Reward for the faithful

Now dont get me wrong, being part of the army of fans which made the trip over to Anfield was great.

Today however outshone all other games this season. Sure, we weren't great in the first half with individual mistakes costing us dear, but the way we kept our resolve and plugged away at it in the second half was magnificent.

Congrats to PD for the tactical changes - I totally understand the 4-5-1, but at 2-0 down 4-4-2 was the right call.

What was more pleasing for me was that the 'true' Latics faithful were there to witness one of the best comebacks of our recent history. The superb diving header by their centre back, the sublime finish from Lee and the nervless penalty by Shefki - topped off with the infamous swallow dive in front of our fans.

Once in a while we will have the 'sexy' trips like Anfield, which we should enjoy, along with the Johnny come latelys, however today was one for the true fans.

The "true" faithful, so are you saying that and Oldham fan who didn't go today is less of a fan?

Someone who went to Anfield but hasn't been to a league game since is less of a fan.

Fantastic display today, the best away trip for me since we beat Leeds 3-1.

I think you know what my point is - go pick a fight elsewhere

Well said, and anybody on here who isn't trying to be a total cock knows exactly what you meant.

I have a season ticket, go to every home game, the odd away game, went to Anfield, etc etc.

However, I didn't go today because I honestly thought we'd get leathered so, in my book, those of you that made the journey (no doubt also suspecting we'd get leathered) are proper fans and I take my hat off to you...

I came on here after the colchester game and voiced my disappointment at our performance and the match in general.

So credit where credit is due, i'm ecstatic tonight. Well done to PD and all the squad, now let's carry the momentum into the scunthorpe game.

Now dont get me wrong, being part of the army of fans which made the trip over to Anfield was great.

Today however outshone all other games this season. Sure, we weren't great in the first half with individual mistakes costing us dear, but the way we kept our resolve and plugged away at it in the second half was magnificent.

Congrats to PD for the tactical changes - I totally understand the 4-5-1, but at 2-0 down 4-4-2 was the right call.

What was more pleasing for me was that the 'true' Latics faithful were there to witness one of the best comebacks of our recent history. The superb diving header by their centre back, the sublime finish from Lee and the nervless penalty by Shefki - topped off with the infamous swallow dive in front of our fans.

Once in a while we will have the 'sexy' trips like Anfield, which we should enjoy, along with the Johnny come latelys, however today was one for the true fans.

I understand your point about the fans that went today and the fans that went to anfield and havent been to a game since however i'd say there are other fans that couldn't make it today because of certain reasons, i consider myself to be a proper fan as i've had a season ticket for 8 years and go to some away games but being 18 i struggle to get the money to go to every single away game so does that make me less of a fan!!

I understand your point about the fans that went today and the fans that went to anfield and havent been to a game since however i'd say there are other fans that couldn't make it today because of certain reasons, i consider myself to be a proper fan as i've had a season ticket for 8 years and go to some away games but being 18 i struggle to get the money to go to every single away game so does that make me less of a fan!!

Think you're missing the general point, fella.

Think you're missing the general point, fella.

Maybe so but my point is that there are some fans that would consider them self proper fan but can't make it to all away games (not being able to go to every away game doesn't mean your not a proper fan)

Unless I'm totally misreading the OP, this isn't a snide jab at those who weren't there, it's a positive thank you to those who were. It's entirely fair and reasonable to say thanks to those who turn up to the "we'll definitely lose" games (and I say this as someone convinced we'd get battered today) without it being an insult to those who turn up to only those games they choose. Thanks to any fan who turns up to any game.

If im missing the general point then my bad

give me a chance its my first time

Ha ha, voting me down eh stroppy arse!

All joking aside mate, I do not doubt for a minute that you're a proper fan. I'm sure you are as you do your level best to get to as many games as you can on a limited budget. I was exactly the same at 18 and i'm nearly 38 now.

On a serious note, I have nothing but respect for you young lads supporting the team now. When I was 18 (in 1992) it was much easier. Although I was as skint as you, watching Latics wasn't a chore as we were in the Premier League and all was rosy.

You lads (and lasses) that have seen us being nothing more than a mid table 3rd division team, and yet still come when ever you can, cannot be faulted in my book....

Ha ha, voting me down eh stroppy arse!

All joking aside mate, I do not doubt for a minute that you're a proper fan. I'm sure you are as you do your level best to get to as many games as you can on a limited budget. I was exactly the same at 18 and i'm nearly 38 now.

On a serious note, I have nothing but respect for you young lads supporting the team now. When I was 18 (in 1992) it was much easier. Although I was as skint as you, watching Latics wasn't a chore as we were in the Premier League and all was rosy.

You lads (and lasses) that have seen us being nothing more than a mid table 3rd division team, and yet still come when ever you can, cannot be faulted in my book....

It will be the same with most young people that go and watch thier clubs i suppose however its time like today, the trips to anfield and goodison in 08 that make being a fan of a mid table 3rd division team that little bit more special in my view

It will be the same with most young people that go and watch thier clubs i suppose however its time like today, the trips to anfield and goodison in 08 that make being a fan of a mid table 3rd division team that little bit more special in my view

It'd be boring if we won every week, that's why football's such a great game. Just come back on here on Tuesday night when we've whimpered to a 0 v 1 home defeat and everyone's calling for Dickov to be sacked again :grin:

It'd be boring if we won every week, that's why football's such a great game. Just come back on here on Tuesday night when we've whimpered to a 0 v 1 home defeat and everyone's calling for Dickov to be sacked again :grin:

I will be on on tuesday although I hope its after a win and not loss but I wouldn't put it past us being disapointing after todays result

Unless I'm totally misreading the OP, this isn't a snide jab at those who weren't there, it's a positive thank you to those who were. It's entirely fair and reasonable to say thanks to those who turn up to the "we'll definitely lose" games (and I say this as someone convinced we'd get battered today) without it being an insult to those who turn up to only those games they choose. Thanks to any fan who turns up to any game.

Jeez!

Guys - just to clear the post up for those of you who appear to be feeling a tad insecure. Just because you wasnt there today, doesnt make you less of a fan..... OK? Cant believe I am even having to explain!

For those 'true' fans who made the trip today (yes I am aware that some equally 'true' fans didnt go), then in my opinion, the second half performance was just reward for you/us. I have no doubt most of us thought we were in for a beating today, and at half time I was fearing another 5-0, maybe worse.

When the third went in I looked around and saw some of the same old faces that I have seen for years - in raptures this time. The tough times we share together make the great times feel even better.

Hope this clears things up.

Its a tough old time for many TRUE fans and getting to all the games simply impossible delighted for those who manage the stress every week of being a latics fan. I bet the atmosphere at HT was a bit down. Credit to everyone who travels as its never easy. Irony as a Sheffield resident in Nottingham today... snarl. As for Kuqi that lads got to have credit for taking the pen imagine the stick if he had missed.

PS I downboated the post above simply for the stropy arse remark ;-) give the newbie a chance.

I know of at least one fan (the general) who left at half time :grin:

Jeez!

Guys - just to clear the post up for those of you who appear to be feeling a tad insecure. Just because you wasnt there today, doesnt make you less of a fan..... OK? Cant believe I am even having to explain!

For those 'true' fans who made the trip today (yes I am aware that some equally 'true' fans didnt go), then in my opinion, the second half performance was just reward for you/us. I have no doubt most of us thought we were in for a beating today, and at half time I was fearing another 5-0, maybe worse.

When the third went in I looked around and saw some of the same old faces that I have seen for years - in raptures this time. The tough times we share together make the great times feel even better.

Hope this clears things up.

Exactly, not sure why you got jumped on for this.

I had to spend the weekend in llandudno but spent all afternoon watching sky sports news with my latics obsessed five year old daughter who took the roof of the hotel when we scored our third. Days like today make me realise why thirty two years of my life have been spent supporting latics

Most people get the point of this thread but for those who had to endure Dons (not myself) this result would have felt amazing, it obviously hurts but no-one is telling me that it doesn't hurt more when you go. I left today feeling amazing and I thought Charlton was great, this for me makes me realise why I support an average team in League 1 with a sh!t ground and low crowd numbers.

Who says mid-table medicority doesn't matter, sorry for any spellings mistakes it has been a long day and I can't be bothered to proof read.