Dean Furman

surely we must offer this guy a new contract now , he has been fantastic in the last two seasons and we dont wanna end up with another keiron lee situation at the end of next season meaning losing one of our best players for nothing.

hope we do but even if we did i wouldn't expect him to sign unless its a good pay increase. he can wait till he's free next season get himself i nice signing on fee from another club considering the club will get him for nothing. that's alt presuming he has a good season and his stock does not fall

never said he was going to accept , but even if he didnt at least it means were prepared for him leaving meaning we could therefore possibly cash in on him now instead of losing him for nothing at the end of the season.

never said he was going to accept , but even if he didnt at least it means were prepared for him leaving meaning we could therefore possibly cash in on him now instead of losing him for nothing at the end of the season.

As good as he is (and I think he's the best we've got when fit - better than Lee and Taylor) I doubt selling him now with a year left will get us much more than £100k because teams will know they can wait it out - another year isn't going to take much out of him at his age and in tight economic times even the bigger teams are watching what they spend.

No we are going to have to accept loosing players on a free until we have increased revenue streams from this new stand. Hopefully that will allow us to move forward. Its the way of the world now. Look at all the clubs in our position 99% are doing the same thing. Alex Cisak will go for nothing next season as well. I hate it but we can do nothing about it.

These things happen by design rather than by accident.

Due to finances, the club have already stated that short-term contracts are what we'll be offering going forward and, if it means that we lose players then so be it. There are many other clubs doing the same thing and I'd rather us do that than spend money we haven't got.

I don't see how we'll ever improve our financial health with the current set-up (which, barring the inept contract handling, I fully support). We may be finally sorting out the stadium, but attendances - and don't let the website's little con trick about the Golden Ticket effect deceive us - are still falling.

However, treating your key players like this will not work. The thing is we know exactly how things will pan out every single time because we're handing out one-year deals. Kieran Lee, out of contract, is always going to choose a team who have strong foundations, money, and promotion momentum over Oldham Athletic.

Furman, Cisak and anyone else will follow Lee out of the door because we refuse to tie them for longer. I agree that we should treat less-established players with a little caution, but the players we're talking about are too important to handle with such high-risk. We saw this season how when you take out the likes of Furman, Wesolowski, Simpson etc we're relegation candidates. If it wasn't for their effect pre-Christmas we would be gearing up for a season in League Two.

Thankfully, the club had enough sense to insert a clause into Furman's contract otherwise he would be joining a new club this summer.

Furman, Cisak and anyone else will follow Lee out of the door because we refuse to tie them for longer.

I'm not sure you can assume they want longer contracts. If they're good enough it's in their interest to have shorter deals. Puts them in a stronger negotiating position with us and makes them more appealing to other clubs.

I'm not sure you can assume they want longer contracts. If they're good enough it's in their interest to have shorter deals. Puts them in a stronger negotiating position with us and makes them more appealing to other clubs.

I agree. However, we haven't heard from them - well, barring the "we'll see what happens" line. We have, though, heard it from Corney's mouth that we're handing out short-term deals.

Having seen how well Simpson fitted into the team whilst on-loan, why, then, was he only handed a deal until the end of this season. On the flip side, and I guess it nullifies my argument a little, Wesolowski was handed a one-year deal and has suffered a frustrating season because he's been injured.

I don't see how an extra year will affect Wesolowski's decision process when we took him on. If the offers were that good elsewhere, he wouldn't be here. I think he would have signed a two-year deal, and I also think that only a year was offered in the first place.

It's no secret that finances at football clubs up and down the country are in a state. The positive from this, is that there are not going to be more than 10/15 clubs that have a huge competitive/ financial advantage over us at this level. Many clubs will only be offering short term deals just like many clubs will be scrapping their reserve teams.

It means that every season there will be flood of out of contract players though, as agents will only make real money by moving their players on, players that stay at any club for longer than 2 or 3 years will be he exception rather than the rule.

i hav a gut feeling furman will be here a while longer yet. dunno why but i think we have ourselves a club man there. as for simpson im not so sure he will e the exceptional signing everyone thinks he will be. if we do sign a load of meat heads like dickov has suggested, will simpson fit in?

i hav a gut feeling furman will be here a while longer yet. dunno why but i think we have ourselves a club man there. as for simpson im not so sure he will e the exceptional signing everyone thinks he will be. if we do sign a load of meat heads like dickov has suggested, will simpson fit in?

Unless we make significant progress next season, he'll be off. He'd be a fool not to.

The club can't afford to offer long-term contracts, the budget is determined by the season's income. So if we get 7,000 in every game we can have a decent budget, if we get 4,000 we are always going struggle. It seems that the crowd numbers are staying the same which is good, hopefully we get more this season with the kids for a tenner. Season tickets have gone up which is music to everyone's ears, the hope will be that the kids spend a lot of money at the game, drag thier parents along, maybe bring a mate and buy the club shirt.