Not wanting to beat the club here..but

I heard today they actually got 130 applicants, but a large proportion of them had asked for a form only to send it back with a tirade against the club 'who'd want to work for a :censored: club like you' shebang. Beggars belief.

In my experience, you don't get a response from people who don't want to take your application for proper jobs, never mind jobs like this. Anything to beat the club with ....

I heard today they actually got 130 applicants, but a large proportion of them had asked for a form only to send it back with a tirade against the club 'who'd want to work for a :censored: club like you' shebang. Beggars belief.

In my experience, you don't get a response from people who don't want to take your application for proper jobs, never mind jobs like this. Anything to beat the club with ....

^

This

Tbf it's only a :censored:ty turnstile job on a Saturday. What feedback could they give? "Uh, sorry, you haven't got the job, but here's where you went wrong in case you apply for another turnstile job".

Most businesses don't give you any feedback for full time positions so the club really haven't done anything wrong by not contacting the applicants individually, because let's be honest, most people won't be arsed either way whether they got it or not, it's a free season ticket more than anything else.

Does that make it right???

When people apply it can take hours to prepare.

To decline someone it takes a single e mail or letter!

And do you really believe I would want to beat my club over nothing? or do I love my club.

I was, for a short time, part of a new recruitment team (4 people) for a bank employing 2,000 people in multiple locations across the North West.

It was eye-opening stuff.

People who couldn't fill in forms. People who couldn't pass a basic maths test where 11/40 was enough to get to the next stage. Then it was on to a role play (can you sell stuff?) and an interview.

When the team was set up, it was with the full intention of contacting every applicant with feedback. Within weeks it became clear that this was an impossible task (resource wise) and it was agreed that feedback would only be given on request. Requests were surprisingly rare.

I can't see how a small business such as Latics can be expected to feedback on all applications declined without interview. Or even after interview.

But I do think a polite reply is in order for any genuine application.

So you had 2000 and Latics have 70. Yes I can see how that would be the same!!

Multi-billion pound company with dedicated recruitment resource couldn't manage it for a job that is supposedly a career.

Tin pot football club with no dedicated resource isn't going to find it easier for somebody operating a turnstile for an hour once a fortnight.

Edited by opinions4u

It takes one generic letter changing the name on it with a second class stamp on an envelope. Along with some good manners to those who sort to help out. The OS piece claimed it was impossible. Really?

Anyway, I believe every company should at least respond. That's me, not everyone.

It takes one generic letter changing the name on it with a second class stamp on an envelope. Along with some good manners to those who sort to help out. The OS piece claimed it was impossible. Really?

Anyway, I believe every company should at least respond. That's me, not everyone.

I agree that a written response is appropriate.

My comment was predominantly around personal feedback on the reasons for rejection.

In fairness though you say that like it would take minutes, it could take at least an hour or more and which already overworked member of staff should increase their workload? People should get responses but they don't, besides speaking as someone who has applied for many jobs and not heard from the vast majority I prefer not getting a letter with the fake apology and promise.

It wasn't a difficult application form to fill in. I have no idea how they chose people, but to be honest I don't think there's any reason to provide feedback. I doubt it would be of any real use to the people who applied.

If you look at the costs of the time it would take to produce a mail merge data spreadsheet, the time to produce a letter, stuff envelopes and then actually pay to post them, it would all add up.

Yes it may be nice for people to be told they haven't been successful for a job, but in my experience this just doesn't tend to happen much. Be it a casual job like this or a career type job.

In my opinion I don't think the club have done anything wrong as essentially they have let the unsuccessful applicants know on the official site.

I agree that a written response is appropriate.

My comment was predominantly around personal feedback on the reasons for rejection.

Probably not a lot of feedback to give, probably the vast majority who applied would've been more than qualified to do the job. Out of interest, was there a question on the application form asking if you attended games?

Might have employed people who didn't go to games on the grounds that it'd have been a reduction of income if we'd have employed paying punters.

I don't think it's actual ' feedback ' anyone wants for a job of this type, just some acknowledgement that their application was indeed considered or even looked at.

As others have said, a bog standard slip of paper notifying you that you were unsuccessful seems little to ask for as a mark of courtesy.

It's not just the club, it happens at most places.........doesn't make it right though imo.

What she said.

The club needs to appreciate that the vast majority of those who applied will be Latics fans and that the club's success (relatively speaking) is driven by its perception in the town and with its fans. Not offering a basic but courteous response to the each applicant does them no favours.