Great win (Why so quiet on here)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think yesterdays game was a marker for the fact that PD is starting (some would say finally) to learn from his mistakes - his 2 changes were made at exactly the right time. It was, unfortunately, heading for the 0-0 that Orient had come for - but he made the changes, and changes the tactics too - and we scored the 2 late(ish) goals and got the home win and 3 points. Before this mini-revival, chances are that I would say that PD would have kept things as they were - until 89mins when he would have most likely put Smith on. He is using his squad now, and he's not only changing players when he makes a sub - but also the team shape and tactics. His change in bringing Smith on won us the game IMO.

As this seems to be the thread where posters are holding their hands up - i'll join in. Credit where its due, Matt Smith was excellent yesterday. I've been very critical on him (rightly IMO mind) and the fact that he didn't impose himself on games, or have an effect on the game in any way. Having been at Bramall Lane to see him connect (just!) with Baxter's cross, and then to see the imppact he had yesterday - I think it's only fair to say that he's starting to actually now do the one main issue I had with him - impact games. Neither Chorley nor Clarke could handle him when he came on, and their whole back 5 collectively :censored: themselves when he came on and started to put himself about, and win headers. So much better, and if he continues in this vein over the coming months, he might just convince me that he does have a future in league football afterall. Keep it up Smithy!

As for the rest, here's my take -

Bouzanis was excellent - I really like the dimension he brings to the side with his distribution. Apart from the free-kick 2nd half (where i actually think he was shooting?), his kicking was spot on, and some of his passes out from the back; out to Croft, Simpson & Montano were top draw. He is in on merit, and Cisak might be in for a long spell on the sidelines at the rate Bouzy is going.

Wabara - very impressive again. IMO, we need to secure him to a season-long loan asap. I have a feeling though that Citeh will do what Chelski did with Bertrand and Reece will be off to the Championship in Jan. Linked with Croft really well, and was a threat over-lapping all game.

JYM & Byrne - very solid again from the 2 CB's. Big Jean should have done far better with his 1st headed chance, and Cliff does use his hands and elbows more than I like a CB to do, but that's knit-picking on 2 solid games from the 2 of them.

Grounds - after a so-so start this season, the last2/3 games, he's started to settle and look the part. On this form right now, he looks a very good League One LB indeed.

Wes - basically did what we've come to expect from Wes. He's so pivitol to the way we play. Led by example and did the ugly stuff all game. He also broke forward more than several times, linked well with Baxter and was unlucky with his 2nd half shot too.

Simpson - the one stumbling block really - just where does he fit in to our side? He's not a CM, and was caught out a few times, and with Baxter & Derbyshire here, he's down the line upfront now too. Furman back in on Tuesday with Robbie on the bench for me.

Montano - clearly not fit, and had a bit of an off-game, but still worked hard. I like him though, I think he's been a very good signing.

Croft - my MoM, (for a fat lad!) his workrate is outstanding, and his link up play with Wabara and Baxter was a constant feature of our best play. I hope he stays fit, as we'll miss him hugely if he drops out of the side IMO.

Baxter - a class apart really. His touch, vision, guile and just plain ability is far above anything we've had in years in years. Bold statement, but for me, I'd say he's the most talented player we've had since Shez was pulling the strings for us. I just can't see him staying with us beyond this short-term deal, so it really is enjoy it while it last's IMO - but he's been the spark that has got our season going - and that goal was just sheer class.

Derbyshire - finally, after years & years of trying, we've signed a striker on loan who delivers. I don't think i'd ever seen a full 90mins of him; just MOTD hightlights from his Blackburn days, and I didn't realise he was such a grafter. I had him down for a stay in & around the box type- but he's so not. His channel runs are top-draw, his movement is a class above anything we've seen in years, he closes down and runs & runs - AND he scores goals. Similar to Baxter, I can't see us being able to keep him, but again - just enjoy it while he's here, as we haven't had many better strikers than him in the 20-odd years I've been watching IMO.

Young Sutherland - as I've posted on another thread, he "looks" a player. A couple of decent touches, and he worked hard and held his position to help the team shape. I'm not sure what's happened to Connor Hughes, as I like the look of him too, but Sutherland looks another decent prospect for the LW. If Montano drops out, I wouldn't have any qualms in putting this lad in.

Finally - the Manager. As above, he looks to have turned it around. He looks to have shaken off the deep lying tactics, and has let the CM's and Full-backs get forward. His decision to bring in the 3 - Wabara, Derbyshire and Baxter - looks to be inspired. He needed, the side needed, and the fans needed a spark, and PD found 3 of them. The pieces look to be clicking again, and he looks a different manager on the touchline too. I wanted him to turn it around, and it looks like he's well on the way to doing just that.

4 big results and 10 from 12 was what was needed. Hopefully he and side can continue it; starting on Tuesday!

I think its a measure of how far we have come in 3 weeks that we won a game that would have finished 0-0 or lost 1-0 only a few weeks ago ala Coventry or the 1-1 draw with Walsall.

You can buy players left right and centre but my god if you could buy confidence as a person he would be priceless and its showing

Confidence and team spirit is always the key. But it's helped by the class of Baxter, Derbyshire and Warbara.

Gotta say....more often than not, I agree with O4Us postings, he usually talks sense, with reasoned discussion and intelligent prose. However, on this occasion, he couldn't be more wrong. Some of the stuff we played on Saturday was excellent. Some of the distribution and energy on show was better than most of what I've been watching in the last 4 years. YES occasionally, we'll slip up - we are where we are after all, but the entertainment and passion on show is so far away from the first few games that I have rekindled my enthusiasm of being a Latic again!. I'm actually looking forward to games again rather than it feeling like a duty visit. Although 4 games in doesn't necessarily mean the tide has turned, it's a great start, and though I have criticised the results of the manager in the past (but never the man himself), I can only applaud what I'm seeing at the moment. We MUST take as many steps as we can to sign Baxter. Offer him a decent salary (maybe similar to Taylors when he left), a 3 year deal with an option to leave if the money is right.... SIGN HIM UP

The longer the game went on the more convinced I became that it was going to be a 0-1, we'd missed our chances when being on top and then sat back when they attacked us, had a typical not our day about it.

The goal not only lifted us, it also crushed them, their heads dropped and the league might as well have given us the points then. The second goal meant we didn't have the awful last few minutes of clinging on and waiting for them to equalise. In all fairness it was a regulation win, when you look at the fixtures on a Saturday and see we're playing such and such, Orient at home should be a nice 3 points and this week it was.

For me one of the biggest things in football is partnerships and this was the root cause of us misfiring earlier in the season, our full backs didn't know their winger, they didn't know their centre back, the centre backs didn't know their partners (apart from the odd Tarky Mvoto games) and the strikers didn't know their strike partner either. The signs were there though and it was only going to be a matter of time until things slotted into place and the effort the players were putting in started getting the reward. A couple of knocks and or contract situations will see us back to earth with a bump but that is football but I'm pleased the air of despondency has lifted a bit and long may that continue.

Wa

Cracking win, the type we usually slip up on, good to see things are changing!

And I also have to give a special mention to Baxter for that goal, ooosh!

Was that "ooosh" inspired by Sky Sports News's Goals Express bloke, who usually gives an "ooof" or an "Phwooooar" whenever a netbuster goes in, but could only manage a surprised "that was a good goal" when he saw Baxter's strike?!

It was a great win, but to be fair I've yet to see a bad one.

I think yesterdays game was a marker for the fact that PD is starting (some would say finally) to learn from his mistakes - his 2 changes were made at exactly the right time. It was, unfortunately, heading for the 0-0 that Orient had come for - but he made the changes, and changes the tactics too - and we scored the 2 late(ish) goals and got the home win and 3 points. Before this mini-revival, chances are that I would say that PD would have kept things as they were - until 89mins when he would have most likely put Smith on. He is using his squad now, and he's not only changing players when he makes a sub - but also the team shape and tactics. His change in bringing Smith on won us the game IMO.

Totally agree. Cov @ home being a perfect illustration. He should have made the changes at the same point during that game. He didn't, he delayed and delayed and we got badly stung by it. Saturday was panning out in exactly the same manner and I could see us caving in to a scrappy goal in the last couple of minutes until PD made those substitutions.

Let's hope this is a sign of hings to come.