John Terry

How this man remains the captain of our nation is completely beyond me

Whilst I agree with you who else would you pick?

Gerrard- was up on assault charges not that long ago and was seemingly lucky to get away with it

Cole- dirty pictures, and a string of other misdemeanours

Ferdinand- wouldn't get in my team (and possibly the squad) and was banned for considerably longer than 8 games for missing a drugs test

Lampard- doesn't make the team that regularly

Barry- ditto

Rooney- After his performance against Macedonia- don't think so

The rest of the squad haven't been in the squad that long, have no experience of being captain or aren't guaranteed to make the team. This entire debate sums up what is wrong with football at the top level, none of our genuinely good players are captain material or are experienced enough, however, a bright spark is on the horizon as a lot of the generation coming through Jones, Walcott, Wilshere etc. look like they might be.

At the moment John Terry wouldn't be England captain in my team for a much more vital reason than being accused of racist abuse- he wouldn't be in the team. Part of the problem is whilst the CPS are pressing charges it might be a while before it makes court and the FA can't be seen to be punishing him in the meantime, as it might be seen to negatively effect the court case. If the courts find him guilty then he will be done for, and even then if the courts don't find him guilty and the FA do (as they require less substantial proof) he won't be England captain anymore.

Gerrard- was up on assault charges not that long ago and was seemingly lucky to get away with it

Ferdinand- wouldn't get in my team (and possibly the squad) and was banned for considerably longer than 8 games for missing a drugs test

Barry- ditto

The rest of the squad haven't been in the squad that long, have no experience of being captain or aren't guaranteed to make the team. This entire debate sums up what is wrong with football at the top level, none of our genuinely good players are captain material or are experienced enough, however, a bright spark is on the horizon as a lot of the generation coming through Jones, Walcott, Wilshere etc. look like they might be.

At the moment John Terry wouldn't be England captain in my team for a much more vital reason than being accused of racist abuse- he wouldn't be in the team. Part of the problem is whilst the CPS are pressing charges it might be a while before it makes court and the FA can't be seen to be punishing him in the meantime, as it might be seen to negatively effect the court case. If the courts find him guilty then he will be done for, and even then if the courts don't find him guilty and the FA do (as they require less substantial proof) he won't be England captain anymore.

Good post

I don't really care about our National side anymore; but that doesn't mean I don't have opinions on it (!!! - )

For me it's the same old :censored:e that gets banded about by every manager whenever they've come in - only players in form will be selected; it doesn't matter what side you're from; if you're playing well you're in, I won't pick the same old faces just because, no-one is guaranteed a place on reputation alone etc.

Then - what happens. The same old, same old story. Same bunch of underachieving; over-hyped players get picked game after game; tournament after tournament regardless of how well or not they play.

On ability and form, Terry & Ferdinand shouldn't have been playing for England for the last 2+ years or so IMO - yet who continues to be the 1st choice preferred partnership - those 2. Cahill has only been a stop-gap whilst Ferdinand has been out injured.

Terry wouldn't be my captain - as he wouldn't be in my side (that and the man is scum; but that's another story).

We might as well go the whole hog and stick David Artell in at CB, Josh Low on the wing and Rene Howe up front. It won't matter, we have a sub-standard group of English Premier League "stars" that in no way will ever 'produce' in a major tournament, so we might as well have some players in there who can at least bite a German player on the ankle, nutmeg a Slovakian & then fall over or who can belly-bounce over & then sit on a Ukrainian. At least that would be worth watching….

With Terry in the team & as Captain too - it only compounds how far behind the rest we are. He wouldn't catch the Spanish or German side on ability, let alone on disciplinary reason; yet he's a shoe-in for us. Speaks volumes.

Back OT, I expect him to get off. He always seems to do so no reason to expect he won't again with this…..

Terry evidently isn't a bad player. In fact, he's a bloody good one. If he was at Bolton or somewhere unfashionable then there'd be a load of people crying out that he wasn't playing for England because he's not playing for a top club, he's been class for years etc.

The reason new managers pick the same players is because they are our best players. By and large they are then signed/already signed by the top clubs because they are our best players. And when you're at the top people will try and shoot you down.

I'm not saying he's not guilty, he may be. He may not. Innocent until proven guilty and all that. But he's a quality player. And that goes for Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney et al.

Terry evidently isn't a bad player. In fact, he's a bloody good one. If he was at Bolton or somewhere unfashionable then there'd be a load of people crying out that he wasn't playing for England because he's not playing for a top club, he's been class for years etc.

The reason new managers pick the same players is because they are our best players. By and large they are then signed/already signed by the top clubs because they are our best players. And when you're at the top people will try and shoot you down.

I'm not saying he's not guilty, he may be. He may not. Innocent until proven guilty and all that. But he's a quality player. And that goes for Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney et al.

The thing is I don't think he should be in the England team. Jagielka and Lescott proved in the win against Spain that we can easily cope without him. As was shown at the world cup aswell where he got ripped apart by the Germans we can't rely on him in major tournaments his lack of pace has been exposed on many times this season already he's good but he's dispensible.

It's borderline whether he should be in the first 11. The same can be said for many of the old guard.

Euro 2012 is a competition we can't expect to win. We're a side in transition, and if we stick too much to the players who have failed us in the past we won't be giving those new players the experience they need to build up to a successful World Cup 2014 campaign.

So regardless of racism allegations etc, I think now is the time to leave him out for good. His best England moment - probably the dive on the ground against Slovakia (?) in the last World Cup group game when we scraped a 1-0 win to qualify for the last 16. Brave. Committed to the cause. But in the end a failure. And no longer good enough.

Not sure who is captain material from what's left over, but if we end up with a 22 year old growing in to the role aheead of 2014, great. Wilshere might be that man but I don't knoww.

The thing is I don't think he should be in the England team. Jagielka and Lescott proved in the win against Spain that we can easily cope without him. As was shown at the world cup aswell where he got ripped apart by the Germans we can't rely on him in major tournaments his lack of pace has been exposed on many times this season already he's good but he's dispensible.

Seriously, Jagielka over Terry? My arse.

Barry- ditto

Parker? Now a regular in the side..

Hart?

For Terry, if he does get a guilty verdict, then no doubt the FA will come out and say he'll already have faced punishment. Suarez convicted, but with 2 mitigating factors in cultural understandment and provacation after Evra also insulted/abused him, so Terry should be looking at more than an 8 game ban, but doubt that will happen. Wonder when FA will punish Evra for also insulting/abusing Suarez?