Should Paul Dickov be Latics manager

382 members have voted

1. 1. NOW: Should Paul Dickov be the Latics' manager?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. NEXT SEASON IF WE'RE IN LEAGUE ONE: Should Paul Dickov be the Latics' manager?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. NEXT SEASON IF WE'RE IN LEAGUE TWO: Should Paul Dickov be the Latics' manager?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm bored, so I've gone for it before somebody else does.

Three scenarios - please answer them all.

I've voted yes on all three, let's be honest who else would want the job?

I do think he needs to bring in an experienced advisor. Shame Horton's gone back to Macc, he would have been ideal.

I'm of the same opinion of when a very similar question was asked about Penney before he got the chop (to be fair it was a bit of a suprise he did)..

I'd say yes now, Yes next season.. If at Christmas next year there aren't improvements it'd be an isult to Dickov himself to suggest he should still be in a job.

A lot have their tongue up his arse, managers have been sacked for less. I like him and hope things get better, football was really good at times last year but we are approaching make or break time I reckon.

I'm of the same opinion of when a very similar question was asked about Penney before he got the chop (to be fair it was a bit of a suprise he did)..

I'd say yes now, Yes next season.. If at Christmas next year there aren't improvements it'd be an isult to Dickov himself to suggest he should still be in a job.

A lot have their tongue up his arse, managers have been sacked for less. I like him and hope things get better, football was really good at times last year but we are approaching make or break time I reckon.

^^^^

This

If this was either Shez, Moore, Talbot or Penney, fans would have been baying for blood.

But I have voted yes, yes, no. If what has been said about the budget not being as bad as touted is true, then he should count himself very lucky if he is still in the job come August.

I've voted No for the last question.

We've got to remember the quality of player in the squad, yes, we've been depleted by injuries but if we were relegated with this group of players I can't see past the manager being the issue, with some statistics recently posted about concentration, motivation etc posted recently backing up that idea. The question to ask would be would could another manager fare better with these players than Dickov has? And unfortunately the answer is yes. There are worse quality squads doing better or similar to us in this league.

Edited by NewBlue

I answered yes to all 3, however, I would like to think that the third question will never become a reality. There are a few folk saying that PD doesn't have the experience; we're a mid table league one outfit, how low does he have to go yo gain experience, Chester, Hereford, Droylsden or Vauxhall Motors? I haven't done anywhere near as many games home/away this session as I have done in the past few seasons, mainly due to work. the ones I have been to gave been exactly the sane though- no creativity and a lack if urgency; by which I mean they seem content on trying to maintain possession; which PD will obviously have told them, but its all sideways and backwards then the ball is lost, only when they go a goal behind do they crank it up s notch whereas if the notch was cranked before we go a goal fine then we wouldn't be a goal down.....I'm missing the reason as to why this happens...WHY???

yes to all three but would be gutted to go down.

We need some stability at the club if after next season we are still struggling at the bottom of league one and having these massive runs of poor form that seem to have become a feature of our time under PD then maybe we think about changing things then.

I still want to feel posative that we can get a little further up the league this season and then i think its been a fairly decent one, if we finish 17th then the lack of progress is a bit worrying but we need to stop this knee jerk one bad season and get rid of the manager we keep finding ourselves in - it hasnt worked in the past so lets try and stick with PD and hopefully he cant turn it round. After the Penny fiasco i dread to think who we could end up with. I would like to see some more expereince in the backroom staff tho

I've gone for YES, YES, NO.

Getting rid of him now and / or not giving him another season in League 1 would be a bit premature in my opinion.

However, if we do go down this season (I don't think for a minute we will) with the players he has at his disposal then for me he has to go, 100%.

I agree with Prozac that a more experienced coach should come in and assist Dickov, eg Lennie Lawrence at Crystal Palace. I think it would be a huge asset.

But this would most likely put Taggart's nose massively out of joint (metaphorically, as it probably already is out of joint literally) and possibly Dickov's too if the idea is suggested to him rather than being something he accepts/suggests himself.

Guest Scratch2000uk

I voted yes for all three, that's if Dickov wants to further harm his career chances by staying here next season. :unsure:

Given investment and time, i think he'll do well at a higher level. :wink:

I echo much of the above in thinking if we had an older head alongside Dickov we might benefit but I firmly believe as a club and a town we need some stability. If next year we have no improvement while the squad (hopefully not decimated) has had a pre-season to gel then it’s time for fresh ideas.

Strange though, how we have a goal poaching striker and a tough nut defender in charge yet this is majorly lacking in our squad all year.

I echo much of the above in thinking if we had an older head alongside Dickov we might benefit but I firmly believe as a club and a town we need some stability. If next year we have no improvement while the squad (hopefully not decimated) has had a pre-season to gel then it’s time for fresh ideas.

Strange though, how we have a goal poaching striker and a tough nut defender in charge yet this is majorly lacking in our squad all year.

as above really.

YES to all 3 BUT: he shouldn't be immune to fans asking questions of him or criticing him either. Some of the selections, tactics, substitutions and player recruitments have been questionable for some time.

He stays though for me as who would want it, who could realistically do any better. Grim but unfortunately true I feel.

^^^^

This

If this was either Shez, Moore, Talbot or Penney, fans would have been baying for blood.

But I have voted yes, yes, no. If what has been said about the budget not being as bad as touted is true, then he should count himself very lucky if he is still in the job come August.

Perhaps fans are beginning to realise that you can't keep sacking and appointing managers as we have in the past.

That said, it doesn;t mean he is the right man for the job.

For what it's worth, I agree with Prozac, that an experienced head like Horton to help him out would be ideal.

I agree with Prozac that a more experienced coach should come in and assist Dickov, eg Lennie Lawrence at Crystal Palace. I think it would be a huge asset.

But this would most likely put Taggart's nose massively out of joint (metaphorically, as it probably already is out of joint literally) and possibly Dickov's too if the idea is suggested to him rather than being something he accepts/suggests himself.

Its about time PD puts his hands up and admitts he needs an older head, GT / Dux are just not that savvy.

I'm absolutely against sacking Dickov but surprised by the number who would keep him if we went down this season. For me it's an unequivocal yes to keeping him on but, if he can't get enough out of the players between now and the end of the season to get us over the line, it would be a massive failure, and I'd give him the boot. Saying that, though, I'm confident he will and we'll stay up.

I'm absolutely against sacking Dickov but surprised by the number who would keep him if we went down this season. For me it's an unequivocal yes to keeping him on but, if he can't get enough out of the players between now and the end of the season to get us over the line, it would be a massive failure, and I'd give him the boot. Saying that, though, I'm confident he will and we'll stay up.

I reckon it will be a very different squad next season though Stevie, thats why I reckon he should stay even in League 2!

Albeit it wont come to that!

:shock:

Seriously?

He knows what skint lower league football is all about.

He's won the Football League Trophy.

Reached play-offs from this division, losing (just) to Man City over two legs before Dickov did his stuff at Wembley.

His win rate as a manager in a permanant role is above 40%.

He's been number two at a number of sides and, given his age, would probably not be after the top job so wouldn't undermine Dickov.

He also strikes me as a thoroughly decent bloke.

He knows what skint lower league football is all about.

He's won the Football League Trophy.

Reached play-offs from this division, losing (just) to Man City over two legs before Dickov did his stuff at Wembley.

His win rate as a manager in a permanant role is above 40%.

He's been number two at a number of sides and, given his age, would probably not be after the top job so wouldn't undermine Dickov.

He also strikes me as a thoroughly decent bloke.

How did he do in his last job?

Everyone knows my opinion so not gonna comment on whether I think PD should be gaffer.........

BUT....

Why is everyone assuming Gerry is the problem?

Pass. I think it's just a Latics tradition to turn on the assistant manager when the chips are down. Bill Urmson, John Breckin, Tommy Wright, Martin Gray...