Athletic chief executive praises Paul Dickov after two years as manager

Neil Joy: "I would class the two years Paul has been manager as a success".

States the league finishes under Dickov have been disappointing, but "under the circumstances and witj the obstacles he has faced, we possess one of the best young managers in football".

Source: Oldham Evening Chronicle

Thoughts? Has Paul Dickov, under the "circumstances, been a success in his two years with the club? Most will point to Liverpool, the JPT run, and our early form in his first three months as promising, but lots more needed. A little to excuse-happy, too soft, has looked thoughtless on too many occasions. Hasn't won me over with his tactics, but I can't help but take to his attitude to football.

Here's to another two years - and beyond.

It's been steady, we shouldn't have drifted into the near relegation battles that we have but i wouldn't expect the club to be pushing for play offs as our club is slowly dying. Last years cup runs were a good distraction but that cost us a better league position with the massive glut of Tuesday-Saturday games towards the end of the season with our key players missing.

I like Dickov and I think given time he could put together a side that could finish top half regulary - is that good enough for us fans? I personally think so. Next season the fans will expect much more from him and i suspect there will be times where the fans will turn on him, as has been the case for all the managers since Royle. He's got to work around the backbone of the important players (Cisak, Mvoto, Furman & Weslowski) and rely on fringe players putting in consistant high performances (Brown, Morais, Tounkara etc) if they stay. I hope he can sign some solid players for next season but with the budget being cut to a league 2 standard, along with falling crowds, he'll have a tough job in pleasing us all.

He's easily pleased then. I think even the most optimistic fan would struggle to describe the past two years as a success.

The first half of the last 2 seasons has been very much a success.

Unfortunately the second half of the last 2 seasons has been a disaster.

What he needs to do is learn from his mistakes and not play burned out players, even if it means playing the kids!

from the point of view that he has had his budget cut each year, yes corney has signed when he has wanted someone

but im sure the aim was to keep us in league 1 which he has done

we went to Anfield and although the JPT ended badly its the best we have done in either comp for a good few years

its his first 2 years in management - so imo yes i would say it was a success

can it be improved on? of course

but when he leaves Oldham he will leave a better manager, more than likley to a bigger club - as long as he leaves off his own back and doesnt wait to be pushed which with the track record of our fans and the boards history of panic could happen sooner rather than later

The first half of the last 2 seasons has been very much a success.

Unfortunately the second half of the last 2 seasons has been a disaster.

What he needs to do is learn from his mistakes and not play burned out players, even if it means playing the kids!

If you replaced the 2s with 7s would your post be so far wrong?

Managers keeping their job for 2 years is rare enough that he can't have done all that badly

I still think Dickov is the manager to deliver success to our club and we have our best chance with him at the helm.

He's building a squad under limited resources that contains quality players at our level and he genuinely wants to play attractive and effective football.

He has also shown a bond with fans and is first to get involved with off-field activities to increase our profile.

He's a likeable chap and I reckon he can emulate another striker who turned up at the end of their playing career to begin their managerial career with us.

If you replaced the 2s with 7s would your post be so far wrong?

Managers keeping their job for 2 years is rare enough that he can't have done all that badly

Thats a fair comment!

I think he is the man for the job, he just needs to learn from his mistakes!