Tonight - Latics 3 Crewe 1

Well pleased with that tonight, thought we eased off a bit after we got the first but stepped it up again towards the end of the first-half and probably should have gone in at least 2-0 up. Another good start to the half could have seen us get the all important second goal, instead we went to sleep and their lad scores a cracker. However, it was nice to see us go for the jugular, Adeyemi's screamer deserved a goal but the big man was on hand to bury the rebound. After that there was only going to be one winner and Scapuzzi capped a superb display with a fine third.

Gerrard - One great save in the first half, after that very little to do and certainly no chance with the goal

Lee - Touch let him down when in good positions on a number of occasions but decent enough both in defence and attack tonight

M'Voto - Never really tested, from a lightweight Crewe attack although the way the defence collectively switched off for the goal was a worry

Diamond - Similar to M'Voto and i'm sure Zola and Kee will give us much more to think about come Saturday

Black - a proper left-back, thought he had a good game and deserves his place back in there imo

Simpson - At the heart of everything good we did, could and should have had a hat-trick. Should have been man of the match

Furman - worked hard, passed well once he realised he didn't need to sit so deep

Adeyemi - Thought he was poor for the first half hour than came to the fore, was particularly effective in winning the ball back with his gangly tackling. Best game i've seen him have (apart from Dongs game)

Taylor - That's more like it Chris, a constant thorn in Crewe's side, rarely gave it away and worked harder than i've seen him for a while

Kuqi - I thought we'd pulled off a (Kuqi) coup when we signed him but never in my wildest dreams did I think he would score 10 in his first 14, and two real poachers efforts tonight.

Scapuzzi - Looks a helluva prospect, rarely wastes the ball a hand in the first and scored a cracking third. His probing passes along with Simpson ensured we were a threat all night. He's the reason Simpson doesn't get my MOM award. He does can't wait to see more of him on Saturday.

All in all a good night's work and although i'm in no doubt that Burton will be a much tougher game, there's now a chance to build some momentum and our strikers to fill their boots against more League Two opposition. I just hope Bradford nick the win at Sheff U because i'd fancy us against anybody else!

Edited by oafcprozac

Well pleased with that tonight, thought we eased off a bit after we got the first but stepped it up again towards the end of the first-half and probably should have gone in at least 2-0 up. Another good start to the half could have seen us get the all important second goal, instead we went to sleep and their lad scores a cracker. However, it was nice to see us go for the jugular, Adeyemi's screamer deserved a goal but the big man was on hand to bury the rebound. After that there was only going to be one winner and Scapuzzi capped a superb display with a fine third.

Gerrard - One great save in the first half, after that very little to do and certainly no chance with the goal

Lee - Touch let him down when in good positions on a number of occasions but decent enough both in defence and attack tonight

M'Voto - Never really tested, from a lightweight Crewe attack although the way the defence collectively switched off for the goal was a worry

Diamond - Similar to M'Voto and i'm sure Zoal and Kee will give us much more to think about come Saturday

Black - a proper left-back, thought he had a good game and deserves his place back in there imo

Simpson - At the heart of everything good we did, could and should have had a hat-trick. Should have been man of the match

Furman - worked hard, passed well once he realised he didn't need to sit so deep

Adeyemi - Though he was poor for the first half hour than came to the fore, was particularly effective in winning the ball back with his gangly tackling. Best game i've seen him have (apart from Dongs game)

Taylor - That's more like it Chris, a constant thorn in Crewe's side, rarely gave it away and worked harder than i've seen him for a while

Kuqi - I thought we'd pilled off a (Kuqi) coup when we signed him but never in my wildest dreams did I think he would score 10 in his first 14, and two real poachers efforts tonight.

Scapuzzi - Looks a helluva prospect, rarely wastes the ball a hand in the first and scored a cracking third. His probing passes along with Simpson ensured we were a threat all night. He's the reason Simpson doesn't get my MOM award. He does can't wait to see more of him on Saturday.

All in all a good night's work and although i'm in no doubt that Burton will be a much tougher game, there's now a chance to build some momentum and our strikers to fill their boots against more League Two opposition. I just hope Bradford nick the win at Sheff U because i'd fancy us against anybody else!

The lad who scored for Crewe was Nick Powell, only 17 and looks a star of the future (keep an eye on him PD).

Good all round performance tonight.

There goal was virtually identical to the Daggers goal last season.

Row Z next time you put it out for a throw please Jean.

Other than that, job done, some nice football played and could possibly have banged in half a dozen if we'd really gone for it.

Well done to Dickov for putting a decent team out. I thought Morais looked up for it when he came on too.

Kuqi just has the knack of knowing where to be.

The lad who scored for Crewe was Nick Powell, only 17 and looks a star of the future (keep an eye on him PD).

Good all round performance tonight.

Yes, defo a great looking prospect, especially at that age. Won't be too long before he's on his way to a bigger club.

Very enjoyable game tonight, great attacking and some nice goals. Always seem to be decent games in this competition.

Diamond - Similar to M'Voto and i'm sure Zola and Kee will give us much more to think about come Saturday

Adeyemi - Thought he was poor for the first half hour than came to the fore, was particularly effective in winning the ball back with his gangly tackling. Best game i've seen him have (apart from Dongs game)

Kuqi - I thought we'd pilled off a (Kuqi) coup when we signed him but never in my wildest dreams did I think he would score 10 in his first 14, and two real poachers efforts tonight.

bradford are through after winning 6-5 on pens

Thought we played well tonight. It's easy saying it's cos we were against a lower team but I got the impression they were up for the fight.

Gerrard did well and didn't have much chance with the goal. I wanna see more of him though, he's my childhood hero.lol.

M'voto I felt was at fault for the play up to the goal. Just put it out slowly and then walked back into position. Other than that looks like he's booked up abit.

Diamond I really do like. Seems to have time rather than just booting it although does play a little too much long ball.

Lee should of done better with his two goal opportunitys but did well once again

Black did ok. Felt he is abit rusty but what can we expect. A few more games and I'm sure he will be back to 100%

Furman played well, some good passes and keeps the ball well. Another good game

Adayemi played well for me, a little bit slow off the mark but was strong and doesnt give up.

Taylor, I'd of dropped him at half time. Just to let him know that he isn't above the rest and is capable of being dropped. He seems to of lost the ability to take on players and get into a goal scoring position although came out second half and played well

Scapuzzi, really like this guy AS MOST OF YOU WILL OF ALREADY READ.lol. Seems to have bags of time when on the ball, plays great passes, brilliant at shooting.

Kuqi, 100% awesome as ever. Never gives up. Puts belief into his team mates.

Simpson, played brilliantly, great at keeping the ball, taking players on, passing and great crosses. Some really nice shots too but seems to scuff a few too.

Nice to see Morais have a chance in the second half too. Nearly scored and also created. Mancini doesn't look upto much but he was only on 5-10 mins so can't really judge. Smith had a few chances but nothing too easy.played well

Will City let Scapuzzi play on saturday though? Huddersfield have already said Clarke & Simpson are unable to play for us in the FA Cup.

Good performance tonight, Scapuzzi looks class, walked through their defence once or twice, rarely lost the ball, and has a decent shot on him. However i felt in the first half, he cut inside a bit to often, and didn't utilise the attacking Lee who was overlapping alot. Also felt Black could overlap a bit more than he does aswell. Morais looked good when he came on, and is in for a chance to start on Saturday.

Will City let Scapuzzi play on saturday though? Huddersfield have already said Clarke & Simpson are unable to play for us in the FA Cup.

Unlikely. As I see it, City have chosen to loan him out for a couple of months so he can get experience and sharpness for their own FA Cup run. Given that he'd played for them so recently before arriving at BP, it's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Adeyemi MOM for me , worked nonstop , unlucky not to score.

Kuqi poacher extroadinaire for his 2 goals.

Simpson excellent again ....apart from his shooting.

Scarpuzzi is clearly a talented young man , his goal was very classy.

25 shots in a game , most unlike us.

Will City let Scapuzzi play on saturday though? Huddersfield have already said Clarke & Simpson are unable to play for us in the FA Cup. Good performance tonight, Scapuzzi looks class, walked through their defence once or twice, rarely lost the ball, and has a decent shot on him. However i felt in the first half, he cut inside a bit to often, and didn't utilise the attacking Lee who was overlapping alot. Also felt Black could overlap a bit more than he does aswell. Morais looked good when he came on, and is in for a chance to start on Saturday.

If that's the case Robbie Simpson will be a very big miss on Saturday! Thought he was excellent tonight.....AGAIN!

Well thats good news then because if our boys plays like they did tonight against Burton, they've got no chance of beating us. The players tonight seemed to have a motive to get to Wembley (now only 3 games away) but on Saturday they should be given a financial objective by Corney with getting us to the second round then possibly drawing a big team in the third.

GavinBrowne77 Gavin Browne

Latics have all loanees available for FA Cup on Saturday - apart from Nathan Clarke

That was from speaking to Dickov after the game.

Hope that's right. It could also explain why Clarke was left out tonight in order to give Diamond and Mvoto a run out together before Saturday.....

Good performance tonight, Scapuzzi looks class, walked through their defence once or twice, rarely lost the ball, and has a decent shot on him. However i felt in the first half, he cut inside a bit to often, and didn't utilise the attacking Lee who was overlapping alot. Also felt Black could overlap a bit more than he does aswell. Morais looked good when he came on, and is in for a chance to start on Saturday.

Against Wolves Scapuzzi spent most of his time on the left and his goal last night came from that area, looks like he is on the right to accommodate Chris Taylor.