The Fitness Coach-Not Fit For Purpose?

There's a bit of me that thinks all this has done is take some of the attention about what they do at the club from Billy Quarmby and put it on Paul "fitness" Butler. I fully expect Paul Butler to be helping warming up the subs for the next few away games as Billy is aparently off on holiday.

You know a lot about these things rudemedic and have posted some good advice in the past - is there anything you would recommend can be done to resolve what appears to be a general stamina problem ?

Edited by BP1960

Just as Dowie deserves credit for drafting in someone as good as Harbin, the buck stops with Dickov with respect to the current crop's fitness. It's up to him to get the right back room team in place; it's a very significant aspect of his role.

The difference between Harbin and Butler is simple, Harbin was a strict displinarian with a background in teaching and commanded respect, Butler seems to be one of the boys who has over time developed his role to be a silent assistant manager, on many occassions i have seen Dickov speak to Butler before making changes without even consulting Taggart, plus Dickov picks Butler up every morning, and is probably so far up his arse he doesnt know where Dickov starts and he ends, overall though if i was him i would be embarrassed at how easily we fold in the final quarter of most games, Sheff Weds this season a prime example and how much we switch off after half time, again in his sports science background its down to him to find a way to keep the players focused while PD offers tactical advice.

You know a lot about these things rudemedic and have posted some good advice in the past - is there anything you would recommend can be done to resolve what appears to be a general stamina problem ?

Aside from what Sly said, I do often wonder about training times. Games usually take place at one of 2 times 3pm Saturday and 7.45pm on a Tuesday. Yet professional footballers don't train at those times. Muscle memory and daily cycles are noticeable in many aspects of life- for example many people get up at the same time everyday because their body gets used to it. Whilst I don't know of any research that shows the benefit of training at the same time as performance there is some logic behind the method (and Rickie Hatton, who is good mates with Dickov, could tell him about it). Personally if I was in Corney's position I would ask why do we train at say 10am-1pm and then have lunch. If there is no evidence for it I would suggest the players train in such a way that they do the bulk and the high intensiry aspects of their training at the same time as they would normally play a game. With a late session once a week, preferably on a Tuesday, when there isn't a game on a Tuesday.

Also like I said in the topic about us training in the heat, whilst there is some researched benefit to training in the heat, altitude training has more research backing it. If I was taking a squad of footballers away for a pre-season training week I would probably look to take them to somewhere with a bit of altitude and a good chance of favourable weather, like Spain's Sierra Nevada.