Reward for the faithful

Most people get the point of this thread but for those who had to endure Dons (not myself) this result would have felt amazing, it obviously hurts but no-one is telling me that it doesn't hurt more when you go. I left today feeling amazing and I thought Charlton was great, this for me makes me realise why I support an average team in League 1 with a sh!t ground and low crowd numbers.

Who says mid-table medicority doesn't matter, sorry for any spellings mistakes it has been a long day and I can't be bothered to proof read.

Totally agree with the above post.

Came away from the MK Dons match thinking why do I bother ?

Then they go and restore my faith with a second half performance like yesterdays.

Its like being on a rollercoaster ride following Oldham.

Edited by philwhite

Jeez!

Guys - just to clear the post up for those of you who appear to be feeling a tad insecure. Just because you wasnt there today, doesnt make you less of a fan..... OK? Cant believe I am even having to explain!

For those 'true' fans who made the trip today (yes I am aware that some equally 'true' fans didnt go), then in my opinion, the second half performance was just reward for you/us. I have no doubt most of us thought we were in for a beating today, and at half time I was fearing another 5-0, maybe worse.

When the third went in I looked around and saw some of the same old faces that I have seen for years - in raptures this time. The tough times we share together make the great times feel even better.

Hope this clears things up.

Most of us get the point pal no worries. I didn't go yesterday Saw the score on GSS at 1-0 then went off to do some studying switched it back on at 4:45 preying for it not to be massacre. So when I saw 2-2 I was delighted and hoped we could hold on so when it flashed up that Kuqi had knocked in that penalty I hit the roof.

I'd wished I had gone now, but I'm glad for those that went particularly anyone who went to MK Dons 2 weeks ago, yesterday was payback for them.

Totally agree with the above post.

Came away from the MK Dons match thinking why do I bother ?

Then they go and restore my faith with a second half performance like yesterdays.

Its like being on a rollercoaster ride following Oldham.

Isn't this exactly what makes it great supporting a struggling lower league football side. Times get :censored:. And :censored: for elongated periods, even a full season sometimes. But you have those moments, where after the game you sit, reflect over a pint with family, mates, colleagues and think "It's all worth it". Just for those moments.

I was watching Citeh on MOTD last night. When they scored their first the camera panned to the crowd and it was just clapping. In fact some of those looked like they didn't even want to put the effort in to do that. It was like a half-arsed clap and not even on their feet either. I mean, what the :censored: is that all about? It was as if they'd scored the 7th of an absolute romp.

I wasn't there yesterday because of work commitments, although that masks the main reason because if I'd not have worked I'd have probably been working on my house. But, for those who were there I know how that felt. Every amount of :censored: and bad defeats we go through, it's worth it for that.

I though the Preston 3-3 draw was better to be honest.

But to turn a game round when we were so far behind at half time (not just in scoreline) is tremendous.

Seriously? Preston are crap and we didn't win that game. It was a great game, but yesterday was just extraordinary. To turn that around yesterday was unbelievable. To go to a big club, promotion chasing team, and turn that around was amazing. I'm still in shock. It was one of the all time great away games. Preston was just pretty decent.

But, for those who were there I know how that felt. Every amount of :censored: and bad defeats we go through, it's worth it for that.

Absolutely right. This is why we pay the money, we buy season tickets etc, we sit through games like Colchester last week and we keep turning up. This is why we watch football.

Seriously? Preston are crap and we didn't win that game. It was a great game, but yesterday was just extraordinary. To turn that around yesterday was unbelievable. To go to a big club, promotion chasing team, and turn that around was amazing. I'm still in shock. It was one of the all time great away games. Preston was just pretty decent.

I think he meant Preston was a better game of football. We probably played better overall against Preston too but it can't compare to yesterday.

Apart from Everton away I can't think of a game where it meant so much to the fans at the end.

Edited by bossrocks

I think the atmosphere at Preston was better than yesterday.

At the time, I think we all assumed Preston would be right up there.

I think Latics played better.

But yesterday was exceptional.

Great 2nd half fight from the lads, i just wish we would have that mentality to go for it in every game home and away whether we lose or not.

That is what holds our team back i think in some respects, the fear of attacking a team in numbers and losing the ball, thereby getting caught out and letting in a goal.

I cannot think of one fan who would slag off any players for attacking the opposition and trying to win a game, much like the old royle mentality of if you score 2 we will score 3.

Our lads showed in the second half against 10 men or not that when they all want to they can really hurt teams. They all have the ability it is the psychology that stifles us.

If we went at teams in a pack of 5 or 6 like we did 2nd half yesterday, we will score enough goals to then relax and play football; whereas we normally get 1 and then tentatively try for a 2nd whilst getting pushed gradually further back in our own half before conceding.

We need to be ruthless as an attacking force.

KTF, great effort from everyone from players to fans - personally i don't really truley feel shocked that we won - sheff utd were gifted their goals and given too much respect 1st half.

We then got at them and had a go and every attacking chance we had we made the most of with a goal or 2.

Anyone who CAN, get your arse down to BP and back the lads, they derserve it after rescuing themselves yesterday.

Edited by shefflatic

Incredible afternoon yesterday. 60 minutes in I was sat there feeling pretty deflated, "same old, same old.....", and then we go and do that. It's the rare ones like that that really do make all those away days completely worthwhile. That's why we do it, to experience that sort of bedlam when Kuqi's penalty hit the net :) . Last night felt bloody great (as does today.....)!

I totally get the point about Preston. Going 2-0 down and feeling resigned to a bigger defeat, only to be pleasantly surprised was only part of the story. For me, the atmosphere and backing generated amongst us was what made it really special and I'd certainly put it up there. Yesterday was incredible. There was no way I could see us getting anything than other than a hiding and I have taken a 3-1 defeat before kick-off as long as the majority of players did themselves justice. It left me all shades of shocked and I don't anticipate coming down or stopping watching the goals any time soon. I know we with a team of kids, we could now just as easily show our inconsistency by dropping points over the next couple of games but there's equally a chance that some of them who will start to show some sort of belief in what they could achieve over the remaining games this season and into next.

Best away result since Southampton away two seasons ago. Having witnessed the performance at Mk a fortnight ago got to say and shows how we had something today we have not had for a while a little luck going are away. Dickov got his tactics right and got to say Oldham fans in good voice despite some young lads moaning at the left hand side of us.

Fingers crossed we can build on this.

Sheffield United was always going to be a game that a fair few Latics fans would turn up to. Saturday at a 'bigger' club with a stadium we haven't played at for a good while.

The fans who go to places like Colchester and Exeter away every season are the real heroes for me.

Sheffield United was always going to be a game that a fair few Latics fans would turn up to. Saturday at a 'bigger' club with a stadium we haven't played at for a good while.

The fans who go to places like Colchester and Exeter away every season are the real heroes for me.

Not that many went though... but yes I agree.

I was suprised how Poor the turn out was to be honest. I think the official figure is out at 650 odd. Considering it was a new ground for a lot and only an hour away it was 600 less than we took to chesterfieled in the league.

But 650 sounded like 6500 at the final whistle.

Great day!