Starting line up vs Portsmouth?

What would be your starting line up against portsmouth? Mine would be (4-4-2) cisak, grounds, mvoto, byrne, brown, montano, m'changama, furman, croft, smith and simpson. Read on OS slew has gone back to blackburn with a back problem so i'm assuming he wont be available.

What would be your starting line up against portsmouth? Mine would be (4-4-2) cisak, grounds, mvoto, byrne, brown, montano, m'changama, furman, croft, smith and simpson. Read on OS slew has gone back to blackburn with a back problem so i'm assuming he wont be available.

This line up would be mine too but when Slew comes back I'd have him in the team in a partnership with Smith.

I just hope that Dickov reinforces to the wingers that they must get wide and cross the ball into Smith, Dickov should be hammering it home to them this week that he's there for a reason and if we get balls into the box he's likely to get onto the end of them.

Cisak

Brown - Byrne - Mvoto - Grounds

Croft - Furman - M'changama - Hughes

Smith - Simpson

If Simpson isn't pulling his weight drag him off for Taylor, Dickov needs to show him he isn't immune from being dropped and everybody in the team has to fight for their place, same with all the other senior players!

cisak

brown byrne mvoto grounds

croft furman montano

mellor

smith simpson

4-4-2 with mellor further forward seeing as furman is a sitter and not all action ala Wes.

Mellor has the build, pace and confidence to advance the ball at defences and he would be given license to roam and attack.

Slew to come on after an hour to stretch them in behind

Edited by shefflatic

I'd chance a 4-3-1-2

---------------- Cisak -----------------

Brown - Byrne - M'voto - Grounds

---- Croft - Fuman - Montano -----

-------------- Simpson ----------------

----------- Smith - Taylor ------------

Subs: Bouzanis, Hughes, Mellor, Slew (He's back on Tuesday according to the OS), Millar, Tarky, M'changama

This would give Brown & Grounds the chance to overlap and interchange with Croft & Montano.

It gives you some flexibility. If Simmo has a stinker, put M'changama or Winchester on. If Montano tires, you've got Hughes or Mellor. If Smith or Taylor are struggling, you can shove Montano up (unless he's off by then) or Slew to hit them with pace late on.

Edited by Bristolatic

I'd chance a 4-3-2-1

---------------- Cisak -----------------

Brown - Byrne - M'voto - Grounds

---- Croft - Fuman - Montano -----

-------------- Simpson ----------------

----------- Smith - Taylor ------------

Subs: Bouzanis, Hughes, Mellor, Slew (He's back on Tuesday according to the OS), Millar, Tarky, M'changama

This would give Brown & Grounds the chance to overlap and interchange with Croft & Montano.

It gives you some flexibility. If Simmo has a stinker, put M'changama or Winchester on. If Montano tires, you've got Hughes or Mellor. If Smith or Taylor are struggling, you can shove Montano up (unless he's off by then) or Slew to hit them with pace late on.

Does Changy deserve to be dropped? From what I've seen this season and what seems to be a general consensus, he seems to have been one of our better players. Personally, I would move Simpson onto the bench to give him the proverbial "kick up the arse" and get him back to being a footballer.

Does Changy deserve to be dropped? From what I've seen this season and what seems to be a general consensus, he seems to have been one of our better players. Personally, I would move Simpson onto the bench to give him the proverbial "kick up the arse" and get him back to being a footballer.

He may not deserve to be dropped, but it's a squad game. Simmo's best position, by his own admission, is just behind the front striker(s), so I felt that this formation would get the best out of him. I believe that M'changama would provide some zip as a sub but, as I've said elsewhere, I've not managed a game yet, so I'm going off commentaries, match reports and OWTB posts to form an opinion. I'll have a much better idea after we win at Pompey a Satdi. That'll piss my brother-in-law and nephew off.

He may not deserve to be dropped, but it's a squad game. Simmo's best position, by his own admission, is just behind the front striker(s), so I felt that this formation would get the best out of him. I believe that M'changama would provide some zip as a sub but, as I've said elsewhere, I've not managed a game yet, so I'm going off commentaries, match reports and OWTB posts to form an opinion. I'll have a much better idea after we win at Pompey a Satdi. That'll piss my brother-in-law and nephew off.

But my point is Simpson hasn't done anything this season, apart from trying to wind the opposition up (to little effect), to keep his spot. Changy has at the very least stepped up and is playing for the team. We have a habit of playing people on past reputations.

But my point is Simpson hasn't done anything this season, apart from trying to wind the opposition up (to little effect), to keep his spot. Changy has at the very least stepped up and is playing for the team. We have a habit of playing people on past reputations.

True about simpson, not seen him make an impact this season. But tbf to him few times on saturday he was dropping back deeper even than changy and furman, when we were playing keep the ball with tarky and mvoto, so that he could get some of the ball. Anyone else notice how furman seemed to end up at left back with grounds moving into midfield last 10 - 15 mins against stevenage?

Cisak; Grounds, M'Voto, Byrne, Brown; Croft, Furman, M'Changama, Hughes; Montano; Smith

I've only included Brown ahead of Tarky to provide support going forward. I wouldn't be horrified if Tarky kept his place. I definately think M'Changama should still feature especially as without him, Furman would have very little support in the middle.

Similarly, no-one would get hurt if Simpson kept his place but I'd quite like to see Smith winning balls for Montano to chase onto & I'd worry that Smith/Simpson wouldn't have to the pace to worry too many defences.

Cisak

Grounds......M'voto......Byrne

M'Changama Furman

Hughes..............................Montano

Croft...............

...........Smith

Mix up of the formation a 3-2-2-1-1 :wink:

In my honest opinion, I think croft could work very well in the second striker role, playing just behind Smith working his way round and using his strength to hold up the ball and pass it round.

Would like to see Hughes given a chance and for people to actually pass to him!

This is a very attack minded formation and i'm 99% Dickov would never use something like this.

Probable Line-Up

Cisak

Grounds Tarky M'voto Byrne

Montano M'Changama Furman Croft

Simpson Smith

I'd guess it's back to the standard 4-4-2 with the undroppable Simpson having a go up front with Smith.

Edited by Latics_Fanatic

Cisak; Grounds, M'Voto, Byrne, Brown; Croft, Furman, M'Changama, Hughes; Montano; Smith

I've only included Brown ahead of Tarky to provide support going forward. I wouldn't be horrified if Tarky kept his place. I definately think M'Changama should still feature especially as without him, Furman would have very little support in the middle.

Similarly, no-one would get hurt if Simpson kept his place but I'd quite like to see Smith winning balls for Montano to chase onto & I'd worry that Smith/Simpson wouldn't have to the pace to worry too many defences.

I think the smartest thing to do with the Smith/Simpson strikeforce would be to get it out would and send Croft and Hughes down the wing with Grounds and Brown overlapping and then one of the 4 whipping the balls in for Smith and Simpson as all 4 have decent crosses and Smith and Simpson are decent headers of the ball and then with Changy/Furman following up if it should get cleared.

How about this:

...........................Cisak

Brown

..................................................Grounds

............Byrne

........................Mvoto

...................................Furman

............M'Changama

Croft

...................................................Montano

...........................Simpson

...........................Smith

Formation-wise it's 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Bold, imaginative..............oh, yes!!!

Edited by mikejh45

He was the best of the CM imo in the first half. the one who kept his position ahead of furman but looked to get involved &created the best chance of the first half when getting behind their midfield and playing in Montano.

I struggle to understand the love everyone seems to have for Mchang. He has some excellent attributes there is no doubt, but I always seem to think it looks like he is still on a beach. Constantly drifting away from his position and leaving Furman exposed. Whilst it's great to be flexible and interchange positions he doesn't look like a CM to me. His role early pre-season on the left of midfield looked to have real potential cutting in to help out but Dickov jumps back on board the tricky winger tactic that always leaves the midfield exposed and overun, ala what happened in the 2nd half on Saturday.

I would look to give Mellor or Winchester a real chance whilst Wes is out. They are proper CM who have learnt to play that position yet being kept out by a technically good but positionally inept player, destroying their confidence in a season when they really need to be given the opportunity to make an impact

Edited by eyres_28

He was the best of the CM imo in the first half. the one who kept his position ahead of furman but looked to get involved &created the best chance of the first half when getting behind their midfield and playing in Montano.

I struggle to understand the love everyone seems to have for Mchang. He has some excellent attributed there is no doubt, but I always seem to think it looks like he is still on a beach. Constantly drifting away from his position and leaving Furman exposed. Whilst it's great to be flexible and interchange positions but he doesn't look like a CM to me. His role early pre-season on the left of midfield looked to have real potential cutting in to help out but Dickov jumps back on board the tricky winger tactic that always leaves the midfield exposed and overun, ala what happened in the 2nd half on Saturday.

I would look to give Mellor or Winchester a real chance whilst Wes is out. They are proper CM who have learnt to play that position yet being kept out by a technically good but positionally inept woeful player, destroying their confidence in a season when they really need to be given the opportunity to make an impact

This. If Winchester was that bad, how come they barely had a shot first half apart from the penalty - and then over-ran us in midfield after half-time and should have been two or three goals up by the hour mark.

This. If Winchester was that bad, how come they barely had a shot first half apart from the penalty - and then over-ran us in midfield after half-time and should have been two or three goals up by the hour mark.

I like Winchester and have been looking forward to seeing more of him this season but would the fact that we were more exposed after he went off simply be down to the fact that we went from 5 down to 4 across the middle? I don't think Winchester was too bad but nor do I think he imposed himself on the game as regularly as I (still) believe he can.

I like Winchester and have been looking forward to seeing more of him this season but would the fact that we were more exposed after he went off simply be down to the fact that we went from 5 down to 4 across the middle? I don't think Winchester was too bad but nor do I think he imposed himself on the game as regularly as I (still) believe he can.

Exactly. He wasn't amazing but he was growing in confidence and offered some good passing, despite the main stand groaning at him for no reason. I'd give Mellor a go in a similar role. He's maybe not as good as passing but has the strength we lost from Wes.

Overall, your point backs my view that we should have kept the same formation for longer - just tweaked it.

This belief that we improved in the second half is rubbish. They should have been out of sight by the hour mark. They missed two sitters. We stopped playing football and just hoofed it. Only had Smith's shot and a few tussles in the box to show for it. If we'd built on first half, we might have had better passing and more chances like the great move, with Winchester's through-ball, that pit Montano through. We deserved to be level at half-time based on possession and chances; we deserved to lose by full-time.