Left Back

Can somebody please tell PD to sort this left back situation out and quickly.

We are playing the best right back in the league at LB and losing his attacking potential .

Instead of having a problem at LB we are creating a problem at both positions.

Why not play either Adeyemi or Parker at LB at leave Lee at RB.

I couldn't see who was on the bench last night but somebody told me both Black & Mellor were on the bench.

PD - please get a left footed FB in quickly on loan if need be as it is totally unbalancing the side.

Edited by losesome

Can somebody please tell PD to sort this left back situation out and quickly.

We are playing the best right back in the league at LB and losing his attacking potential .

Instead of having a problem at LB we are creating a problem at both positions.

Why not play either Adeyemi or Parker at LB at leave Lee at RB.

I couldn't see who was on the bench last night but somebody told me both Black & Mellor were on the bench.

PD - please get a left footed FB in quickly on loan if need be as it is totally unbalancing the side.

I said exactly this on the 'new striker required' thread.

Lee is wasted at LB and playing Adeyemi at RB limits our midfield options, particularly when we have key injuries to players like Furman.

It's quite clear PD does not rate Black any more with playing others out of position instead at left back. So he's gone in the summer. Diallo we'll never know cos he's always injured so he too will be gone. Mellor again for me at left back is out of position and once more PD now seems against him being there. So yes in this window instead of bringing Clarke back (whom I would have) lets get a proper left back into the club. Loan with a view to perm preferrably. Tarky showed last night as back up he is more than adequate in the centre.

Edited by Lags

Is it just me that doesn't have a problem with Black at left back? The kid has only turned 21, any decent left back at 21 is an exception, it took Lee well over a season to become the player he is today, Black has had nowhere near the same run of games that Lee was afforded.

Yes he'll get rinsed occasionally but that is where the manager has to yell at the midfielder to provide cover, he did it for Mellor, he should do it for Black, we're only playing 3rd division teams, he's unlikely to face Messi.

If Black is doing something wrong in training or elsewhere that Dickov is unhappy with then he is paid to sort that out, whilst Black is taking a wage from the club and we have an absence of left footed players at the back then he should be played. He isn't going to get any better sitting in the stands.

All this "other teams target him" why have I never seen a latics team "target" an opposition full back, what is this mysterious tactical insight that other teams seem to posses that we don't?.

It's quite clear PD does not rate Black any more with playing others out of position instead at left back. So he's gone in the summer. Diallo we'll never know cos he's always injured so he too will be gone. Mellor again for me at left back is out of position and once more PD now seems against him being there. So yes in this window instead of bringing Clarke back (whom I would have) lets get a proper left back into the club. Loan with a view to perm preferrably. Tarky showed last night as back up he is more than adequate in the centre.

Whether he rates him or not the fact is that Black is probably the best option we have at LB with Lee at RB.

PD has to do what is best for the team and having a left footed LB who he doesn't rate is far better than the options he has taken so far.

If that is genuinely the case then i am afraid it is poor management !!!

Is it just me that doesn't have a problem with Black at left back? The kid has only turned 21, any decent left back at 21 is an exception, it took Lee well over a season to become the player he is today, Black has had nowhere near the same run of games that Lee was afforded.

Yes he'll get rinsed occasionally but that is where the manager has to yell at the midfielder to provide cover, he did it for Mellor, he should do it for Black, we're only playing 3rd division teams, he's unlikely to face Messi.

If Black is doing something wrong in training or elsewhere that Dickov is unhappy with then he is paid to sort that out, whilst Black is taking a wage from the club and we have an absence of left footed players at the back then he should be played. He isn't going to get any better sitting in the stands.

All this "other teams target him" why have I never seen a latics team "target" an opposition full back, what is this mysterious tactical insight that other teams seem to posses that we don't?.

I am not saying PD is right. I am just calling it the way it looks. However PD is the manager and if the manager doesn't rate a player then he's out. Simple.

I am not saying PD is right. I am just calling it the way it looks. However PD is the manager and if the manager doesn't rate a player then he's out. Simple.

Don't disagree there, I wasn't picking up on your post, I'd been trying to reply for a while but my boss was hovering. Playing Mellor at LB when Black was fit was a pretty big sign that Dickov wasn't convinced by Black.

Don't disagree there, I wasn't picking up on your post, I'd been trying to reply for a while but my boss was hovering. Playing Mellor at LB when Black was fit was a pretty big sign that Dickov wasn't convinced by Black.

Either Black or Mellor at LB are better than the options that PD is currently playing.

Whether a manager doesn't rate a player or not , IF they are leaving them out because they don't rate them , but then the team is weakened by the alternatives then i am afraid that's poor management.

Either Black or Mellor at LB are better than the options that PD is currently playing.

Whether a manager doesn't rate a player or not , IF they are leaving them out because they don't rate them , but then the team is weakened by the alternatives then i am afraid that's poor management.

Surely that's the whole point. If the manager doesn't rate a player in a certain position (the player's position) and plays alternatives, he believes that's better! how is that poor management?

It's a shame about Diallo's injury problems as I feel he was the solution.

Since Black didn't play at Anfield , it doesn't look like the manager particularly rates him , he mus have been gutted to miss that one.

I would play him , he is no superstar but he is a left back .

Lee is a pretty good right back , but he is no Dennis Irwin ,in other words just as comfortable on either flank.

Parker is doing his best , but he is a forward ....put Black back in imo, mind he didn't play at Anfield or last night , hardly flavour of the month is he ?

First of all I was never Blacks biggest fan at the start but he's grown on me as a young left back. Lee is a great defender but his right back skills are wasted on the opposite side. I've heard rumours at recent games (no good sources) that Black was caught drinking in Oldham the night before the Liverpool game and that's why he's been left out. If its true then missing the Liverpool game was a good enough punishment.

I think Black's been injured, so his place on the bench rather than in the starting line up may be linked to that.

If he's fit he's the best we've got there so he should be playing.

But I think a better player in that position is needed longer term. Could be Diallo. Could be someone else. Could be an improved Paul Black - if he's got it in him.

Black should be playing on Saturday,Lee is wasted at left back as he is simply not as affective going forward.The side looks unbalanced hence losing to a team that is bottom of the league largely cos we have to many players playing out of position.

Black should be playing on Saturday,Lee is wasted at left back as he is simply not as affective going forward.The side looks unbalanced hence losing to a team that is bottom of the league largely cos we have to many players playing out of position.

Looks like Lee at LB again tomorrow according to the Chron! Square feckin pegs!

Looks like Lee at LB again tomorrow according to the Chron! Square feckin pegs!

How about Winchester at right back then,still don't understand neither Mellor or Black being left out.Looks like Diallo out for the forseeable too.

All these coaching courses & badges they attend nowadays .....& then we keep playing a top quality right back at left back & a winger at left back..... staggering , truly staggering.

Don't tell me every team playing us haven't got wind of this nonsense.

I of course ment winger playing at right back.

All these coaching courses & badges they attend nowadays .....& then we keep playing a top quality right back at left back & a winger at left back..... staggering , truly staggering.

Don't tell me every team playing us haven't got wind of this nonsense.

I of course ment winger playing at right back.

Don't you mean striker at right back?

How about Winchester at right back then,still don't understand neither Mellor or Black being left out.Looks like Diallo out for the forseeable too.

How about Lee at RB, you know, in the position he's made his own! Christ, we could even play Taylor at LB (hes done so a few times previously) if Dickov is so frigging determined he won't play Black or Mellor there!

I dont understand why some slate Black so much. IMO he is a pretty decent LB for a medicore league side - which is exactly what we are im afraid.

I hope his recent absence is down the injury and him not being 100% fit. If its a sign that PD has finally felt he isnt upto it; im concerned. Lee isnt a left back, Parker isnt a right back. Adeyemi has surprisingly done well there at RB but again is square pegs round holes. We currentky look unbalanced and the switches have unsettled what was a relatively stable team

Black at LB and Lee at RB please PD - stop messing around with something that wasnt broken in the 1st place

I dont understand why some slate Black so much. IMO he is a pretty decent LB for a medicore league side - which is exactly what we are im afraid.

I hope his recent absence is down the injury and him not being 100% fit. If its a sign that PD has finally felt he isnt upto it; im concerned. Lee isnt a left back, Parker isnt a right back. Adeyemi has surprisingly done well there at RB but again is square pegs round holes. We currentky look unbalanced and the switches have unsettled what was a relatively stable team

Black at LB and Lee at RB please PD - stop messing around with something that wasnt broken in the 1st place

Agree mate,remember when Shez was gaffer and I think we were top,Lomax was full back and doing a steady job,he brought Jones in who was the first of many loans that disrupted a decent side.Can't understand it.Dropping Black for Parker at full back just doesn't make sense.

Lee has been player of the season at left back, and hid time with us playing there when PD switched him over during a game when our lb (can't remember who it was) was being torn apart. Lee dealt with him.

lee was switched to left back for the anfield game to combat bellamy down the wing....and adeyemi at right back because he was more physical....

you only have to go back to chesterfield at home to see lee is best on the right...overlappin the winger getting crosses in and firing in a cracking drive...

if he doesnt rate black or mellor then why keep picking them for the bench??? surely you would throw someone in from the stiffs...

black has a tendancy to go inside a lot and leave the flank wide open,he isnt the tallest of players and opposing teams simply hit a diagonal ball over his head and there free to cross at will.

mellor was doing fine but for some reason had a dip in confidence,and never been the same since,maybe being linked with prem clubs made him big headed...

agree though if were not gonna play either of them and clarke isnt coming back then a natural left footer is needed...