Team in the near future

With the team in good form what back four would you play? would you recall diallo for clarke or keep it lee diamond mvoto clarke. Then in a few more weeks would you recall parker to the squad with simpson playing well and what about morais, also there is Furman. looks like Dickovs got some healthy competition :grin:

Simpson was extremely poor today - the pass to Kuqi for the goal apart, he was way off the pace. Morais back next week for me.

If he was anything like he was at Walsall then he himself doesn't need to have a good game to earn a place in the team, he played a big part in the team keeping its shape on Tuesday which is something that Morais doesn't. Granted Morais is more of a creative threat but with Taylor in the team and Kuqi and Reid hitting form we aren't that desperate for what Morais gives us.

I still think Morais' best place in this team in a front two but there's no way that he's displacing Kuqi or Reid at present.

First proper look i've had at simpson, he looks to me more like a player to put his foot on it in the middle than a wide man, he went on a couple of runs today that he clearly didnt have the legs for. Is he not up to fitness or is this him? He is clearly a good footballer by the way, but not a flying winger at the moment.

First proper look i've had at simpson, he looks to me more like a player to put his foot on it in the middle than a wide man, he went on a couple of runs today that he clearly didnt have the legs for. Is he not up to fitness or is this him? He is clearly a good footballer by the way, but not a flying winger at the moment.

I've only seen him for half a game. He looks like he's got a cross on him, but getting past defenders ... not so sure.

A Brentford post quoted on here commented on his lack of pace.

Still, if he can create chances he'll do for me.

Saw Robbie Simpson at Walsall and he looks a really good acquistion. He adds a bit of height (did he get the flick on for Kuqi's goal at Orient?) and gets his foot in, great sprint back and sliding tackle right in front of us at Walsall. I like him, early days yet of course, he's willing to get hold of the ball and has the confidence to take his time (as he did for the goal at the Bescot). We looked very competent at Walsall if lacking a bit of flair and that seems to have carried on yesterday.

I've been thinking about this for a while, but what do people think of this? 2 different sides, depending on playing home or away? Not just an odd change here & there, but a more controlled change of players depending on where we're playing.

For me, we lose too much shape defensively if Taylor and Morais play on the wings, and that becomes more apparent for away games. I like us to keep shape, be hard to beat and push for the type of 'hard fought' away win on our away trips. Exactly the type we have had already at Scunthorpe, Walsall and now Orient. Teams do it all the time to us at BP; yet we have in the past seemed to try to set-up exactly the same for both home & away games regardless.

At BP, as the home team, I want us to play an open; attack minded game; utilising what we do best - a high energy; high press game with good movement from the midfield & strikers.

With everyone fit & available, I'd be looking at something like this:

For home games; looking at getting players like Morais, Simpson and Taylor into the side, either as outright wingers or in a 4-3-3 formation.

For the away games; players like Mellor & Simpson come into the side on the flanks; but as midfielders playing on the flanks, not as wingers per say. and it’s a rigid 4-4-2 formation.

We've had good, no make that great, away results as I say above; playing the way I have talked about. Granted the starting X1's on those games were dictated by injury & suspensions, but it's worked - and as it has, I say keep going with it.

This is in no way as Morais, Taylor et all bashing post, far from it. Nor is it 'Mellor & Simpson are the new messiahs' one either. I just think that with the group he's slowly been able to put together; PD has an opportunity to pick players for the specific task, rather than square peg; round hole or continue to select a player based on what he 'might' be able to do.

Anyhow, thoughts?