them or not is; as you say BP, down to his view & opinions.

He / the management group have done well IMO in their 2 dips into what is a tricky & complicated process of taking players from non-league

James McShane profile

Chose Glossop v Runcorn this aft. over Stevenage, kept a close eye on their no. 10 McShane, held the ball well but was marked out of the game i thought by GNE centre back. On this showing i doubt he could make the step up, but i have been wrong before..GNE lost 1-0 Their no. 5 got the winner in a scrappy encounter.