Oldham v St Helens RL 5th Round

You better be worried Rummy, Whitebank Stadium is very tricky...!

http://www.therfl.co.uk/news/article/24876/carnegie-challenge-cup-5th-round

Warrington Wolves v Bradford Bulls

Catalan Dragons v Sheffield Eagles

Salford City Reds v Leeds Rhinos

Leigh Centurions v Halifax RLFC

Oldham RLFC v St Helens

Featherstone Rovers v Wigan Warriors

Huddersfield Giants v Swinton Lions

Batley Bulldogs v London Broncos

What a great draw, chuffed for Oldham as that should bring the pennies in. Not sure the Whitebank will be suitable though, TV may be interested (Although Fev v Pies may get the nod) be better to switch it to BP to get the crowds in and the money. (For a nominal fee of course!)

Oh and Oldham have already beaten a team containing Chris Flannery, Ade Gardner, Josh Perry, Josh Jones and Adam Swift earlier this year!

Saints all the way for this one though, enjoy the pay day Oldham

That's a shame. Is that any SL team, or just the big boys? If they drew London or Catalans then Whitebank would easily be big enough!

They will easily get a much bigger crowd away from the Whitebank, but it does take some of the magic away from it.

Apparently any SL team, bollocks if you ask me. But having been to the Whitebank on a couple of occasions it struggles to deal with the average 7/800 fans the 'yeds get for an average game. Mainly the toilet and parking facilities BUT if it rains it is carnage around the ground and carparks. TBH The Rugby team should still be at BP, it's bollocks that two clubs that are on their arses are having to maintain TWO pisspoor grounds. And before 'but what about the pitch' chestnut gets rolled out any damage to thepitch since it was relayed in 2002 and paid for by OMBC was minimal...

Edited by oafcprozac

Nice pay day for the Roughyeds and if they play at BP then the club may get a nice bit of one-off rent.

I've started watching/following the RL a bit this year - may go along.

Edit: Sack that, didn't realise was same weekend as Bury!

Edited by jsslatic

If possible get it at BP.

Shouldn't mean anything to Latics if the ground turns a little. Might even suit us.

We can get a fee for them using the ground.

Plus the people of Oldham get a chance to see one of RL's big boys here.

All money is good money - Simon Corney.

PS Come on 'yeds show these fake scouse whingers who is boss.

Would love to see Paul Wellens with his arms outstretched approaching the ref after letting in another try.

This game should be at BP. It is a chance to have a major sporting event in Oldham, something that doesn't come alonng very often and will get the borough some positive publicity. Latics should be offering it to the Roughyeds for nothing more than the associated costs. What a great opportunity to build a few bridges between the two clubs.

Oldham needs sport and that means both football and rugby. Just remember the feel good factor when we were both in the relevant top flights and Oldham Celtic basketball were playing Marseille in the European Cup.

Spot on Mark, such a high profile event should be in Oldham. Sadly, like in 2002 (when the Roughyeds again were drawn against Saints and saw the tie played at Bower Fold) the match will be played elsewhere. Heard it's pretty nailed on to be at Langtree Park, Saints will take out their associated costs then split the taking with Roughyeds. They should do very well out of it. But have given any chance they had of getting a result away.

In fact it had been played at the Whitebank, as I saw in the Friendly (Saints Youth Team with a couple of first-teamers coming back from injury) the pitch there could have been a great leveller, but the facilities are wholly inadequate for the 6/700 they get now so would not cope with a minimum of 1,500-2000 crowd the game would attract there. Might as well set sensible ticket prices and get 3 and half times that at Langtree Park. Providing it doesn't clash with Bury, I'll certainly be going.

went to Skolars v Oldham yesterday. Before the game a group of Oldham fans walked into the, until then peaceful, bar and one of them was absolutely shouting his head off about winning the league. I thought he was just being unecessarily antagonistic to the Londoners and was shouting about Oldham RL. But no......one of his mates said to us "sorry about him but he's a City fan and the rest of us are United". As I was flicking the v's into his fat stupid face it dawned on me that I wanted Skolars to win.

Bloody hell. Oldham getting their arses handed to them in a cup tie on Merseyside. Again. Maybe it's revenge for all those jobs going at the Liverpool Echo. :wink:

most Saints fans i've spoken to said they were gutted when they scored the last try, they wanted to be able to tell Wigan "even Oldham didn't let us win 75-0". By all accounts it was a sterling effort though, and there were quite a few harsh refereeing decisions. Radio Merseyside thought Dallimore getting sin-binned was OTT.

I reckon all this 'good effort Oldham' talk from RedVee and the Official is just pleasantries, is was a training exercise by all accounts for the Saints when all said and done. Yeds getting nilled and a point-a-minute scoreline was my guess, not far off - however Oldham will get a decent payday out of it. It's a win for everybody.

No they put in a real shift Rummy, yes Saints played within themselves but I don't think Oldham could have given anymore, some of the decisions we got were very generous and ones we never get in super league. The ref was a complete homer and the Dallimore sin binning particularly harsh. He gad a very good game the Oldham 7

Edited by oafcprozac