As a way of passing time and sparing me looking at the Transfer Rumours site, would anyone like to share happy memories of Latics matches in recent years?

I'm not just talking about the obvious ones like beating Arsenal, Villa, Liverpool and Man U - how about more 'low key' ones when you went home thinking, 'God, that's why I love football'.

Two in recent (ish) times stick in my memory. One is beating QPR 2-1 at home in the 2003/04 season. A patched up team with the likes of Matt O'Halloran, basically being held together by old man Shez, Cooksey and a couple of others, struggling at the bottom, 1-down for ages against a team near the top...then we came back to win 2-1 with (I think) a late Cooksey/Eyre double. I remember Pogs racing from his goal to the other end of the pitch to celebrate after we got the winner. Absolutely magic.

This one as well....when we thrashed Shuddersfield 4-0 at BP in 2002. Wijnhard scored a brilliant goal at the RRE after 25 seconds to shut their fans and their 'tasteful' "He's only got one arm" chants right up. At the end they were screaming for their manager (Mick Wadsworth, if I remember right) to be sacked. Lourenco scored a brilliant overhead kick, John Eyre was everywhere and Latics played brilliantly. Look at our team as well...jeez, we had some good players in that season.......

http://news.bbc.co.u...v_2/2272694.stm

Any others..?

Edited by perfectOzblue

Oldham Athletic 4-3 Millwall.

After going 1-0 down after 13 seconds, Lidds pulled a goal back with his chest but we were 3-1 down before long, all hope seemed lost and Millwall fans being the tw*ts they are were loving it. If I remember rightly Hughes made it 2-3 and then he won a penalty which Lidds converted, never missed did he? and then late on we got a free-kick on the edge of the area and it was the best thing I've seen Oldham do with a set-piece, couple of touches before Taylor struck it and won us the match.

3-1 up and you :censored:ed it up!

One that stands out for me was shez coming out of retirement to run the game from the centre circle at Hillsborough with knees made of concrete

showed that a large part of the game is played with you head, he was always in the right place and never mis-placed a a pass helping a young team of journey men and nobody's get a point in a very good game against a side who i think went up at the end of the season

standing ovation from both sets of fans who consider him a legend and a goal from the spot aswell

i think that was the game where Kuqi scored twice got sent off aswell - not sure on that one but if he cant remember playing against us then why should I ;)

Stockport 1 - 2 Latics - 2003

Definitely one of my favourite games watching Latics - that last minute Eyres free kick was brilliant and a great end.

Latics 4 - 1 Plymouth - 2004

We were in trouble and it looked like we were going to get smashed that afternoon, but we were simply brilliant - one of the best performances i've seen

Latics 3 - 0 Forest - 2006

IIRC this was the game where Taylor made his debut and absolutely ripped them a new one on the right wing - love it.

Latics 3 - 0 Scunny - 2009

One of the best individual performances i've seen from Alessandra - i always thought there was something there and he'd make it, but that's life i suppose.

Liverpool 5 - 1 Latics - 2012

Just for the experience, unfortunately had to miss the Everton game, so going to Anfield really made up for that.

Overall Favourite - Plymouth 2004.

Edited by Latics_Fanatic

The game when we beat Rushden in Sept 2003, with a completely re-built squad of journeymen, past-it, and never had it; after Twatex bloke left us in the lurch. Having been 2-1 down with 10 minutes to go for Matty O'halloran to pop up in the box, white boots and all, to rifle one across the keeper to win 3-2. After all that had gone on the summer before, for that to happen, made it feel like we had survived and might actually not get relegated.

That and beating Citeh at Maine Road, in what is now League 1; when Gary Kelly saved a pen at the end we had our fans. There was something about that day that made me think we had dragged City down to our level and they would remain so for a while. In the end, it probably was the cataylst for the opposite, but you can't have everything.

The game that springs to mind for me was Oldham vs Wolves in the FA Cup third round in 2007.

We didn't win but it was a terrific game and maintained my record of never having seen Oldham lose a game.

Of course we lost the replay and since then I have seen Oldham lose plenty of times.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/6214041.stm

Mine's quite apt given we've got them tonight but it's got to be beating them 1-0 in the FA Cup.. The only time (other than my dad taking me on against Sheff Wednesday as a kid) that I've been on to the BP pitch.

Sheer joy. The Everton win was a great result/day but, the City result just of because who it was against. Considering we weren't great at the time and getting bragging rights over them, quality.

i think for me it will be hard to beat the combination of Leeds and Everton in '08. i'd have been 12/13 and both tickets were a christmas present from my dad. we went expecting two thrashings and came away with a feeling that is why i love football.

other more recent ones are:

Latics 4-2 Plymouth - generally good game, good football by both and for once latics produced when we had to chase a game

Latics 3-0 Notts County - played great that day

Latics 1-0 Hudds - thrashed them 1-0!

Preston 3-3 Latics - going home in the car singing Wesolowski to Depeche Mode

Scunny 1-1 Latics - sat in scunny end fight infront of where taylor got their two sent off, they hated us and to get that Gary Mac goal was priceless

Bradford 1-4 Latics - Best individual performance from Wellens in only half an hour before he went off injured. Even Richard Butcher scored

Obviously the Everton and Leeds combo was utterly stupendous, and Reuben's goal was delicious.

However, the 1-0 away win versus Tranmere. We couldn't score for weeks and then bagged in the 93rd minute. Then a master swordsman who posts on here ripped my brother's bodywarmer in a show of delight...

LDV Northern Final leg one - Oldham 3-5 Wrexham. Absolute fantastic game, Juan Ugarte ripped us a new one and at 5-1 down hopes of reaching Cardiff had gone. Then out of nowhere we up the tempo in the last 15 minutes and pull two goals back from Eyres and Vernon(His second penalty after he'd missed one earlier). In the end we could have easily walked away with a 5-5 draw. It was a bizarre feeling walking away from a game in which we'd been 5-1 down in genuinely believing that we could do it in the second leg

Oldham 5 Walsall 2 - From 2-0 Eyresy has a stormer and scores twice in the last few minutes of the first half. The comeback completely shattered Walsall and second half we destroyed them.

Oldham 2 Bradford 1 - The joy of staying up when I genuinely believed we we're doomed.

Forest 0-2 Oldham - We hadn't had the best of starts to the season and Forest were everyone's favourites to win the league and going into the game they had a 100% home record. Nobody gave us a chance. I can remember listening to Talksport the night before and they said they said Forest would win comfortably. Porter scored twice and we took the points and kicked our season into life

Blackpool 3-1 Oldham (Play Offs).. A game which had everything. We were certainly hard done by. 2 goals disallowed and a clear as day penalty for handball by Ian Evatt turned down I was fuming and gutted but I left Bloomfield Road extremely optimistic that next season would be our year

Oldham 4-3 Millwall. Superb comeback. Enough said.

Oldham 3-1 Stockport - I have a number of Stockport friends and after they had thumped us 3-1 earlier in the season it was good to get our own back.