NHL 2012/13

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First time i've been on OWTB for a while! It was a great weekend indeed! Couldn't believe the Latics score when i got in from work, i had heard about the lockout ending in the morning and the cup win was the iceing on the cake. I can't wait for the season top start. The best thing is that the puck drops on the 19th and on the 22nd i'm moving from Halifax to Calgary so i will be in a city with an NHL team!! Gonna try and get to some games if i can get tickets. Hopefully the Stars will play the flames early on so i can go to the game. It would be awesome to see them play live, even if it is an away game!

First time i've been on OWTB for a while! It was a great weekend indeed! Couldn't believe the Latics score when i got in from work, i had heard about the lockout ending in the morning and the cup win was the iceing on the cake. I can't wait for the season top start. The best thing is that the puck drops on the 19th and on the 22nd i'm moving from Halifax to Calgary so i will be in a city with an NHL team!! Gonna try and get to some games if i can get tickets. Hopefully the Stars will play the flames early on so i can go to the game. It would be awesome to see them play live, even if it is an away game!

I had no idea you lived in Halifax (I assume you mean Canada, not Yorkshire!?), I visited there once - it's :censored:ing boring! No offence, of course.

I'm indifferent about the season to be honest. In so many ways I want to just tell them to go :censored: themselves... but then the last time the season was shortened the Devils won the cup so who am I to complain!?

I had no idea you lived in Halifax (I assume you mean Canada, not Yorkshire!?), I visited there once - it's :censored:ing boring! No offence, of course.

I'm indifferent about the season to be honest. In so many ways I want to just tell them to go :censored: themselves... but then the last time the season was shortened the Devils won the cup so who am I to complain!?

I read a report the other day that said the last time the season was shortened it was awesome as well.

I've often thought they play too many regular season games tbh.

Quite liked Calgary when I visited a few years ago. But given that when I went I've been warmer at BP in December and it was August I can't imagine how cold it will be in January.

Just been reading that Kovy doesn't want to leave the KHL this season, but obviously has to because of his Devils contract.

Sounds like its not that he doesn't want to go back to the Devils, but (like most of us) the lock out has pissed him off and he wants to finish the KHL season instead.

That's how I read it too mate - he's the star player for his home town team who are top of the league with about half a season to play... you can't blame him for wanting to see that out.

However unless SKA can come up with a tonne of money to give the Devils I expect Lou will want him back in Jersey before this time next week.

Firstly, my permanent residence is Oldham, i'm just travelling for a year. Secondly, Halifax is awesome, i was supposed to be here a month and i'v had so much fun here that it's been nearly 6! Calgary apparently isn't too bad at the moment, i know a couple of German lads there who say people are just exaggerating. It's been minus 20 here recently so i'm used to it anyway.

I am going to be rocking up at the big sports bar (Bubba Rays) on Saturday for the first puck drop and il be watching every single game. They say they pick up every game in the league so hopefully they will put the Stars/coyotes game on for me. Especially since it will start around 9/10pm here and there won't be many big games on then. Yesterday i bought tickets to my first ever NHL games. Saturday the 26th i'l be in the Saddledome watching the flames v oilers and then on Wednesday 13th Feb i'l be watching my Dallas Stars take on the Flames. I can't wait.

I'm jealous, the quality of the hockey when you're live in the building is just outstanding (unless you're watching Buffalo).

I watched some KHL last night - Prague v Bratislava. Very high standard (had not watched any KHL before) and atmosphere sounded incredible. Can see why some may not be keen to jump on the first flight home.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That realignment plan is rubbish. Uneven conferences of 16 in the East and 14 in the West. It makes it a lot harder for the teams in the East to qualify for the playoffs. It actually makes it harder to qualify anyway. Top 3 from each division and 2 wild cards in each conference. Whereas at the moment you just have to be one of the best 8 teams in the conference.

I've just been reading a news article from before they announced how the playoffs would work.

It said that potentially, playoffs would be divisional. And then once you have the 4 division winners, the semi finals would be seeded and national. So rather than the 2 eastern division winners playing each other, and the 2 west, it goes seeded 1-4, so both semis could be East v West. It was saying it opens up the chance of an all East or all West final (ie, NY and Boston playing for the Cup) which personally I think would have been damn good. But they haven't gone for that and they have chosen this crap new setup.

Not seen Staal yet - I didn't get round to looking at that link you sent.

Hadn't seen the realignment until this thread. Essentially the league have bowed down to the Red Wings. Yes they do have a lot of travelling to do but you have to draw the line somewhere - Chicago are still going to have to travel all over so why not have seventeen sides in the East? It's nonsense to have an unequal playoff system.

Anyway, we're smashing it at the moment. My policy at the moment is not to look at the fixture list to see when we play the Devs and run comes to a shuddering halt, as per.

• 2 weeks later...