Last Night, Slept on it...

We started poorly, and that is becoming an increasing issue. When we have to work our way into a game we tend to struggle. Walsall came out of the blocks and we were chasing shadows for the opening few minutes. Bit by bit we gained a foothold despite not flowing, and constantly giving the ball away. The sum of our attacking threat was a well-saved Free-Kick from the out of sorts Simpson and a snapshot from the disappointing Slew. When the goal did come, although M'Changama (who was my MOM by a mile) hit it well enough, Grof should have thrown his cap on it. From then on until half-time we were on top but failed to create another clear cut effort.

Second Half, plenty of possession but we either make the wrong choice or give the ball away. The equaliser when it came was no surprise, Furman, had, had a poor night playing too deep, wanting the ball when he simply couldn't affect the game and his cock-up was inevitable after needless backpass after backpass to Cisak. I agreed Slew had to come off, whether he was carrying a knock or not he had a poor night. As for Mantono, as well as Connor did at MK Mantono had looked a threat. The subs weakened us, as all attacking threat disappeared and pace disappeared.

Cisak - Nothing to do, but still nearly dropped a massive howler, similar to Grof's. Is concentration an issue?

Byrne - Good defensively, kills us going forward with his turns back or inside

JYM - Solid and dependable

Tarky - Did the simple things and stayed with his man, more like it!

Grounds - had a chance to seal the game, but overhit his cross. Looked good in pre-season, needs to push on more and up his game

Croft - Imo he flatters to deceive, but give the lad a target to Cross to!

Furman - Too much tippy, tappy :censored: that wasn't needed. Does he think he's better than he is? No need for him to be on the edge of his own box. Needs to work out the difference between tempo and a hot spud.

M'Changama - The one player who tried to keep us ticking over, all over the field, tackled well and fortunate with his goal MY MOM

Mantono - Much better than the other day, tried linking with the attack but did seem hesitant. Do Dickov's tactics hinder his off the cuff style?

Simpson - He had a poor night, carried on his whining and whingeing from MK. Needs to be in the box more and realise every move does not need to go through him.

Slew - Supposed to be quick, but seen none of that. Tries to get away with doing the bare minimum. Makes me weep that he is our number one target.

Hughes - No-one gave him the ball!!!!!

Taylor - No-where near ready for League One football

The manager: The biggest issue for me is that we are still trying the tactic of catching teams on the break but it hasn't worked for the 18 months the manager has employed the tactic, to do that you need a high tempo and runners from midfield, this simply doesn't happen. Instead we have players who confuse tempo with getting rid of the ball asap. Byrne is obviously a decent defender, but you watch him on Saturday, he gets to the halfway line then immediately turns back looking for a pass, terrified of leaving a gap behind him, same mostly with Grounds. Although there were a couple of overlaps last night we need that more often from BOTH full-backs. JYM and Tarky and consistently hoofing it up to Simpson which is a pisspoor tactic, JYM I can understand but Tarky can play football. Simpson worries me, he drops deep getting involved for a touch when he doesn't need to be there and if Slew was our number one target Paul, you should :censored: off now. That's 2 1/2 games now when he's not looked interested already, he's supposed to be quick!

How do we change this? Well first things first, we need to bin the trying to catch teams on the break at home tactic. Since Southampton destroyed us, Dickov has panicked and gone for damage limitation and if we don't get those early couple of goals we know what's coming.

(1) Allow the full-backs to overlap, if they are unable to bring fullbacks into the team that can

(2) We need a player in CM who can hold the ball and look around, oh for a Shez, Murray or Wellens. Young Burns who we binned was of this ilk...

(3) Win the ball in midfield, get it wide and cross the bugger, not piss-farting with tippy tappy inside.

(4) Get a big lad up front, or give Smith a proper go, it can't be any worse. With the instruction to hold the ball up and bring the wingers into play, then get on his bike into the box and cause havoc.

The easiest option for me would be to instruct the players to get the ball wide at every opportunity, you will not play through teams at our level as they're too well organised, so get it wide and load the box, play the percentages and please allow a midfielder to make forward runs.

It's going to be a long hard season, but there is hope there. Look at Tranmere's start, not a pot to piss in, full of kids and journeymen but they've put a team together. Sorry Paul, :censored: budget excuse doesn't wash.

Edited by oafcprozac

We started poorly, and that is becoming an increasing issue. When we have to work our way into a game we tend to struggle. Walsall came out of the blocks and we were chasing shadows for the opening few minutes. Bit by bit we gained a foothold despite not flowing, and constantly giving the ball away. The sum of our attacking threat was a well-saved Free-Kick from the out of sorts Simpson and a snapshot from the disappointing Slew. When the goal did come, although M'Changama (who was my MOM by a mile) hit it well enough, Grof should have thrown his cap on it. From then on until half-time we were on top but failed to create another clear cut effort.

Second Half, plenty of possession but we either make the wrong choice or give the ball away. The equaliser when it came was no surprise, Furman, had, had a poor night playing too deep, wanting the ball when he simply

couldn't affect the game and his cock-up was inevitable after needless backpass after backpass to Cisak. I agreed Slew had to come off, whether he was carrying a knock or not he had a poor night. As for Mantono, as well as Connor did at MK Mantono had looked a threat. The subs weakened us, as all attacking threat disappeared and pace disappeared.

Cisak - Nothing to do, but still nearly dropped a massive howler, similar to Grof's. Is concentration an issue?

Grounds - had a chance to seal the game, but overhit his cross. Looked good in pre-season, needs to push on more and up his game

Furman - Too much tippy, tappy :censored: that wasn't needed. Does he think he's better than he is? No need for him to be on the edge of his own box. Needs to work out the difference between tempo and a hot spud.

M'Changama - The one player who tried to keep us ticking over, all over the field, tackled well and fortunate with his goal MY MOM

Mantono - Much better than the other day, tried linking with the attack but did seem hesitant. Do Dickov's tactics hinder his off the cuff style?

Simpson - He had a poor night, carried on his whining and whingeing from MK. Needs to be in the box more and realise every move does not need to go through him

Slew - Supposed to be quick, but seen none of that. Tries to get away with doing the bare minimum. Makes me weep that he is our number one target.

The manager: The biggest issue for me is that we are still trying the tactic of catching teams on the break but it hasn't worked for the 18 months the manager has employed the tactic, to

Ldo that you need a high tempo and runners from midfield, this simply doesn't happen. Instead we have players who confuse tempo with getting rid of the ball asap. Byrne is obviously a decent defender, but you watch him on Saturday, he gets to the halfway line

then immediately turns back looking for a pass, terrified of leaving a gap behind him, same mostly with Grounds. Although there were a couple of overlaps last night we need that more often from BOTH full-backs. JYM and Tarky and consistently hoofing it up to Simpson which is a pisspoor tactic, JYM I can understand but Tarky can play football. Simpson worries me, he drops deep getting involved for a touch when he doesn't need to be there and if Slew was our number one target Paul, you should :censored:

off now. That's 2 1/2 games now when he's not looked interested already, he's supposed to be quick!

How do we change this? Well first things

first, we need to bin the trying to catch teams on the break at home tactic. Since Southampton destroyed us, Dickov has panicked and gone for damage limitation and if we don't get those early couple of goals we know what's coming.

(1) Allow the full-backs to overlap, if they are unable to bring fullbacks into the team that can

(2) We need a player in CM who can hold the ball and look around, oh for a Shez, Murray or Wellens. Young Burns who we binned was of this ilk...

(3) Win the ball in midfield, get it wide and cross the bugger, not piss-farting with tippy tappy inside.

(4) Get a big lad up front, or give Smith a proper go, it can't be any worse. With the instruction to hold the ball up and bring the wingers into play, then get on his bike into the box and cause havoc.

The easiest option for me would be to instruct the players to get the ball wide at every opportunity, you will not play through

teams at our level as they're too well organised, so get it wide and load the box, play the percentages and please allow a midfielder to make forward runs.

It's going to be a long hard season, but there is hope there. Look at Tranmere's start, not a pot to piss in, full of kids and journeymen but they've put a team together. Sorry Paul, :censored: budget excuse doesn't wash.

Agree with most but I'd put croft as motm over changy. Changys problem for me is he lingers on the ball too long, I thought he'd get better with this after a few month in English football, yet he did it alot last night and they snatched it off him.

Not singleing him out by any means, the whole team was dire. Just something I've noticed about him.

Agreed ?

Second Half, plenty of possession but we either make the wrong choice or give the ball away. The equaliser when it came was no surprise, Furman, had, had a poor night playing too deep, wanting the ball when he simply couldn't affect the game and his cock-up was inevitable after needless backpass after backpass to Cisak. I agreed Slew had to come off, whether he was carrying a knock or not he had a poor night. As for Mantono, as well as Connor did at MK Mantono had looked a threat. The subs weakened us, as all attacking threat disappeared and pace disappeared.

Simpson - He had a poor night, carried on his whining and whingeing from MK. Needs to be in the box more and realise every move does not need to go through him.

The manager: The biggest issue for me is that we are still trying the tactic of catching teams on the break but it hasn't worked for the 18 months the manager has employed the tactic, to do that you need a high tempo and runners from midfield, this simply doesn't happen. Instead we have players who confuse tempo with getting rid of the ball asap. Byrne is obviously a decent defender, but you watch him on Saturday, he gets to the halfway line then immediately turns back looking for a pass, terrified of leaving a gap behind him, same mostly with Grounds. Although there were a couple of overlaps last night we need that more often from BOTH full-backs. JYM and Tarky and consistently hoofing it up to Simpson which is a pisspoor tactic, JYM I can understand but Tarky can play football. Simpson worries me, he drops deep getting involved for a touch when he doesn't need to be there and if Slew was our number one target Paul, you should :censored: off now. That's 2 1/2 games now when he's not looked interested already, he's supposed to be quick!

How do we change this? Well first things first, we need to bin the trying to catch teams on the break at home tactic. Since Southampton destroyed us, Dickov has panicked and gone for damage limitation and if we don't get those early couple of goals we know what's coming.

The easiest option for me would be to instruct the players to get the ball wide at every opportunity, you will not play through teams at our level as they're too well organised, so get it wide and load the box, play the percentages and please allow a midfielder to make forward runs.

?

Edited by Libertine

need a dominant midfield player and centreback. losing Brown has been a blow.

need cover/competiton for simpson.

need a bit of experience.

really need proven quality, but can't afford it.

koumas is out of work, but is he a domnant midfield player? past it now.

baxter still not signed up, but another youngster.

really need two good signings who can dominate games from midfield and the back

plus side - we can see problems now, in good time, and fix them. better now than later.

minus side - can we afford to fix it? hope so, because this squad is too weak.

Did watch the game and you just can't single out him for not trying when other players around him where slowing the play up. Yes he was not very good but wasn't the only one.

Edited by jburbri

Not having support doesn't make up for a lack of effort, watch the game. He's supposedly pacy, not seen that here or at MK

-

If Cisak would play it forward quickly after catching across we'd see it. But he seems to wait until Simpson is there and then punt it to him when the oppo defence is back. Happened last season with KMB from corners, if he'd just play it quickly they would be in behind the defence with ease..

If Cisak would play it forward quickly after catching across we'd see it. But he seems to wait until Simpson is there and then punt it to him when the oppo defence is back. Happened last season with KMB from corners, if he'd just play it quickly they would be in behind the defence with ease..

Agree the team seems to revolve around Simpson,which it shouldn't it seems though when we're attacking it's four five one with Simpson in midfield.

Having a go at slew. He had no support was making runs.

Agreed he got off a couple of decent chances and made some good runs but didnt get the ball. Showed some good tocuhes as well.

I do think he doesnt look as quick as we were led to belive. He seems pacy but not electric in the wayne andrews/Jermaine Johnson scheme of things

Simpson is being used as the target man it seems one the one occasion the ball went direct to slew. Simpson was going mental

Having a go at slew. He had no support was making runs. What we need is a creative midfielder.

I agree John, like I mentioned before Walsall played 4-1-4-1 that extra man at the back had a massive impact on the game and everytime Simpson or Slew got the ball they had two men on them, they had no support. So everytime it went backwards

It looks like Dickov has a dilemma with Simpson; he wants to utilise his creativity but then also play him up front as a target man. PD has to choose one of the options and notrely on Simpson to do both of these things at the same time resulting in him doing neither of the jobs sufficiently well enough. Once there's a clear plan for how to use Simpson he can change the team accordingly. Either playing a tall striker to capitalise on the crosses that Croft and Montano could provide allowing Simpson to roam around in front of the defence and spread the play to the wide men or to play him as a out-and-out striker, assisting another of the 3 strikers to develop a partnership with Simpson that can lead to goals.

Edited by NewBlue

We need to play four four two. We need support up top for slew. It happened last season with kuqi no support for a number nine.

It depends how you play 4-4-2 the problem under Penney was that you had 4 midfielders in a line then 2 strikers completely isolated up the top who were usually being man marked out of the game. The reason why teams play an attacking midfielder in the hole instead of an extra striker is because they're harder to man mark meaning they usually have to drag a centre back out of position to deal with him. Sheridan was successful with it because he had Davies/Allesandra/Smalley who were much more versatile than Simpson plus Shez usually had a quality front man in Hughes/Porter who would stay up top. Whereas I think Dickov wants the striker to assist the attacking mid a bit more because I think Dickov is a bit more defence minded than Shez. The question is how do you deal with the extra man Walsall had back?

Edited by Tommy_Fent

It depends how you play 4-4-2 the problem under Penney was that you had 4 midfielders in a line then 2 strikers completely isolated up the top who were usually being man marked out of the game. The reason why teams play an attacking midfielder in the hole instead of an extra striker is because they're harder to man mark meaning they usually have to drag a centre back out of position to deal with him. Sheridan was successful with it because he had Davies/Allesandra/Smalley who were much more versatile than Simpson plus Shez usually had a quality front man in Hughes/Porter who would stay up top. Whereas I think Dickov wants the striker to assist the attacking mid a bit more because I think Dickov is a bit more defence minded than Shez.

Fair enough but u still could have attacking mid if you play a diamond formation then two up top.

I like the detailed analysis. I thought Furman was so cautious because M'Changama was charging about all over the place. I also felt M'Changama could have done more with less effort as he seemed to me to be running out of position and I felt this resulted in Croft being drawn inside. The right side defence is a problem for Croft because neither Byrne nor James have the pace to get back should they go forward - I suspect Byrne would be more adventurous if he had a faster CM inside but that isn't going to happen.

There is hope with this group of players but my hope has been downgraded to survival after what I have seen so far.

Smith must wonder why he is at the club when Slew and Taylor are both ranked above him. Give him a run PD he couldn't do worse and might develop into the target man we desperately need.

Where are the words of encouragement from PD on the website?

Fair enough but u still could have attacking mid if you play a diamond formation then two up top.

that's probably what I'd of gone with, ultimately I think to be successful these days you need versatile players so that you can change the formation when it's not working