Cheltenham 2012

I know there used to be a few racing threads on here but I've not seen one in a while so thought I'd start one up for Cheltenham. I'm "in between" jobs at the minute so I'm in the strange position of being able to watch the Festival but not have a bet (other than a couple of free bets I've still got knocking about in my online accounts). For what it's worth my Day one picks (based on nothing more than names that have won for me before or that I like the look of) are:

Supreme Novices Hurdle - Cinders & Ashes

Arkle - Sprinter Sacre

JLT - Quantitativeasing (Our Mick as an E/W chance)

Champion Hurdle - Hurricane Fly

Cross country Chase - Balthazar King

Mares Hurdle - Quevega (Kentford Grey Lady E/W)

Novice Handicap - Ackertac

Edited by mikebOAFC

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cheltenham festival is easily my favourite horse race meeting of the year and is the best 4 days of National Hunt racing in the world.

Unfortunately today there are some very short price favourites which look very difficult to oppose IMO.

Sprinter Sacre 2-05 looks well ahead of his rivals on this seasons chase form.

Hurricane Fly 3-20 last years winner and very difficult to oppose again.

Quevega 4-40 has won this race for the last 3 seasons and will probably win it again, she is superior to any of her rivals.

They are all short prices but it really is difficult to see any of them beaten, so I'll have some multiple bets i.e. doubles and a treble covering all three.

Those 3 aside the rest of the card looks much trickier, but I think The Package 2-40 currently available at 6/1 could run very well, he was beaten in a photo in this race 2 years ago and has been off with injury for over a year since that race. However he comes from a stable that are experts at getting horses back and fit after long layoffs, he will do for me and I expect him to go very close.

Good luck to anyone having a bet.

Irishman hot favourite to be drunkest person at Cheltenham

13-03-12

MARTIN O'Hanlon, a 38 year-old from Kerry, is the bookies' choice for champion drinker at the Cheltenham Festival.

The Gold Cup goes to whoever pushes this little chap off Kauto StarThe four-day sauce-necking event, which takes place next to some horses at Cheltenham racecourse, attracts top professional drinkers from around the world.

This year's 5-6 favourite is garrulous Irishman O' Hanlon, who will be coming over on the ferry with four grand in his top pocket and a 'virtually unlimited' capacity for rum and coke.

O'Hanlon's trainer, Stephen Malley, said: "Martin romped home last weekend at Kelso, consuming 194 units of alcohol over a 48-hour stretch. That includes 98 units before he had his first piss.

"He's a great competitor and a fantastic personality. The crowd loves it when he doesn't seem that pissed but then tries to leave the bar via an imaginary door."

Earlier this season O' Hanlon, who stands 13 hands high when upright, sustained a serious injury to his drinking arm when he repeatedly punched a road sign following a mid-week session at Doncaster.

Malley said: "Luckily he was still able to grab people round the neck and force them to sing 'Wild Colonial Boy'."

Drinkers' rights groups have called for the event to be banned after last year's favourite, the popular Scot Davey McBride, stumbled into a roadside ditch and had to be shot.

But a spokesman for the organisers said: "The drinkers love it. You can see the enjoyment in their eyes and to stop them doing it would be going against nature.

"Unfortunately, when they fall over they're often too drunk to tell us if they're okay and so we have to put them down."

I know there used to be a few racing threads on here but I've not seen one in a while so thought I'd start one up for Cheltenham. I'm "in between" jobs at the minute so I'm in the strange position of being able to watch the Festival but not have a bet (other than a couple of free bets I've still got knocking about in my online accounts). For what it's worth my Day one picks (based on nothing more than names that have won for me before or that I like the look of) are:

Supreme Novices Hurdle - Cinders & Ashes

Arkle - Sprinter Sacre

JLT - Quantitativeasing (Our Mick as an E/W chance)

Champion Hurdle - Hurricane Fly

Cross country Chase - Balthazar King

Mares Hurdle - Quevega (Kentford Grey Lady E/W)

Novice Handicap - Ackertac

Good day, so far!

:chubb:

Edited by Stevie_J
Update: He's on fire!

Good day, so far!

:chubb:

16:40 - Quevega win, Kentford Grey Lady 2nd.

Not had big money on any of these unfortunately, and had to take a couple as doubles and trebles, so not won anywhere near what I should have done. Decent day nevertheless and a place for Ackertac in the last would bring in my biggest bet (e/w treble with Balthazar and Kentford)

Is it take a wild guess on a horse and pretend you are good at picking horses season already?

I'm dead good at picking horses me :grin:

After some good races yesterday, and some great results, I'm not half as confident about today. I'm not sure I'll have chance to put a bet on today but again, for what it's worth, here are my picks:

13:30 - Teaforthree

14:05 - Simonsig

14:40 - Grands Crus

15:20 - Finian's Rainbow

16:00 - Consigliere (E/W)

16:40 - Vendor

17:15 - Village Vic

£20 on Grand Crus / Sizing Europe Double.

I had £20 on al ferof which lost to sprinter sacre. Money back with PP so I've invested it wisely...

That is my only bet of the day (unless it wins!)

Edited by pukka

I'm dead good at picking horses me :grin:

After some good races yesterday, and some great results, I'm not half as confident about today. I'm not sure I'll have chance to put a bet on today but again, for what it's worth, here are my picks:

13:30 - Teaforthree

14:05 - Simonsig

14:40 - Grands Crus

15:20 - Finian's Rainbow

16:00 - Consigliere (E/W)

16:40 - Vendor

17:15 - Village Vic

Where are you getting these tips from?!!?

Where are you getting these tips from?!!?

Haha..I follow getyourtipsout on twitter (blog here http://getyourtipsout.wordpress.com/). I go with a mix of what they suggest and what I've backed before. They had a good day yesterday but missed Our Mick and Balthazar and I've only gone with 3 of their picks today (they were against Simonsig). They're having a decent year overall so definitely worth a follow.

Edited for spelling

Edited by mikebOAFC