Micah Richards

I know we approached city in the not too distant past asking them to buy the Richards clause out.

I imagine they declined. but if not, the Richards money might already have been & gone? tho assume it would have to be shown in the club accounts?

I know we approached city in the not too distant past asking them to buy the Richards clause out.

I imagine they declined. but if not, the Richards money might already have been & gone? tho assume it would have to be shown in the club accounts?

I thought it was the other way round, they approached us and with a fairly derisory offer.

Found this from the Mail in 2006.

From memory, I think that Alan Hardy mentioned £250,000 in the Chron. Could be wrong, though.

Young gun: Micah Richards

Manchester City's bid to buy out the sell-on clause in the contract of rising star Micah Richards has been rejected by Oldham.

Defender Richards is seemingly attracting considerable attention from several Premiership clubs, notably Spurs who are being linked with a £5million move for the 18-year-old.

Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool are also rumoured to be targeting Richards, who made a major impact last season after breaking through into manager Stuart Pearce's plans.

Although City are determined to hang onto one of their crown jewels, money talks as was the case exactly a year ago when Shaun Wright-Phillips joined Chelsea for £21million.

Richards was signed by City four years ago from Oldham's Centre of Excellence, and is currently under contract at Eastlands until 2008, although there is talk of the club looking to make an improved offer.

But in covering their options, as Richards yesterday made clear his future may one day lie elsewhere, City had hoped to persuade Oldham to agree a figure for the 20 per cent sell-on clause, one that could eventually net them at least a seven-figure sum.

But a statement on Athletic's website said: "The club can now confirm City have been in touch with a suggestion they buy out the clause which could eventually net a six-figure sum.

"Our polite reply was: 'Thanks but no thanks."'

Richards could ultimately be lured away from City if one of the Premiership's big guns come calling as he has said: "For now I am with Manchester City, but I can't always say I'll be a Manchester City player in the future.

"At the end of the day everyone wants to better their career, and if Chelsea, Arsenal or wherever was the right place to go, I'd have to consider it, wouldn't I?

"Obviously there has been interest from different clubs. After only 15 starts the interest is unbelievable really. It's good to know, but my dad just keeps telling me to keep my feet on the ground, keep working hard and things will pay off."

Richards is not the only star City are apparently looking to tie up long term as skipper Sylvain Distin is believed to have been offered a new three-year contract which would make him the highest-paid player at the club.

The French centre-back, though, is seemingly keeping his options open, with Middlesbrough and Portsmouth monitoring the situation.

yes, a few years back city did attempt to buy the clause out, an offer that came to nothing.

in the last couple of years though, given the dire financial mess we found ourselves in, it's us that went to city.

sadly I don't know if any deal was agreed. I assume not but can't be certain.

yes, a few years back city did attempt to buy the clause out, an offer that came to nothing.

in the last couple of years though, given the dire financial mess we found ourselves in, it's us that went to city.

sadly I don't know if any deal was agreed. I assume not but can't be certain.

What's the basis for your belief?

What's the basis for your belief?

I'm not one to ever claim insider information & all that boring "I know something you don't" garbage. but this just happens to be something I know, 100% certain.

as I say though, it may never have come to anything. I don't imagine city care one way or the other these days!

Prior to Abu Dhabi buying the pile of toss club, my hope was that Micah would be fantastically good for them. Since, I've wanted him to be great but not quite so good as to make the first team all the time. Funny how circumstances change perspectives